• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Glock 36 vs. P220 Compact

Gitr

Anyone out there have either of these two weapons? They are the small .45 ACP models for carry by the two companies. I am looking to get a new CCW, but am torn. Held both, both feel fine.

There is a bit of a price break, and I know SIG's are awesome, but do I pay the extra money?

If anyone has either, any opinions?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Is weight going to be an issue to you? I would think that the Glock would be considerably lighter for the CCW role.

Consider heading over to www.glocktalk.com It's a forum and there are plenty of G36 owners their that have shared their experiences. I'm sure this very topic has been covered there at some point.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Have you fired the G36 yet? Im a fan of certain types of glocks but not that one. I dont like the Glock subcompact frame the way it fits in my hand and feels when you fire it. But then again my buddy (who ows the 36) loves it. The thing about glocks is that you really have to try them out to see if you'll love it or hate it. I loved my G23 so I assumed they were all the same.

What were you carrying before?

Iron Eagle

NFO Final Select
I own a Glock 23 and I love it. Its a great dual purpose weapon for both concealed and duty. For a concealed it's hard to beat 13+1 of .40 S&W stopping power. With the $8 houge grip it feels like the weapon was custom made for my hand.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
FWIW, I have a full size P220 that I carry on a rotating basis with my other pistols. It is my absolute first choice out of all my guns for defense, and it stays in my nightstand when I go to bed. It's not exactly light, however. I'm not really a fan of sub-compact guns, despite having small carnie hands. I personally dislike sub-compacts with double stacked magazines even more. I will admit, though, that an acquaintance and I swapped guns (he wanted to shoot my S&W 325) at the range, and I fired a couple magazines worth of rounds through his Glock. My previous experience with the company's pistols was...less than outstanding, but his pistol, which had just been worked over by a local gunsmith, shot pretty well.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
FWIW, I have a full size P220 that I carry on a rotating basis with my other pistols. It is my absolute first choice out of all my guns for defense, and it stays in my nightstand when I go to bed. It's not exactly light, however. I'm not really a fan of sub-compact guns, despite having small carnie hands. I personally dislike sub-compacts with double stacked magazines even more. I will admit, though, that an acquaintance and I swapped guns (he wanted to shoot my S&W 325) at the range, and I fired a couple magazines worth of rounds through his Glock. My previous experience with the company's pistols was...less than outstanding, but his pistol, which had just been worked over by a local gunsmith, shot pretty well.

This is something that makes the G36 unique compared to the other Glocks, it's the thinnest of all. It uses a single stack and still crams 6 rounds into a tight package.

36.gif

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Ah-so. I've been averse to Glocks for so long that I have no idea of models, etc. I might have to snag one eventually.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I have a full size P220 and absolutely love it. No qualms about buying another. I recommend it to anyone who's in the market.

That said, I've had my eyes on a G36 for a while now. Small, light, simple, reliable.

And plenty of bones left over for ammo.:D (Not that price should be a deciding factor)

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
if you are looking for a CCW look into the Walther PPS, or P99QA compact, I've fired a PPS a buddy of mine has, it feels and fires awesome! I am getting one myself this Christmas

utak

if you are looking for a CCW look into the Walther PPS, or P99QA compact, I've fired a PPS a buddy of mine has, it feels and fires awesome! I am getting one myself this Christmas

He's looking into .45 ACP, which the PPS isn't chambered in.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
Owned a G36 for about a year. In that time maybe put 100 rounds through it. I absolutely HATED shooting that gun, but carried it every day. Bad, I know (carrying a weapon you don't properly know). It had a fairly nasty recoil that I just couldn't get used to. I don't have small hands, and think I've got a proper idea of how to shoot a pistol, and when firing it side-by-side other 45s, it was always a bastard. I finally sold it and went about a year without a carry pistol. Ended up with a Springfield XD45, 4" that feels good, shoots well, and even though I'm only 5'10" and 170, I can conceal it good enough.

Personally I wouldn't own a G36 again, but you might like it. Given the "price is not an option" variable, I'd own a Kimber Tactical Pro II. Have a buddy with one and it's an awesome pistol.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I own the 36 and like a few others have said I can't say its the best shooter. But then I haven't ever fired it side by side other .45 subcompacts. My only other handgun shooting experience has been with fullsize handguns.

If you are buying for concealment though I think you will enjoy it. I wasn't completely satisfied with the concealment holster I had but loved how small the weapon was and also how light it was. I really need to get a different holster for mine. The one I had always jabbed me in the back.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I own the 36 and like a few others have said I can't say its the best shooter. But then I haven't ever fired it side by side other .45 subcompacts.

You're not going to find a subcompact .45 that shoots "well" if you compare it to a full size pistol. It's just the kind of tradeoff that you have to make if you want big caliber power in a small frame. These subcompact jobs aren't designed to be great shooters---they're designed to be easily concealable, light, and effective in close quarter defense. They're the modern snub nose revolver---a belly gun. OK, more range than a belly gun, but you get my point.

I know a guy who went out and bought a Glock 29 (subcompact 10mm) and then complained about how snappy and uncontrollable it was. He was pissed that it wasn't a "good shooter". What did he expect??