• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going to NROTC. I am I hopeless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NROTCwannabe

Hello-

My name is John, although I did not put it in the user information page. For all my life, I was the opposite of the military. Pretty much, a few years ago, on the page with the war on Iraq, I would have called you all a bunch War Mongers. However, this is far from my view now, in fact, I am willing to join in the fight. However, there is the little problem of me being a senior in high school. However, as the name suggests, I am planning on trying to join ROTC next year. There is, however, a few problems with that. The most important ones are my phyiscal fitness. I can't swim (seeing how I wasn't planning on being around water) and I am in terrible phyiscal shape. I do about 75 pushup, max, 90 situps, max, 5-7 pullup, max, and a 1.5 run in about 12 minutes. If I go to ROTC, will they be able to help me attain the shape to be a Navy/Marine Corps Officer? And will they help me learn to swim? Thanks for any advice, and let's get Saddam, bin Laden, and the Prime Minister of Canada!!!

Tessone

John, those physical fitness numbers are not actually too bad. I would suggest taking swimming lessons, apply to NROTC, and apply to college.

If you are interested in joining the Marine Corps, you will definitely have a ways to go on the physical standards. I feel your pain on that one, because that's the one barrier that's keeping me from submitting my package. But it's gonna be worth it. :)

If you go to NROTC, you will do physical training (PT) with your unit. It would be pretty hard for you to not get into shape. I don't really know what the minimum standards are to be accepted into NROTC, but I've known some people who have gotten in that are not in the greatest of shape. I would recommend talking to a Navy recruiter or a Marine Corps OSO (look on http://www.marineofficer.com/ to find one). They can get you on the right path.

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

terryt88

I think Tessone is correct. Your scores are a great starting point. And yes, learning to swim is pretty much a neccesity. (I always thought it odd the number of people in my boot camp division that could not swim, and wanted to be in the Navy :) ).

I have to disagree with Tessone about talking to the recruiter however. In most cases you will probably not get the best information about NROTC from them. The best place to goto is to a school with a program and talk to one of the officers there. If there is not one in your area, I would sugggest emailing the NROTC unit that school you are interested in.

On the subject of your quote, "I was the opposite of the military" I would like to say that you have the same story as many people in the Navy. When I was a senior in high school, I would definately say that I was not military material. I came to a point in my life where I wanted something different and I enlisted. Now I am loving college and studying to be a Navy pilot. It's pretty interesting the cards life deal you from time to time. It matters though how you play them. (How was that for cliche :) )

Good luck!

Tessone

I think it depends on which service he wants to enter with the recruiter. Marine OSOs seem to give really good gouge, whereas my Navy recruiter was always giving me half-truths because he needed to meet quotas and stuff (he kept pushing me away from SWO because he had shortages elsewhere and SWO was more full). I doubt that's universal, but that has been my experience.

Emailing the NROTC unit is a good idea, too. Also, the NROTC website is pretty good.

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

grose3

pilot
John, I am currently an OC at NROTC Georgia TECH. At this command the requirements for incoming Freshman and Sophmores is just to meet the minimum standards dictated from CNET to pass the PRT. As a Junior and Senior you'll have to exceed commissioning standards (get at least a Good Medium) 66 curlups/55 push-ups/>11:30 1.5 mile run. Also, there is only one mandatory Batallion PT a week. Midshipmen are expected to police thier own physical fitness, however there are two additional remedial sessions for those that need the extra work.

jaznups

Yea, but when I got my ROTC scholarship I didn't have to take any physical test when applying. I suggest for you to apply now and you have the whole year to get into shape! I wouldn't sweat it... if you're motivated you can do it! Yea but keep in mind that all units are different.
Some schools have really hardcore units and others their unit is a joke. So I'd check out the unit too. I know at Penn they had PT almost every M-F and they were serious about that :)

But I decided to go to a different school that gave me a better scholarship package :) but I couldn't use my rotc scholarship which blew... so now I have to go to OCS which seems really kind of scary.

jaz

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

coffmanr

John,
I am currently attending the University of San Diego on a 4-year NROTC scholarship. Unlike jaznups, I did have to take a PT test while applying for the scholarship. However, with your numbers, I think you'd be able to pass it. As far as Unit life goes, my school has PT every Friday at MCRD San Diego led by Marines. Then, my platoon pt's about twice more. So you see, it's very hard NOT to get into shape. I think you'll be fine if your academics are up to snuff.

MIDN 4/c Robert Coffman

LadyJayUSN

NROTC...I think you should enlist...go NUKE, apply for STA-21. Not only do you get a great enlistment bonus, but at least then you can say you've spent time as an enlisted member of our proud Navy before becoming an officer. You'll have learned how to swim and you'll have passed the PRT.

"And that's about all I've got to say about that."

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Let me respectfully dissent - STA-21 is a great program but it's very competitive. In general, you have a better chance at a commission through NROTC. If your goal is to be an officer, pick the most direct route that give you the best chance to get there.

<<tali264 says i love the dolphins>>

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by LadyJayUSNAwe...why shot down so quickly!
Only my opinion...
icon_smile_wink.gif
Want another one?
Originally posted by LadyJayUSNHave you thought about the Naval Academy?
Yuck. [:0]

<<tali264 says i love the dolphins>>

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey nothing wrong with the NROTC program, each university runs each NROTC a bit differently. One of the great things about the NROTC is that it is not a 24/7 lifestyle (Unlike the Academies), so for the most part you are a regular student. There are some expectations when Uncle Sam foots the bill for NROTC: You must be in shape, you must get good grades (>2.5), you have to show up to where you are supposed to be on time and be in the correct garb and you have to play well with others. The NROTC program has gotten better in the past few years...keep an open mind, but I would not enlist with the hopes of getting into a commissioning program, it's a tough road to haul....I know I was enlisted for 12 years before I got my commission. Good luck in what ever you decide!
ea6bflyr[^]

Originally posted by NROTCwannabe
Hello-

My name is John, although I did not put it in the user information page. For all my life, I was the opposite of the military. Pretty much, a few years ago, on the page with the war on Iraq, I would have called you all a bunch War Mongers. However, this is far from my view now, in fact, I am willing to join in the fight. However, there is the little problem of me being a senior in high school. However, as the name suggests, I am planning on trying to join ROTC next year. There is, however, a few problems with that. The most important ones are my phyiscal fitness. I can't swim (seeing how I wasn't planning on being around water) and I am in terrible phyiscal shape. I do about 75 pushup, max, 90 situps, max, 5-7 pullup, max, and a 1.5 run in about 12 minutes. If I go to ROTC, will they be able to help me attain the shape to be a Navy/Marine Corps Officer? And will they help me learn to swim? Thanks for any advice, and let's get Saddam, bin Laden, and the Prime Minister of Canada!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.