• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good Starter Headset

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Hey,
I was just wondering what would be a good headset to buy if your going to be flying cessna's. Ive heard avcomm is good but does anyone have any other suggestions?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
the David Clark 10 - 13.4 headset can be purchased for about $269 on-line... check out the below link.

http://www.gulf-coast-avionics.com/list.asp?search_type=6&search_text=58

Its a little more pricey than AvComm, but if you can fork out the cash its a solid buy that will last you many years. The 13.4 is the ultralight model, so its light-weight and has gel-filled ear-cups, very comfortable.

I agree. I own this exact same Set and I love it! Cant go wrong with DCs

phrogpilot73

I don't own the H10-13.4, but I do own a pair of David Clarks, and agree with everyone here. Drop the coin. Get a good one now (rather than paying for two headsets). I've got two H10-60's (which they list on their website as the top of the line standard headset) and I love it.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
^^ The 10-60 is the kind of headset that out lives its owner. Ofcourse phrog is livin' the good life so he can afford a little extra pilot bling. ;)

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
An alternative to DC's is Softcomm. I won a softcomm headset and loved it, but now I own a DC. Both are nice, softcomm is a little cheaper (especially on ebay), but DC is better quality. Happy flying!

nugget81

pilot
I also recommend David Clark's - reliable, comfortable, and a great value. I've also flown with the Bose Aviation X a few times and they are extremely comfortable and quiet (ANR), but I'd be hard pressed to drop $1K on them....

FLY_USMC

pilot
My first headset was a David Clark H10-13.4 and over the subsequent years I've owned the David Clark H20-10XL as well as the H10-13XL...obviously not at the same time. A King Air I flew also had a Bose X already in it and as nice as they are, I'll pass based on the price. The ANR's have came and gone as I got bored with them, but my original 13.4 with an Oregon Aero comfort kit on it remains the only constant and after 12 years it still fits and runs beautifully. I highly recommend it.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Bose Series X.

Don't get a "starter" headset, get something good right from the get go. You won't be sorry. I've flown with DC, Light Speed, Softcomm, etc. Used my Bose for 5 years without a problem. Best headset on the market bar-none. You can probably find a good deal on ebay.

Jake E

I'll also go with the David Clark H10-13.4, especially since you're asking for a starter set. Bought mine when I started flying and they'll last for many years to come. I agree, the noise reduction models are nice (especially the Bose!), but for the combination of price/quality/comfort/longevity you can't beat the DC's for a first headset - or a second, or third, or fourth...