• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good ASTB study guides

shadow9706

Hello I might have to re take the ASTB test again does anyone know of any really good study guides out there thanks

GreenLantern330

If you look through the ASTB threads here, you'll find a lot of good gouge. I know someone posted their own personal study guide, which seems to be a great help to everyone, you just need to download the document. I believe it was atrickpay or some username like that who posted it. Just use the search function and you can find it all. Best of luck on your next ASTB attempt!

EDIT: If the search function isn't much help, then try putting whatever you're searching for + airwarriors into google, and that should pop up. (ex - ASTB document airwarriors) - hope this helps

theimpal3r

can anyone confirm whether or not the gouge downloads on this threat are still relevant/accurate? I have about 1 year to study for the ASTB, and literally want to be as prepared as I can possibly be. Thus, it is important that what i study is accurate and not misleading or outdated.

Can anyone confirm that this gouge is still good?

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5804

Thank you so much and appreciate any help

theimpal3r

Wow. Great threads there GreenLantern. Thanks for those links, definitely appreciate that. Guess I need to get more familiar with browsing for threads that are older than just 30 days or whatever the default option is.

Another question I had was this: are there any good books on military aviation history? I've looked through just about everything there is on this site, but I was looking in the 1001 questions threads, and some people reported getting questions like "what was the primary bomber used in the 1950's?" and "what aircraft is most suited to taking out ground forces?"

Questions like those don't seem to be covered in most of the gouge floating around this site, and seems to me that it would require perhaps an outside book of some sort that goes through all the important aircraft the past/present.

Thanks again, and appreciate the congeniality of this board.

GreenLantern330

I, personally, have no clue about that. I haven't gotten around to purchasing it yet, but I know I'll be buying the Barron's book soon. I found a copy of the ARCO book in a pdf online (http://www.grafitto.com/~mark/astb/MilitaryFlight.pdf) but have not read anything about military aviation history or anything like the other question you posted. If I ever come across it, I'll let you know though. Good luck with your studying!

theimpal3r

thanks man, i've got about a year to study, and have printed out about half a pine tree worth of things to study for. I've got the ARCO book already and was going to purchase the barron's book before i head back to school.

TheBirdy

pilot
If it helps I took the ASTB on July 22nd. Took the paper version (didn't want to deal with computers and take the risk of them being slow), ended up being Form 3.
I haven't gotten my score yet from NOMI, but I think I did really well. The math section I definitely rocked, as well as the nautical/aviation section. Reading, mechanical comprehension and spatial were not that bad either. I'm confident I did well. I used..

-Marine gouge..really really good, basically mimics the math, mechanical and nautical/aviation sections

-ARCO Military Flight Aptitude Test Book..pretty good for the aviation/nautical and the spatial sections (though I feel like the spatial on the real exam is a little trickier), the math/reading sections will NOT prepare you for the real exam in my opinion.

-the ASTB Mechanical gouge..once again, really good for brushing up on those basic physics principles for the mechanical section

-if you're going for SNA like me, I used the FAA Pilot's Handbook (http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/), might be overkill because I don't think the exam goes into that much detail, but couldn't hurt to gain some really basic insight on planes right?

-Aircraft for Amateurs (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/intro.htm), really really good for understanding the basic principles of flight (AOA, parts of a plane, etc.) good for the aviation section

-this website (http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/course/p1-3_boatparts.htm) is good for learning the basic parts of a boat

-last but certainly not least, this members gouge served me really well when I was studying for the ASTB, if it's one gouge that you should study from, its this one, I don't have the link, but search the forum for atrickplay's gouge, credits to him cause it's one hell of a study guide. it covers all types of math questions and ways to solve them, aviation knowledge, meteorology, nautical knowledge, spatial...you get the point, use it. I highly recommend it.

Good luck.

Photon

ARCO and Barron's worked well for me to get an idea for what the questions were. As soon as you get those questions though you realize you won't be getting those exact ones. So things like mechanical comprehension, algebra, naval/nautical knowledge, and aircraft parts/pieces and whatnot are good to know.
For the math portion... if you don't see the mathematical trick right away... you're probably missing some underlying principle. Spatial Apperception to me was a (insert colorful word)... You just have to go with what looks the most right, sometimes you won't always get a straight up perfectly level plane when that horizon is dang straight as an unbent ruler. But the pictures are just as you see them in the book. Just go with what you got. I did notice a few discrepancies in a few books, but remember to practice some basic algebra and fractions and division/multiplication and exponents (just review). For the mechanical portion, it helps to have gone through a physics course or two once in your life. Everything else is just basic knowledge.
I just took it this morning and did pretty well, now I'm in the process of putting it in for the guaranteed aviation package. Should be a good time... let me know if you need any more info while it's fresh in my head.