• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good Enough For Ocs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloman

I'm a sr. ocean engineering major at URI with a GPA of about 2.6. I've been in touch with Navy recruiters who basically told me not to bother putting in an officer package because I would need at least a 3.2 to even be competitive. I have no physical disqualifiers and have perfect vision. I took the ASTB with a Marine recruiter in 2003 and got 9/8/9 with an aptitude of 92. All I have ever wanted to do is be a naval aviator. Is my GPA a definite disqulifier, or should I keep pursuing this.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Join the Marine Corps. They are generally less concerned with GPA's than the Navy.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
try raising your gpa this last year.. doesn't hurt to try... also try all available options.. i.e. air force, marines, coast guard, and national guard if you really want to be a pilot. Both marines and coast guard earn navy wings of gold btw.

erinbynight

erinbynight
Yeah. Get your GPA up to a 2.8. You took the ASTB? I thought the highest you could score is an 80? How did you get the 92? And from what I have read on this forum, "It doesn't hurt to try", and it seems like engineering majors have a good shot with lower GPA's than liberal arts do with lower GPA's. I would def. look into Marines though, as it seems the Navy is backed up with pilots.

melloman

92 was a typo, should have been 72. What are the possibilities of selecting for a jet slot in the Marine Corps as opposed to the Navy? I know I should think one step at a time, but just curious.

twidget

Deskaholic
Melloman,

Whatever program you apply for, you'll probably want to address the GPA vs. OAR issue on your app. Your scores are off the charts which shows that you have great academic potential. One of the guys at CNRC (Commander Navy Recruiting Command) told me it sets off whistles if there is a seemingly large discrepency in your ability and actual performance as shown through GPA. It may be the difficulty of the Major, working full-time, family issues, or any combination of these and other factors. If there's nothing you can really justify it with and you were just taking it easy your first 3 years you'll have to just kick butt in your last year, improve as much as possible, and show them you've finally got it in high-gear.

I don't know anything about you and your situation, just trying to give you the CNRC devil's advocate's view.

Good Luck, whatever you choose. Don't give up on your dream until you can't possibly be told "No" any more. Perserverence pays, I can attest to that. :)

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Your GPA is not an insurmountable obstacle with your ASTB scores. I got in recently with almost identical numbers. But you’re going to need some good $hit to go along with it, leadership experience, work experience, recommendations, flight time, etc. If you spend some time reading this board you’ll run into mentions of the “whole person” concept. Your GPA sucks, I know it, you know it, and the Navy knows it. You need to convince them that you make up for it in other ways and doing well on one test isn't going to be enough. Good luck.

Knightsgk01

Sub Nuke in Training
Dude, don't even bother going to the Navy for pilot. I just graduated from OCS and most of the pilots in the class have transferred over to the Marine Corps because the Navy is cutting pilots like crazy. Your best shot for flying at sea would be in the Marines.

Chopteam6

You should deffinately apply...don't worry about your GPA, as long as you are at least a 2.5 you should be good to go unless you are applying for Intel (they want a 3.5 or better). For flight school they are more concerned with the aviation and personality indicator portions of the ASTB/AOR. Good luck.

bigsur009

waiting not so patiently for OCS...
For SNA and SNFO, they no longer consider the personality component of the test. In fact, you don't even have to take it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.