• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GI Bill for fun flying

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
I already have my ATP. There are a bunch of local flight school in the surrounding area, but nearly all of them us the GI Bill through a local community college. That CC requires classroom courses, which I can't do. Mostly I'm looking to be able to fly on the weekends using what is left of my Post 9/11 GI Bill but that isn't looking likely here. There is one school set up directly with the VA, but they never return calls and their VA rep is never there when I go in.

I know some guys are doing things like 737 type ratings at Higher Power. Is there anyone doing things like tailwheel, float plane, etc with the GI Bill?

MasterBates

I have inquired about Tailwheel and Float with my GI bill, and it was kosher with the school I called, I just wasn't able to get leave approved (this was when I was still in)

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Been looking at this as well. How much does the GI Bill foot towards the program? I'm looking at a about a $2,000 program at a part 141 school, is it 60/40 between what the GIB pays and out of pocket for myself?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The 60/40 payout if for the Montgomery GI Bill. I am pretty certain the post 9/11 GI bill will pay 100% at a part 141 school. I'm told it's fairly easy to convert to the post 9/11, but I don't know how yet. I'm looking to do this pretty soon to finish up my ATP. I took the written a year ago, but now need to go somewhere and do the flying...

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
The Post 9/11 GI Bill will pay up to $15,000 per year directly towards flight training program. They will not pay for the private though. The way around it is to go through a college program and then you can get private also. Most colleges require you to be working towards a license and since I have an ATP I don't really need the private, commercial or ATP. Also, most colleges require you to take class as well, which I don't have time for. Unfortunately every flight school around where I am is associated with the GI Bill via the local community college.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
The 60/40 payout if for the Montgomery GI Bill. I am pretty certain the post 9/11 GI bill will pay 100% at a part 141 school.

Titties, the local FBO is a 141 program so that works for me. I'll do some investigating and post back if I find good gouge about the GIB vs. 9/11 GIB.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Thanks JD81. From my recent research it seems as though I can only get the Post 9/11 GI Bill to pay for flying at a part 141 school that is set up direct with the VA and not though a college or university. And that 141 school would have to offer training in qualifications I don't already have - seaplane, tailwheel, type ratings, helicopter, and MEI.

MasterBates

In the vein of getting add-on ratings..

I was going through my logbook to get ATP paperwork together, and I'm reading the FARs on experience.

TheFedz said:
FAR 61.159 [Aeronautical Experience: Airplane Category Rating] [Excerpt]
blank.gif

If you are applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category and class rating, you must have at least 1500 hours of total time as a pilot that includes at least:
  1. 500 hours of cross-country flight time.
  2. 100 hours of night flight time. (If you have performed at least 20 night takeoffs and landings to a full stop, you may substitute each additional night takeoff and landing to a full stop for 1 hour of night flight time. However, not more than 25 hours of night flight time may be credited in this manner!)
  3. 75 hours of instrument flight time in actual or simulated instrument conditions. (A maximum of 25 hours, or if the training was accomplished in accordance with Part 142, a maximum of 50 hours of simulated instrument time in an approved flight simulator or approved flight training device that represents an airplane may be credited.)
  4. 250 hours of flight time in an airplane as a pilot in command, which includes at least 100 hours cross-country flight time and 25 hours of night flight time.
  5. Not more than 100 hours of the total aeronautical experience requirements for this rating may be obtained in accordance with FAA Part 142 in an approved flight simulator or approved flight training device that represents an airplane.
blank.gif

FAR 61.161 [Aeronautical Experience: Rotorcraft Category and Helicopter Class Rating] [Excerpt]

blank.gif

If you are applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with a rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating, you must have at least 1200 hours of total time as a pilot that includes at least:
  1. 500 hours of cross-country flight time.
  2. 100 hours of night flight time, of which 15 hours are in helicopters.
  3. 200 hours of flight time in helicopters, which includes at least 75 hours as a pilot in command.
  4. 75 hours of instrument flight time in actual or simulated instrument conditions, of which at least 50 hours are obtained in flight with at least 25 hours in helicopters as pilot in command. (A maximum of 25 hours, or if the training was accomplished in accordance with FAA Part 142, a maximum of 50 hours of simulated instrument time in an approved flight simulator or approved flight training device that represents a helicopter may be credited.)
Is this "Sole Manip" or "Aircraft Commander" time? Because if it is AC time, I'm short for FW. I find it odd that the RW hours are so low for total helo time and PIC.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Thanks JD81. From my recent research it seems as though I can only get the Post 9/11 GI Bill to pay for flying at a part 141 school that is set up direct with the VA and not though a college or university. And that 141 school would have to offer training in qualifications I don't already have - seaplane, tailwheel, type ratings, helicopter, and MEI.

I'm in solely for tailwheel and maybe a CFI. One thing I've noticed is that the GI Bill website is not totally accurate as far as VA approved schools go as well, I'd say its a 50/50 shot at whether or not its accurate.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
MB,

I 99% sure it everything FAA is part 61 sole manipulator. But there are those pesky FAA Inspectors that like to do things there way and not by the book. I'd call someplace like ATP Inc. that is a certificate mill and ask them.