• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going to be doing, armstrong, captain crunch, and run routine but when to do it all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future Prodigy

I am going to start armstorngs pull routine along with captin crunches sit up routine and a running routine. But the thing is i don't know when to do it all.

EDIT*my actual questions are stated at the bottom of the post*

Heres the actual routines which you are probablly alreayd familar with:

Armstrong Pull-up Program

This program was used by Major Charles Lewis Armstrong, USMC to prepare himself to attempt to set a world record in number of pull-ups completed in a single exercise session. The program provides the necessities for successful physical improvement namely, VARIETY, OVERLOAD, and REGULARITY. Users have achieved remarkable results in only 6 to 8 weeks. This means that most, if not all, have been able to meet the performance level they have set out to achieve, a single set of twenty repetitions.

It can not be overemphasized that his program depends upon regularity. Daily performance of the exercises listed in the following paragraphs holds the true key to reaching and to maintaining the twenty repetition level.

The Morning Routine

Each morning perform three maximum effort sets of normal pushups. The pushup is one of the best, single exercises for strengthening the entire set of muscles that makes up the shoulder girdle. Major Armstrong described his morning routine in the following manner. “After rising, I would drop onto the deck and do my first set of pushups. I would then move into the head (bathroom) and start my morning toilet. I would return after a few minutes and do my second maximum effort set after which, I would go back into the head to shave. After shaving, I would return to the bedroom and complete the third and final set. Having completed all of the pushups, I was awake and ready for a relaxing shower. “

This routine should be followed during the entire training period. Since it takes most of us at least four weeks to reach our goals, you will probably find that you have inadvertently established a morning routine that is easy enough to keep as a lifetime habit, if not, you will at least appreciate the morning shower a little more.

It has been noted that this pushup routine helps to alleviate any soreness during the first couple of weeks. It is recommended that you use the pushup routine everyday during this period so that you feel more comfortable during your initial adjustment to this regime of exercises.

Training Routines

The following represents the heart of the training program. I recommend that you do not attempt the pull-ups until 3 or 4 hours after the pushup routine was completed. The program is conveniently divided into five training days. This is easily translated into a Monday through Friday approach to pull-up training. It is important to cease the pull-up routine for two days, Saturday and Sunday. Further, it is necessary to use consecutive days (not to skip days) when on the pull-up routine. Finally, it is more important to do the pull-ups than it is to do the pushups.

The training program was developed to improve performance in a specific exercise, the overhand pull-up. The program can be adapted to doing chin-ups and flexed arm hangs. The program depends upon quality exercises, numbers of repetitions are unimportant. When you are doing these routines you should concentrate on perfect execution of each repetition. The only person that you can fool is yourself.

Day 1

Five maximum effort sets. Rest 90 seconds between each set. Do not concern yourself with numbers. You will find that you will increase the numbers in the last two sets before you see much improvement in the first three. Make sure that each set is a maximum effort set.

Day 2

Pyramid Day. Start the pyramid with one repetition, the next set has two repetitions, the next has three. Continue in this fashion until you miss a set. (e.g. your last set was five, your next set would be six, but you could only do four. You missed a set) Do one more set at a maximum effort. Rest 10 seconds for each repetition in the previous set.

Day 3

Do three training sets with a normal overhand grip. Rest 60 seconds between each set. Do three training sets gripping the bar so that your palms are toward your face and your little fingers are touching each other. Rest 60 seconds between each set.

Day 4

Do the maximum number of training sets that you can accomplish. Rest 60 seconds between each set. You do training sets until you fail to do perfect training set. This day can wind up being the longest training day as you continue with the program because you will find it easy to do lots of training sets.

Day 5

Repeat the day that you found to be the hardest in the previous four days. This will change from week to week.

