• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GMAT vs. GRE

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Non-concur. Chuck Palahniuk has said a couple times that Fight Club took place in Wilmington, DE, where many credit card companies are headquartered. The business card for Tyler Durden's soap company carries a Delaware zip code 19808.

Reference: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-X8RYLZk4F...avQ/ca1hfAs6_zE/s1600/FightClub_099Pyxurz.jpg
I didn't mean to imply that the story takes place in Oregon, only that the creative talent that brought the book and film to life is of proper Oregonian stock. :)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I didn't mean to imply that the story takes place in Oregon, only that the creative talent that brought the book and film to life is of proper Oregonian stock. :)
Yeah, well there is always Kindergarten Cop...made Astoria seems less...smelly? But only by a bit.

Still, it gave us that marvelous line..."It is not a tumor!"

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
61072894.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great, now everyone is gonna go to Brett's squadron and be forced to truffle shuffle.
An attempt to recreate any portion of Goonies within the squadron spaces is prohibited by SOP (and common decency).

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I'm not exactly sure how the GRE thread got here, but...here it is none-the-less:

Well, it started like this...Rufio got confused about the difference between the GMAT (something you put at your front door upon which one might wipe doggie poop) and the GRE, a difficult test for serious academics and advanced scholars. As fate would have it, he proved he is ready for Biz Skool and has the Oregon dance chops to prove it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
An attempt to recreate any portion of Goonies within the squadron spaces is prohibited by SOP (and common decency).

Sounds like JOPA needs to do just that to spite their front office.

SWOMan

@RUFiO181 the answer to this question isn't a simple one. the first and foremost thing you need to ask yourself is what exactly do you want to do? If you are wanting to go into Top Tier consulting, you are going to need to take gmat because they require your scores in the application process. If you aren't looking to get into high finance/ consulting either test will work.... gre being easier. GRE is great if you have the ability to master vocab, where gmat is better suited if you understand sentence rules and structures. Any schools you are targeting in particular?

IRfly

None
Dude, the kids here are nuking this.

Going to business school? Take the GMAT. That's all.

As for studying, I downloaded the practice tests from the prep site. It gives you two chances to take the test. So I did one, noted where I was deficient, and concentrated on that in my prep. It's high school math and English. I spent a few days in the library before the test, refreshing my high school math. It's stuff that I guarantee you know, but might not have seen in a while. So go over it. The language portion....well, you either know it or you don't. Hopefully you have a good grasp on grammar, because this is your opportunity to make up some ground on your top-line score on the Chinese and Indian kids you're going up against. After my few days of prep, I took the second practice test and my score had markedly improved. Of note: the score on my second practice test was only ten points off my final score.

Final thoughts: The GMAT reacts to your inputs--when you answer a question correctly, you get a harder question for the next one and vice versa. That doesn't really matter, but it's fun to know. Also, GMAT is only one component of your application, but it's the one "apples-to-apples" component that exists. You're competing for a spot not with the McKinsey kids, but with the other military guys who are in the applicant pool.

Credibility: Took the GMAT in Jan 2012 (so my info may be, admittedly, a bit dated), scored 750 overall--76th percentile in math, 99th percentile in language (that's what I meant about making up ground). All b-school applications to top-10 schools, all accepted. Stayed in the Navy. FML

SWOMan

Going to business school? Take the GMAT.
Except most business schools don't weight gre less than gmat....if anything there is higher acceptances for lower gre scores. Gre won't hurt him in anyway. Ps. Mirin that 750

IRfly

None
Except most business schools don't weight gre less than gmat....if anything there is higher acceptances for lower gre scores. Gre won't hurt him in anyway. Ps. Mirin that 750

Okaaaaayy.....:rolleyes:

And what is "mirin"? Is that a pokemon I need to hunt down?

snake020

Contributor
Back to OP...

Economist's prep is pretty good... I used it and it helped – https://gmat.economist.com
Veritas has a few training programs that are reputable. I only used their iPad apps secondhand. If I hadn't had multiple TADs to exercises getting in the way, I would have signed up for one of their courses.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thanks for the advice everyone. For the record, I am not getting out... yet. Just looking at various schools that correspond/are convenient with my next duty station.