• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Got any good beer recommendations?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One of the things I have been enjoying about travel over the last year since retirement, is trying all the great craft brews that I don't see here on the east coast in Florida. Seems that lately there has been a resurgence of beer selection at the local liquor stores, recently both of my local liquor stores and Publix have greatly expanded their craft beer selections. Definitely having a good time putting sampler packs together and browsing some of the selections of beers and breweries I have never heard of.

Right now my go to beer has been the Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan.

lazy-magnolia-southern-pecan.jpg

Followed by Big Sky's Moose Drool Brown Ale.

IMG_5765.JPG

Any other off the wall beers, or good recommendations?

Last edited:

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can you get CigarCity brews up there? I haven't been disappointed in any of their stuff. They're out of the Tampa area if I remember right, I always grab a big bottle of whatever is fresh when on leave visiting my wife in Miami. Jai Alai IPA in cans is always one of my go to beers for boating and fishing. Jai Alai white oak is a good sipper. Good Gourd pumpkin ale for fall is a great choice.

Holy Mackerel is also out of south FL, solid offerings. Not sure if they distribute in north Florida yet.

Avery is out of CO, I think, they make a slew of quality beers, many in can format, good for bbqs and (again) fishing and on the water. I know they distro to FL.

Dogfish is now looked down on for "selling out/jumping the shark," but their flagship IPAs are all phenomenal (60/90/120 minutes). The weirder offerings like 61 minute IPA (controversial, but I love it), Red and White, Back and Blue, Peche, Indian Brown, all worth trying in a pick six sampler.

Victory Brewing, out of Downingtown, PA, near and dear to me, makes great, widely distro'd beers. Hop Wallop, Storm King Stout, Prima Pils, and last spring's amazing Swing Session Saison (not available now, hopefully coming back, low ABV, major flavor) are all good, some great, worth checking out.

Meanwhile I am on my lanai in Saint Lucia, alternating Heinekins for Appletons and Ginger Ales, starting hop withdrawal symptoms. Might be a side effect of my sunburn. I'll compensate on return with some Stone Enjoy By IPAs promised to me by my boys.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Solid. Thanks Zab. I am working on a Dukes, Bold City Brewery right now. Seems like life is treating you well! Cheers!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Absolutely love Moose Drool. Problem is I can't find it in DC. Dogfish Head 60/90/120 are great as well. I'm also very partial to Stone Brewery's more hoppy creations: Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard (both in regular and oaked), Ruination IPA and Old Guardian.

Right now, my everyday drinker is Raging Bitch IPA by Snake Dog.

BigRed389

None
Absolutely love Moose Drool. Problem is I can't find it in DC. Dogfish Head 60/90/120 are great as well. I'm also very partial to Stone Brewery's more hoppy creations: Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard (both in regular and oaked), Ruination IPA and Old Guardian.

Quibble: I think you mean Flying Dog.

Their Snake Dog is pretty good too.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I attribute my above average performance at INTAC to nightly exposure to Flying Dog Kujo coffee stout. Still aging a few 12 ouncers.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
One of the things I have been enjoying about travel over the last year since retirement, is trying all the great craft brews that I don't see here on the east coast in Florida. Seems that lately there has been a resurgence of beer selection at the local liquor stores, recently both of my local liquor stores and Publix have greatly expanded their craft beer selections. Definitely having a good time putting sampler packs together and browsing some of the selections of beers and breweries I have never heard of.

Right now my go to beer has been the Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan.

View attachment 13041

Followed by Big Sky's Moose Drool Brown Ale.

View attachment 13042

Any other off the wall beers, or good recommendations?

Russian River's Pliny the Elder and Younger are sex in a pint glass. Very limited distribution outside of CA/West Coast but if you are anywhere near a place that has either I suggest you taste. Pliny the Elder is a solid to amazing Double IPA available year round while Pliny the Younger is only available during the first two weeks of February and in limited supply. Places that have the Younger will receive one keg for one day and sell tickets to it. Worth it? Absolutely.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot

A second for Ruination. It is delicious and definitely my favorite beer on the "easier" end of searching for craft brew in South Texas.

Pags

N/A
pilot
For C7F folks I recommend anything from yoho brewery. They make some decent canned ales that are much better than the local bigs offer. Also, Bairds Brewery makes some good beers as well. Japanese microbrews can be very hard to find, but you can always order them via Rakuten and have Black Cat drop them off at your door a day or two later; cold and ready to drink!

brownshoe

Contributor
Yes... to both.

The Flying Dog brewery is here in my business park a few doors down. They have a tap room where you can go get smashed for free (at least their neighbors can :)). It's a small business park and it's almost like a little neighborhood. The people here are really great!

There’s another really good shop here as well AKA Frisco’s – good wine shop and a good craft beer shop. Friday night wine is a buck over cost and you can mix and match six packs of beer at no extra charge. Matter of fact I’ll be in there in around 15 minutes to pick up a case for the weekend, for medicinal purposes only mind you. ;)

http://akafriscos.com/beer-wine/

jtdees

Puddle Jumper
pilot
St Arnold's in Houston is always good, but can't get in Florida, at least not yet. Been really enjoying the Bold City this year, Green Room and Pingle Head aren't bad, either, also in Jax. Intuition is good if you like IPAs. Dig around the craft beer market at European Street Cafe for some real off the wall ideas - at least the one in Riverside.