Training Sets

Training Sets are easy to define, but require some experimentation to determine for the individual participating in the program. A training set a specified number of repetitions. That means one individual may have 3 repetitions in his training set, but another individual may have more or less. The key to determine the proper number of repetitions in a training set comes on Day 3. You must perform nine training sets that day. If you only do twelve repetitions in your best single set (a PFT set or a maximum effort set), then your training set would probably have one or at most two repetitions. If you were concerned with gross numbers performed, you might try for the higher numbered training set. This is not advised. It is much more important for you to successfully complete the scheduled workout on Day 3, doing one repetition per training set, than it is for you to complete only 6 or 7 sets, trying two or three repetitions in each training set. Day 3 calls for you to do nine training sets. Adjust your training sets so that you can complete this routine properly.

The best gauge for the number of repetitions in the training set comes on Day 4. If you successfully complete Day 3, try to raise the number of repetitions in your training set by one when you do Day 4. If you get a least nine sets done on Day 4, that tells you that your training set ought to be one repetition higher. If you get less than nine sets, you will still have accomplished a good day’s work, and confirmed that your training set was correct for this week.

It is important that you do not change the repetitions in a training set in midstream. When you schedule yourself to the day’s routine using three repetitions in your training set, do not change it to two when the exercises get hard.

Modifications

Ladies will find that this program adapts well to the flexed arm hang. Training sets are simply translated into hang times.

Chin-ups may be substituted for those who prefer this technique, however, day 3 must still be completed exactly as described with 6 sets done with the overhand grip.

It is highly recommended that you follow this program using overhand grip as most of the obstacles that you will have to get over at OCS require an overhand grip.

Maintenance and Final Thoughts

Once you have achieved your goal, you will remain at that plateau by doing at least 50 repetitions each day. Though this may sound like a large number of repetitions at this point in time, it is not, as you will happily discover during your time on the program.

The program will work for anyone who will make a sincere attempt. You cannot expect any physical training program to work for you if you do not practice it regularly. In the first few weeks you may find that you are able to do fewer repetitions. This is a normal physiological reaction called teardown. As you continue, you will improve.

If your performance is at the 12-15 repetition level when you begin this program, then it will take about 4 weeks to complete. If you are lower than that it will take longer. Have heart because if you continue with the program, you will reach the 20 repetition level.
Marine Corps Crunch Workout
This workout is based on the same simplistic approach to fitness training as Major Armstrong’s pull-up program. This program should be done Monday through Friday directly after the pull-up portion of Major Armstrong’s workout.
Day 1
Do three maximum effort sets. Rest 60-90 seconds between each set. As soon as you stop (even for one second), that set is complete.
Day 2
Pyramid day. Begin with 20 repetitions. Each consecutive set should increase by ten until you can not complete the required amount without pausing. Then do a maximum effort set. Rest 1 second per crunch of the previous set.
Day 3
Do five 20-second sets. If you have to pause between repetitions, that is ok for this days workout. However, do as many as you can in each 20-second set as if you were taking the PFT. Rest 25 seconds between each set.
Day 4
Do 50 repetitions as fast as possible (without stopping if you can). Rest for 60 seconds. Do 30 repetitions as fast as possible. Rest for 45 seconds. Do 20 repetitions as fast as possible. Rest for 30 seconds. Do a maximum effort set.
Day 5
Do as many crunches as possible in 2 minutes just like the PFT. Rest for 90 seconds and do a maximum effort set.

