• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

got pro-rec'ed NFO, thinking of reapplying pilot only

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
When I first sent in my application I was applying for both Pilot and NFO, with Pilot as first choice and NFO as second. I had every intention of accepting NFO at the time. My package was pretty decent although it could have been better, as could my test scores.

Now I am considering reapplying for Pilot after retaking the test and sprucing up my application, including very relevant information that I left out previously. I've put the better part of 3-4 hard days of contemplating, researching, and talking with people within the service towards making this very difficult decision, but I feel that in 20 years it'd absolutely grate my mind if I sat there thinking "what if" I had reapplied with an improved test score / application. I realize there is nothing wrong with being an NFO, hell thats what my father was, however it was not my first choice nor my dream for the last 6 years. This was not an easy decision to come to.

So what is next? After searching this forum I've found that you can re-use your references, which is awesome. Can I re-use everything else that was submitted? The recruiter had to go to the court house and pull my criminal record for a speeding ticket, will he have to re-do that? I assume once I retake the rest and resubmit I've pretty much lost my NFO slot, correct?

Hopefully I'll make the November boards with my hopefully better test scores and application.

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
You don't know what ya got till it's gone...
Don't push your luck, you've struck gold any way you look at it.
You might find out that you've made the wrong decision in the long run, or that you haven't, that's the breaks in life, and for that fact they say that hind sight is 20/20...but don't take your SNFO slot for granted, you wanted in the Naval Aviation community, and you got it. Ultimately it's up to you, but why turn away a boon such as this? What if you don't get pilot?...what then? Take your chances I guess.

Good luck with everything.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Aw...the glamour of being a pilot

pilotkissinggirleb8.jpg

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
You don't know what ya got till it's gone...
Don't push your luck, you've struck gold any way you look at it.
You might find out that you've made the wrong decision in the long run, or that you haven't, that's the breaks in life, and for that fact they say that hind sight is 20/20...but don't take your SNFO slot for granted, you wanted in the Naval Aviation community, and you got it. Ultimately it's up to you, but why turn away a boon such as this? What if you don't get pilot?...what then? Take your chances I guess.

Good luck with everything.

I realize that I'm giving up something big, which is why I don't take this decision lightly. However, not knowing if I had given up my first choice due to not reapplying with an updated and much better package would drive me nuts my entire career. Its a gamble to give this up to attempt a bus driver spot, but its a gamble I'm willing to take :).

I guess I've answered most of my questions through more searching. This forum is a wealth of info, there should be a wiki to help wrap it all up.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I realize that I'm giving up something big, which is why I don't take this decision lightly. However, not knowing if I had given up my first choice due to not reapplying with an updated and much better package would drive me nuts my entire career. Its a gamble to give this up to attempt a bus driver spot, but its a gamble I'm willing to take :).

I guess I've answered most of my questions through more searching. This forum is a wealth of info, there should be a wiki to help wrap it all up.

If you don't hang your balls out there, you'll never know. As long as you understand the consequences, no crying if the results are what you wanted. Good luck.

tiger84

LT
pilot
Before I heard back from the boards last year I had already started talking to my recruiter about reapplying in the event I got picked up for SNFO instead of SNA. I felt the same way you do in that I would have absolutely loved to be an NFO, but I would have wanted to make sure that being a pilot wasn't an option. Luckily I got picked up for SNA and it wasn't an issue, but I completely understand where you're coming from. Reapplying certainly won't make things any easier, but if you're prepared to accept the consequences then by all means go with your heart on the matter. Just make sure you thoroughly explain your decision in your package so that the board knows your motivation for reapplying.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Before I heard back from the boards last year I had already started talking to my recruiter about reapplying in the event I got picked up for SNFO instead of SNA. I felt the same way you do in that I would have absolutely loved to be an NFO, but I would have wanted to make sure that being a pilot wasn't an option. Luckily I got picked up for SNA and it wasn't an issue, but I completely understand where you're coming from. Reapplying certainly won't make things any easier, but if you're prepared to accept the consequences then by all means go with your heart on the matter. Just make sure you thoroughly explain your decision in your package so that the board knows your motivation for reapplying.
alright, so i'm not the only one to have ever run into this issue -- good to know not all is lost :)

i hope my situation turns out the same as yours.

tiger84

LT
pilot
alright, so i'm not the only one to have ever run into this issue -- good to know not all is lost :)

i hope my situation turns out the same as yours.

Well, not quite the same. What I meant to get across was that I got picked up for SNA the first time through and didn't have to reapply, but my recruiter was still on board with the idea of putting in another package in the event things didn't work out as I had hoped.

AJB37

This is something I don't understand, if people don't want to be a NFO, why do they apply for it? Does it make an application look more competitive if you're applying for both NA and NFO?

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
^
agree, why apply for it if you dont want it? Seems like those who do this are taking the spot of someone who wants it more than you.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None

So what will you do if you don't get picked up and have blown your SNFO slot? What will you say in 20 years when you take your 12 year old son to an airshow and say "I could have been in the back of that XXX"

Not trying to dissuade you, but be sure it's what you really want... because it really is a hell of a gamble. But if it's what you want, and you think you wouldn't be happy with NFO, then go for it.

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
I agree with AJB37 and Skim, why put it on the application if it's not what you want? But, that's past and now you have a hard decision to make.

I had to sit through 3 boards before I was picked up as an SNA. Catch is, I only applied for 13900 (SNA) but the first two boards (when they turned me down for the front seat) still offered me a backseat (SNFO) slot. I'm not sure if this is common or not, or if it would be the same for you since you've already applied for both, but it does happen. Re-applying is definitely a big risk. If you're a qualified candidate, you should do fine. Persistence is key though, don't give up.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I say go for it. If you want to be a pilot then don't take the SNFO slot. Reapply as many times till you get what you want or you are to old to do anything else. Otherwise I think you will be sitting around always thinking what if. On your next application only put down SNA. Don't put NFO if you don't want it.

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
put whatever you want. Next time, put SNA, SNFO, and Intel. It's like when you're applying to colleges, don't you apply to bunch of them even if you don't wanna goto some of them? Arite fine, I was jk, but quit being a hater you guys, I know very few who put down just SNA relative to those who put down both.

Spence

I'm in the same situation. The reason I put down pilot and NFO is because my recruiter told me to. I only wanted pilot, and I wasn't aware that I couldn't easily reject NFO and re-apply for pilot. It was a misunderstanding, and the recruiter didn't tell me that if I got picked for NFO it would be my job since I applied for it. NOW I know.