• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

got pro-rec'ed NFO, thinking of reapplying pilot only

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
and the recruiter didn't tell me that if I got picked for NFO it would be my job since I applied for it.
Seems kind of obvious to me. What did you think would happen? Apply for NFO, get accepted for NFO, train as a pilot? :confused:

bigstew60

Hey man I just pro recd for NFO as well and I wanted NFO as well. Didn't get it because I am 30 and they wouldn't give me an age waiver. The first time I applied (2 years ago)I put pilot as my only option and they weren't taking anyone for pilot at the time. They wanted me to put NFO on there as an option but I to the no because they also said I am qualified for pilot and should wait a few months for it to open back up. I then put in a package for the flying warrant officer program and was told I was two week over the age limit and they would only give me a waiver if I put NFO as an option. Again I said no thinking the age limit for OCS is 31. Now with that being said, if I had known they were going to change the waiverable age limit down to 29 for pilot I would have just taken NFO back then and been done with it. I think you should take it and make the best of what you have. If NFO was not an acceptable option, you shouldn't put it on the package. If you do decide to reapply, do not put NFO as an option if you aren't willing to take it. I know a few guys that wanted pilot but ended up with NFO and DORed from the program because they really didnt want it.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
I'm in the same situation. The reason I put down pilot and NFO is because my recruiter told me to. I only wanted pilot, and I wasn't aware that I couldn't easily reject NFO and re-apply for pilot. It was a misunderstanding, and the recruiter didn't tell me that if I got picked for NFO it would be my job since I applied for it. NOW I know.
i don't know about not easily being able to reapply, shouldn't it be just like before only now your just putting SNA down and explaining why you want to be a SNA?

is it the same group of people picking SNFO vs SNA?

Spence

i don't know about not easily being able to reapply, shouldn't it be just like before only now your just putting SNA down and explaining why you want to be a SNA?

is it the same group of people picking SNFO vs SNA?

What I mean is, I keep hearing that it's not easy to get picked up again. I keep getting threats about rejecting NFO. The recruiters are saying "Just remember what we have all told you about re-applying." Oh well, I want to be a pilot.

A recruiter at my NRD told me it is the same board who meets every time to pick.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
VetteMuscle427, your email signature about the COD is very uncool.

-Prior COD crewman

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
I agree with AJB37 and Skim, why put it on the application if it's not what you want? But, that's past and now you have a hard decision to make.

I had to sit through 3 boards before I was picked up as an SNA. Catch is, I only applied for 13900 (SNA) but the first two boards (when they turned me down for the front seat) still offered me a backseat (SNFO) slot. I'm not sure if this is common or not, or if it would be the same for you since you've already applied for both, but it does happen. Re-applying is definitely a big risk. If you're a qualified candidate, you should do fine. Persistence is key though, don't give up.

I am up for the October board and applied for SNA only. Hopefully I get it. If they offer me NFO but not SNA, I will hold out and try again. If I don't get SNA in the end, I will go to COMAIR and fly civilian...Wish me luck though, I belong in the navy!

-Ken

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
VetteMuscle427, your email signature about the COD is very uncool.

-Prior COD crewman

It's pretty accurate though. The COD is ugly, slow, fat and not fun to fly. However, by the time you get back to your hotel room, hot shower and meet the local British chicks out at the bar.......it's all worth it :icon_smil

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Bunk, I wasn't thrilled about getting COD's freshly out of aircrew candidate school. Its not a combat platform, not as glorious as some others. But, it grows on you really really fast. The plane is a work horse. It gets you home almost every night, to the girls and the beer, like you said. I really wouldn't mind flying CODs if I get selected. I think they are the most beautiful planes in the navy :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No one has mentioned it yet, but I want to make something clear. Putting more then one choice on you application does not increase your chances of being selected for your first choice. Some guys operate under he theory that it shows real motivation to be a naval officer, doing anything, and gets you some points with the board. NOT SO! It will increase your chances for selection, in the aggregate, because you will be considered for more options. It will not increase you chances of getting you first choice. If you will not take a second or third choice, do not put it down. Save everyone the trouble.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It's a gamble, if you don't get SNA, expect to do a LOT of explaining if you try to apply NFO again. However, if you reapply with only pilot, and explain how you truly only want the pilot slot, it will be understood although probably not appreciated. My roommate got NFO, turned it down and put in for SNA. He got picked up and now we're in API together. It IS possible and if you show them you truly want it, you stand a chance. However you decide, good luck!

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
No one has mentioned it yet, but I want to make something clear. Putting more then one choice on you application does not increase your chances of being selected for your first choice. Some guys operate under he theory that it shows real motivation to be a naval officer, doing anything, and gets you some points with the board. NOT SO! It will increase your chances for selection, in the aggregate, because you will be considered for more options. It will not increase you chances of getting you first choice. If you will not take a second or third choice, do not put it down. Save everyone the trouble.

I agree. I was rejected for both my first and second, got my third (which I did not think I would get). I only put down what I wanted to get and I am thrilled with what I got.