Training Sets and Final thoughts
A maximum effort set is the most crunches you can do without pausing. Once you stop, that set is complete. Sets on days 1 and 2 should be done in this manner, as well as, day 4 if you can. Days 3 and 5 focus on the maximum number you can do in a given time period instead of the maximum number you can do without stopping.
If you will do this program consistently with the pull-up workout you will see fast and effective improvement in your PFT score. The key is consistency. The workout does not take much time, so stick to it.
Beginner Program This program is for those who start within the weight standards, but a bit out of shape. You can see good improvement in just 6 weeks if you stick to the program consistently. This workout is not for overall fitness, but to help prepare you for the PFT in a short period of time. This workout is the bare minimum. The runs should be done at a medium, comfortable pace. Try and pick up the pace a bit for one run per week. If this workout seems too easy, you should start by doing the intermediate program. A person who completes this workout can hope to score between a 225 to 240. A person can hope to do 10-15 pull-ups, 90-100 crunches and the 3 mile run in 23:00-24:00.
Armstrong Program, Monday-Friday
Captain's Crunch workout, Monday-Friday
Run Portion
Monday Wednesday Friday Saturday
Week 1 1 mile 2 miles 1 mile rest
Week 2 2 miles 3 miles 2 miles rest
Week 3 3 miles 3 miles 3 miles rest
Week 4 3 miles 3 miles 3 miles 3 miles
Week 5 3 miles 4 miles 3 miles 4 miles
Week 6 4 miles 2 miles PFT rest

Intermediate Program This program is for someone who is well within weight standards, is relatively athletic and who exercises a couple times a week or has run regularly before but has not necessarily run recently. The runs should be done at a comfortable pace. Pick up the pace slightly one day per week. The running page has guidance as to the speed of your runs and on the hill training. Depending on where you start, you overall PFT score should improve 10-35 points over the course of this workout. A person completing this workout can hope to improve 2-8 pull-ups, be able to do 100 crunches in two minutes, and complete the three mile run in 21:30 to 23:00. This person should be able to score between 235 and 270 points.

Armstrong Program
Captain's Crunch Workout
Monday Wednesday Friday Saturday
Week 1 2-3 Miles 15 minutes hill training 2-3 Miles 3-4 Miles
Week 2 3 miles 15 minutes hill training 3 miles 4 miles
Week 3 3-4 miles 20 minutes hill training 3-4 miles 5 miles
Week 4 4 miles 25 minutes hill training 4 miles 6 miles
Week 5 4-5 miles 30 minutes hill training 4-5 miles 6 miles
Week 6 5 miles 2-3 miles PFT 2-3 miles

1. So my question is how and when do i do the stuff? Armstrongs routine says to do the 3 sets of pushups when you first wake up. Then do i do my crunches and then proceed to do the running portion of the routine? Cause after a hard ab workout i can't see running long distances being a comfortable task at all. I know you do the pull ups 4 horus later but when do you do the armstrong pushup/pull up routine, captain crunch ab workout, and the running training?

2. Also i am a ex weightlifter and want to get back into that and was hoping i could incorporate some basic lifts into the mix somehow. I don't want to lose all my mass just to raise my running endurance and pull ups. What are your guys thoughts? Would adding some basic chest bench presses, bicep curls, barbell rows and or maybe some shoulder presses be to much? If not how would you incorporate them into the scheme of thigns. It seems liek itd be hard to do bicep curls and other bakc work and then the next day have to do pullups again, i dun know though you guys are the experts.

3. p.s armstrongs routine doesn't tell you the grip your supposed to use when doing it! Do you use palms out or facing you? Cause thats a big difference. If i use a palms out i wouldn't have to do much back work as that really hits the back.

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
Future Prodigy said:
1. So my question is how and when do i do the stuff? Armstrongs routine says to do the 3 sets of pushups when you first wake up. Then do i do my crunches and then proceed to do the running portion of the routine? Cause after a hard ab workout i can't see running long distances being a comfortable task at all. I know you do the pull ups 4 horus later but when do you do the armstrong pushup/pull up routine, captain crunch ab workout, and the running training?

First, I didn't do the pushups when I was doing the armstrong program, because I do chest at the gym twice a week. It may not be 'comfortable' to run long distances after an ab workout, but who said anything about comfort? Some trainer might be able to give you a better answer, but I'm going to give the obvious one, do what works for you. Try pullups, then crunches, then running. If you think that if you ran first you'd be better off, then change it.

