• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going to Iceland

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I’m finally going to visit Iceland in April and was wondering if you all had any suggestions? I’ll be there for eight days and am renting a 4x4, but most of the highland F roads will still be closed. I’m going to drive around the whole island but have three things I really want to see: northern lights, volcanos, and glaciers. I appreciate any advice you have.

Maxillarious

pilot
I’m finally going to visit Iceland in April and was wondering if you all had any suggestions? I’ll be there for eight days and am renting a 4x4, but most of the highland F roads will still be closed. I’m going to drive around the whole island but have three things I really want to see: northern lights, volcanos, and glaciers. I appreciate any advice you have.

Northern lights are hit or miss. April is toward the tail end of prime viewing time, but it is still possible if you get lucky. Keep in mind, it all depends on solar activity. I was told by the locals in Alaska that 2-3a.m. is usually when viewing conditions are best.

Right now, the Auroral Oval is currently weak over Iceland and strongest over Alaska, Northwest Canada and Siberia, but again, that changes day to day with the flux of particles inbound from the sun.

During your trip, you can check the real-time conditions and space weather forecast here:
www.spaceweather.com

live map:
https://services.swpc.noaa.gov/images/aurora-forecast-northern-hemisphere.jpg

-Space nerd out.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Skip the Blue Lagoon.

We did an off road tour day (went in Jan. or Feb.--I can't recall) and it was pretty incredible, but very intense. We saw many people who were out of their depth and got very, very stuck. So if that's your thing, consider going with a professional.

If you want to see the Northern Lights, go earlier. Also, book that for your first day. Most of the tours came with a guarantee (though maybe that's only because we were in prime aurora season) that if you didn't see the Lights, they would send you out a second day to try again for free, so you want to make sure you have enough time to rebook. We did both a bus tour (barely saw any lights) and a boat tour (amazing, right up until the camera went overboard into the Atlantic). Boat tour is the coldest I've ever been, despite pretty good gear, but incredible.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My info on Kef/Reykjavik is 25+ years old, but there are a ton of spots to road trip to that are of interest. Spring will be cold, wet and very windy. Reykjavik is a pretty fun city, though the locals can be a bit xenophobic, though upon reflection, maybe they just lacked an appreciation for a group of 20-something Ordies who were all channelling Beavis and Butthead. Speaking of aliens, some of the opening scenes from Promethius were filmed there.

FWIW, I liked the Blue Lagoon - been there several times. Go there w/ your buds and be drunk.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Following this thread. A number of my friends have gone to Iceland recently since we have good non rev opportunities there. God my 2019 travel schedule is already filling up!! Too many places to go and not enough time!

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
good non rev opportunities there.

We do? It's a place on my list,but it is a seasonal route for American. I haven't looked up the ZED agreements for that route. Maybe this spring.

Obtw, speaking of nonreving. Hello from HKG. I just flew DFW to HKG. An almost 17 hour flight sounds pretty miserable, but Flagship First class makes it tolerable. I even got domestic First class on the DCA to DFW flight yesterday morning!

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Really, rent 4WD SUV (quite seldom environment when all the cars at winter wear snow tires with spikes - this is a law) and go driving offroad there. No one cares if you drive up the same hills along the closed roads. But watch the doors carefully - wind blows quite may tear the door off the car, and standard insurance does not cover this particular damage case! BTW, the best time there to enjoy Northern Lights is the first week of March.
Also you may take the helo exc over certain mountains and harbors. They fly absolutely crazy and absolutely safe:eek:

Last edited: