• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GMAT vs. GRE

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
AirWarriors,

LT Rufio has been making preparations to apply this fall to start business school in 2017. With more business schools accepting both the GRE and GMAT, I've been wondering which exam is the least stressful to study.

With that being said, would you recommend taking the GRE over the GMAT or vice versa? Additionally, which study material(s) did you use to prepare for the respective exam? I keep hearing the Manhattan GMAT/GRE prep books (around $90 on amazon) but want to double check before committing the money for it.

Thanks for the help!

PS- I already searched the forums, asked my recruiter/dept head, and yes I'll probably end up in Brett's squadron.

Last edited:

CellShock

I have taken the GRE but not the GMAT. Some things to consider:
- both tests are hard and it's really a matter of what your strengths are. GMAT is known to be a bit more math intensive. No matter which test you take, you'll be in a room with other people. If you take the GRE for instance, you might be in a room with 30% pursuing life sciences, 30% social sciences, and 40% engineering. With the GMAT, you're in a room with all others interested in pursing graduate management. Which room suits you better?
- with the GRE you have the ability to change your answers, but this is not so with the GMAT.
- Taking the GMAT indicates your resolution to pursue business. GRE is flexible and taken by students interested in everything other than business. Would it be a red flag to the ad coms if you submitted with a GRE score? Probably not, but maybe.
- Some schools use the GMAT to rank students against each other

You could consider taking each test on a different day. Take it cold without study and see which one you perform better on, then commit yourself to that. When I studied for the GRE I used the Manhattan prep book, but mainly as a source of additional practice tests. The below link was the cornerstone of my study (they offer many test prep programs):

http://magoosh.com/

exNavyOffRec

AirWarriors,

LT Rufio has been making preparations to apply this fall to start business school in 2017. With more business schools accepting both the GRE and GMAT, I've been wondering which exam is the least stressful to study.

With that being said, would you recommend taking the GRE over the GMAT or vice versa? Additionally, which study material(s) did you use to prepare for the respective exam? I keep hearing the Manhattan GMAT/GRE prep books (around $90 on amazon) but want to double check before committing the money for it.

Thanks for the help!

PS- I already searched the forums, asked my recruiter/dept head, and yes I'll probably end up in Brett's squadron.

You could do what I did, take classes as a non-matriculated student that gives you more time to study. In my case the school kind of forgot to check to see if I had taken it as I was supposed to be limited to just 30 credits of classes, well 2 classes from graduation they said "uh you kind of need to do this now".

Did you really ask your recruiter? Is he retired now? :D

PEPfromage

Nursing the gout.
pilot
GMAT. Manhattan is effective. I would recommend you pony up for an actual class or two as well though. Top schools like taking vets & active duty, but only if you do your part and make it easy on them to say yes with a score around 700.

It isn't about being smart on that test. It is about being fast. You get fast from being born a genius, or a lot of prep and learned tricks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For you supposedly being from Oregon I am disappointed you have not memorized one of the two great movies to come out of your state.
I hate that film. It's an embarrassment to Astoria and all Oregonians.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hate that film. It's an embarrassment to Astoria and all Oregonians.

I am a little disappointed though not surprised. What do you think about the other great Oregonian cinematic pièce de résistance, depicting college life?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am a little disappointed though not surprised. What do you think about the other great Oregonian cinematic pièce de résistance, depicting college life?
I think that was one of John Landis' first movies - a true classic. Stand by me is also a great Oregon film. Though it was not shot in Oregon, Fight Club was written by Portlander Chuck Palahniuk and directed by David Fincher, who grew up in my home town of Ashland. I claim it as an Oregonian work.

Rufio, you've unwittingly engineered your own threadjack. :D

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Fight Club was written by Portlander Chuck Palahniuk and directed by David Fincher, who grew up in my home town of Ashland. I claim it as an Oregonian work
Non-concur. Chuck Palahniuk has said a couple times that Fight Club took place in Wilmington, DE, where many credit card companies are headquartered. The business card for Tyler Durden's soap company carries a Delaware zip code 19808.

Reference: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-X8RYLZk4F...avQ/ca1hfAs6_zE/s1600/FightClub_099Pyxurz.jpg