• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going to college completely FREE!

zilla

Hi guys,

I am doing some research for a friend. I understand that a 4 year NROTC scholarship pays full tuition, educational fees, textbooks, uniforms, and a monthly stipend, however, which schools out there will also pay the cost of room and board as an added incentive for scholarship recipients so that someone can go to school completely free of charge for four years. I know that they are out there! Has anyone had any experience with these schools? Are these added incentives automatic, or do you have to "qualify" financially for them. I think that this would be an excellent incentive and should be taken into consideration when narrowing your options.

thanks in advance

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
so are you looking for full-ride scholarships (with a monthly stipend) that aren't for NROTC?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where I went to school, which is cross-town with The College of the Holy Cross NROTC, pays full room and board for scholarship NROTC students. Nothing like a $120,000 education for absolutely free.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Jacksonville University and University of San Diego cover board if you're on scholarship.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
University of Michigan sent me propaganda about free room and board for an AFJROTC scholarship I didn't (thank God) take back in 1995.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
University of Michigan sent me propaganda about free room and board for an AFJROTC scholarship I didn't (thank God) take back in 1995.

What? That makes no sense, AFJROTC is in High School. Or were you in AFJROTC and therefore eligible?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think Norwich also provides free room and board for scholarship recipients.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where I went to school, which is cross-town with The College of the Holy Cross NROTC, pays full room and board for scholarship NROTC students. Nothing like a $120,000 education for absolutely free.

Holy Cross had a ROTC incentive grant where your room was free all four years provided that you enrolled to the school with a 4yr scholarship, and lived on campus. Not a bad deal.

WPI's deal was quite better... since they couldn't garuntee house for all four years, they just cut a check... what was it, every semester?... and sent you on your merry way. Although, that was the least they could do since the school was 70% male, and the 30% female population had RIBS (You know thinking about it Fly, that's probably the most realistic preparation for flight school- ever).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's not ROTC, but there's this school up north....damn, what's the name? They give you full room and board, plus a monthly paycheck AND they even give you clothes to wear. Crap, what's the name of that place? It's in Maryland somewhere, on that bay with all the crabs and stuff.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not ROTC, but there's this school up north....damn, what's the name? They give you full room and board, plus a monthly paycheck AND they even give you clothes to wear. Crap, what's the name of that place? It's in Maryland somewhere, on that bay with all the crabs and stuff.

*cough* this is the NROTC forum *cough* :D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
WPI's deal was quite better... since they couldn't garuntee house for all four years, they just cut a check... what was it, every semester?... and sent you on your merry way. Although, that was the least they could do since the school was 70% male, and the 30% female population had RIBS (You know thinking about it Fly, that's probably the most realistic preparation for flight school- ever).

Yep, every two terms (WPI is a 4-term school, very odd, and makes for a LIGHTNING fast learning pace) you'd get a check cut for the equivalence of your room and board if you were living off-campus. AWESOME deal if you score a good apartment and have a roommate(s). I banked bigtime.

Yup, WPI was excellent preparation. Extremely fast learning curves and no girls to speak of.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Details, details. Besides, nothing's for free. They'll get it out of ya! :)

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
yah, I was waiting for someone to explain the whole "completely free" thing...