Future Prodigy said:
2. Also i am a ex weightlifter and want to get back into that and was hoping i could incorporate some basic lifts into the mix somehow. I don't want to lose all my mass just to raise my running endurance and pull ups. What are your guys thoughts? Would adding some basic chest bench presses, bicep curls, barbell rows and or maybe some shoulder presses be to much? If not how would you incorporate them into the scheme of thigns. It seems liek itd be hard to do bicep curls and other bakc work and then the next day have to do pullups again, i dun know though you guys are the experts.

I don't think doing weight training while doing pullups, abs, and running is a bad idea at all. Obviously, just make sure your body can handle it all. It would be hard and kinda stupid to do back work one day and pullups the next. If you're an exlifter you should know. Just use your judgement.

Future Prodigy said:
3. p.s armstrongs routine doesn't tell you the grip your supposed to use when doing it! Do you use palms out or facing you? Cause thats a big difference. If i use a palms out i wouldn't have to do much back work as that really hits the back.

It doesn't tell you the grip because the choice is yours. But everyone I know does palms facing away. More often, your back lasts longer than your biceps.

Good luck! :icon_smil

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
KBayDog said:
Most of it was copy/paste.

Definitely copy/paste. I think shorter posts get better responses, and this thread is proving me right. :sleep_125

FearedFactor

Ok first of all you didn't have to copy/paste all that. With the exception of a few newbies, everyone here knows what Armstrong and Captains Crunch Workouts are.

If I try to do push-ups right when I wake up, they'll suck. I'd be lucky to get 20. I wait until around 10:00am whe work is starting to drag a little and crank out a few sets, usually getting low 30s. So find what time works for you. I doesn't say it has to be earlier in the day before pull ups, you could do them after.

I run at 5:30pm when I get home from work, it gives me something to do. If I don't run I'll hit the couch, take a nap and just be lazy for the rest of the day. After that I eat and head to the gym. I do pull ups first thing, then do a little weight training and work my ab workout in as I go.

Do some experimenting and figure out what works for you. Everybodies schedule is different and everybodies body is on a different schedule.

As far as weightlifting, in prep for OCS I have started doing more multiple muscle exercises, in an effort to promote total body strength, not just a big chest and big arms. Definetly work in some back exercises, a strong back will be more more resilient to injury. Just remeber at OCS they won't care if you bench press 250lbs, but they will chew your ass for being slow on the run, this isn't about your priorities it's about thiers.

The Marine Corps lets you use any grip you want for the PFT, some OSO's tell you to use the overhand grip, unless you have arms that look like a python that just swallowed a pig, you'll be able to do more overhand than underhand.

Armstrong works just stick with it, it took me a few months to get over 15 pullups now I'm on a quest for 25. Captains crunch works just stay motivated, I was able to get to the 100 crunches in a matter of weeks. Running, well I'm stll working on that one. Buy good shoes and stay motivated.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Being a guy with a real job and a wife and kid who wants him back after work, I've been trying to figure out how to get the Armstrong routine in when my PT time is an approximately 1 hr block around chow time. That’s while still maintaining a regular weight workout sked. I think I’ve probably figured it out.

I hit my pushups in the morning. 1st set right after waking up, 2nd after the shower, 3rd after breakfast or after the can, depending on my gastronomical state. I hit the gym at chow and do the pull-ups. Right after those, I do my weight work on MWF (M-chest/tri, W-Legs, F-back/bi). TR, I do cardio, either running or elliptical, depending on the Wx. I get a hash run in on the weekend, usually on Sunday.

Just some ideas that some of you fleet guys or guys with jobs might like. I know not everyone is a college student getting ready for OCS. Unfortunately, the wing is not built around PT. You have to sneak it in around work and the flight schedule. I try to keep my workouts short but intense, for example keeping weights heavy with 5 sets in only 3-5 major exercises, not getting wrapped around “sculpting” movements.

Status
Not open for further replies.