• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good/Bad FBO Reviews

CJ21S

E-2 Bubba
pilot
I am trying to plan for a cross country this weekend from kingsville to pcola and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a solid place to stop in-between. I'm stopping in at Lake Charles on the way back for the 2 leg return but any ideas to make a 3 leg out there? Thinking of headig to Ellington for a gas and go but want some good eats between there and pcola. Any suggestions would be great

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Chennault in LA near Lake Charles is pretty good. The Crawfish etouffee is awesome.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Little Rock, AR (KLIT, hahahahahaha) has a nice FBO and contract gas. There's a restaurant in the FBO that's alright, and crew cars. Head "downtown" and hit up the place with all the big mouth billy bass on the wall. Awesome catfish and hush puppies.

Victoria, TX gives you food vouchers for free food at a local joint down the street. It was decent.

I'm still learning the PCola area FBOs so no comment there. I'm still pissed the BBQ shack at Sherman Cove is closed.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I've heard lots of good things about Chennault, but if I have to stop between Ellington and Pensacola, my first choice is Lakefront New Orleans. The FBO has Range Rovers for courtesy cars and you can take them down to Canal Street for dinner. I did a VNAV out-and-in there from Whiting for my last flight of Primary. I don't remember the runway length, but I think it's at least 6K - that's TW-2 SOP, right?

81montedriver

pilot
If you go to Victoria, I highly recommend the Salmon Burger. Another good place is David Wayne Hooks airport outside of Houston. There is a restaurant in the FBO to which you get a meal ticket. You end up paying abour 1 or $2 and they have very good burgers. Also, it's one of the few airports that have a water runway paralleling their other 2 runways.

sbeaTm08

Wake up, put a good dip in, crack a cold one
pilot
Another good place is David Wayne Hooks airport outside of Houston

I second that. I'm all about places where they give you a T-shirt, so saying that Hammond, LA also gives you a T-shirt.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Jack's Aces at Jack Edwards also gives free shit if that's your thing.

beaverslayer

pilot
If you go to Victoria, I highly recommend the Salmon Burger. Another good place is David Wayne Hooks airport outside of Houston. There is a restaurant in the FBO to which you get a meal ticket. You end up paying abour 1 or $2 and they have very good burgers. Also, it's one of the few airports that have a water runway paralleling their other 2 runways.

+1. The FBO gives you a voucher which makes everything under $10 on the menu cost $3, and the salmon burger is delicious.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Not sure if this is still the case, but Monroe, LA used to do food vouchers one of which was a pretty good Cajun place.

Not a free meal but worth the trip is Jim and Milt's BBQ in Tallahassee. The FBO there has a couple BMW 535s for crew cars that you can take into town. More excellent BBQ than I could eat was only 8 bucks or so.

If you're in more of a hurry, Mobile Downtown does pizza delivered to the FBO. You can call ahead on their base freq when you get in range so that it's waiting for you when you land.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
Chennault in LA near Lake Charles is pretty good. The Crawfish etouffee is awesome.

This. I hit it up twice in three days for the etoufee. However, I recommend the seafood combo: fried shrimp, fried catfish, and the etouffee. All one dollar. Goes down great with hot sauce.

Synix was also spot on with the Jack's Aces comment. That place is amazing.

I've heard lots of good things about Chennault, but if I have to stop between Ellington and Pensacola, my first choice is Lakefront New Orleans. The FBO has Range Rovers for courtesy cars and you can take them down to Canal Street for dinner. I did a VNAV out-and-in there from Whiting for my last flight of Primary. I don't remember the runway length, but I think it's at least 6K - that's TW-2 SOP, right?

I also would recommend Lakefront (KNEW). A 15 min ride into downtown and you can eat at Deanie's Seafood...which is outstanding. When I went to New Orleans a few months ago, everyone I spoke with recommended it. I had 12 fried oysters as an appetizer and some stuffed crab as an meal. My wife had some seafood pasta and we both got a couple of drinks and got out of there for like $60 or $70. It was well worth it.