• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good excuse to not run distance

xmid

pilot
Contributor
He recommends running 60-90 miles a week to increase VO2 max... So, why is that a good excuse to not run distance? I don't get it.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Yea, one of them said to run 1900 meters (almost a mile and a quarter) in 5 minutes (which is world class speed). VO2 max is not the only thing thats important to running. If all you're doing is short sprints you're not going to have the capilaries built up or the slow twitch muscle fiber, etc. I believe the point of both articles is to mix in interval training in order to enjoy the benefits sprinting has on your VO2 max. Just working to build up your VO2 max is like building a 800 HP motor, putting it in a geo metro, and expecting all the other components to be able to deal with the power. Hard work will deliver results. There aren't alot of short cuts.

docholiday

"Good excuse to not run so much distance"

Did you start doing that workout and were you able to complete it? Cause I have been struggling with running and there is no way I could do that. The best I have managed to get down to is a 21:14 but I want to be at 19 or even 20.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Did you start doing that workout and were you able to complete it? Cause I have been struggling with running and there is no way I could do that. The best I have managed to get down to is a 21:14 but I want to be at 19 or even 20.

I'm not on anything that I posted in either of those links, but I've started doing more hard sprints than I had before (before I rarely did any).

I found a nice 150 yard + field that I can do them on, and I can feel myself getting better (slowly)

Take everything I say about running w/ a grain of salt, b/c I suck at it... 21:14 is better than me

Maybe they can replace the running portion with who can throw a baseball / football the farthest.... 300 all day long!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm not on anything that I posted in either of those links, but I've started doing more hard sprints than I had before (before I rarely did any).

I found a nice 150 yard + field that I can do them on, and I can feel myself getting better (slowly)

Take everything I say about running w/ a grain of salt, b/c I suck at it... 21:14 is better than me

Maybe they can replace the running portion with who can throw a baseball / football the farthest.... 300 all day long!

If you're training for the PFT, you might consider doing longer distance, higher intensity sprints than a 150. I.e., run 400's or even 800's as the interval sprints instead of a 150. The 150's will help though, so you don't necessarily have to stop those.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that running is also largely in your head. Raise your pain threshold and you'll lower your running time. I can run a 19:30 5k and that's at 230lbs. It hurts like hell, but tolerating it makes you faster.

docholiday

I'm with you on that

xmid

pilot
Contributor
When I started adding serious distance to my weekly mileage I brought my 5k time down to a PR of 16:57... I really didn't fit too many sprints or speed work outs in I just focused on maintaining mileage. I really got to the point where running 3.1 miles was like running to my mail box. I was so used to running 12-18 mile runs that it almost felt like a sprint to run a 5k. You will build up capillaries and VO2 max like none other to the point that a 5k is a mental test.

Ground&Pound

If you're training for the PFT, you might consider doing longer distance, higher intensity sprints than a 150. I.e., run 400's or even 800's as the interval sprints instead of a 150. The 150's will help though, so you don't necessarily have to stop those.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that running is also largely in your head. Raise your pain threshold and you'll lower your running time. I can run a 19:30 5k and that's at 230lbs. It hurts like hell, but tolerating it makes you faster.
I’m very glad to hear that there are bigger buys out there that run really good times. It gives me hope. I fluctuate between 239lbs and 242lbs and right now my 3 mile is officially 21:40 for a total of a 278 PFT. I’d love to have that 19:30 and I working hard to see that I get it. I’m doing intervals and long distance and slowly but surly my time and weight is falling. Any advice would be appreciated!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I’m very glad to hear that there are bigger buys out there that run really good times. It gives me hope. I fluctuate between 239lbs and 242lbs and right now my 3 mile is officially 21:40 for a total of a 278 PFT. I’d love to have that 19:30 and I working hard to see that I get it. I’m doing intervals and long distance and slowly but surly my time and weight is falling. Any advice would be appreciated!

Do a mixture of high and low intensity runs, you're trying to increase your VO2 max. The shorter, high intensity increases the amount of O2 your blood can carry to your muscles (plus trains your fast twitch fibers). The longer, slower runs will let your body recover as well as teach yourself the feeling of running that distance.

One thing about being heavier and running, or at least for me. I can't stress enough about having a good, not worn out, pair of running shoes. It'll save you so much stress on your knees. Also, and again this is also for me, but if I don't work out/run at least 5 times a week, I'll lose speed really quick. Right now, probably couldn't hit a 19:30 due to flying so much, but I know I could if I got back into it properly.

Good luck. Nothing more satisfying as a fat ass like myself blowing past someone on a 5k or the PRT :D

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Shoot, I think a 21:40 is pretty impressive for 240 lbs... Hard work pays off.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor

Yeah, that's pretty amazing. If you can carry a pack and have a brain you're probably about the best physical example of a young 0302 I can think of. I'm at the 282 mark and I'm only 190! BUT...FIGMAC.