• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gettysburg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The wife and I spent a weekend up there earlier this year, April is a great time to go. A tour guide was recommended to us and he led us around the battlefield for 3 hours, describing each day and each major part of the battle. It was just my wife and myself and he was the best guide I ever had, period. And he was only a little bit more expensive than a regular tour, definitely worth it though. If anyone else is interested, I still have his card.

fusu

back in 06 my dad and I went up there and did the loop on bikes. I thought it was a great way and pace at which to see the battlefield.

please limit hippie responses.

phrogpilot73

What really blows my mind is that current generation Americans don't appreciate what happened. Not just in Gettysburg but in the country. When you really start digging, you realize that the same issues that led to the Civil War are still valid now. If you read some of the speeches, papers, and what not leading up to it - some of them reference slavery, some reference states rights, but all of them still reference Republicans vs. Democrats. What's amazing to me is how relevant this time period is to today and forever. We have better conflict resolution skills now, but what about the future? Like I've said before, I think it's the MOST fascinating period of our history...

Clux4

Banned
I do not know if TBS still sends students down there for their Field trip.
Was a great way to finish TBS considering the events/training that had transpired.
Offcourse the party afterwards was also great.

Phrog:
I agree with you. History seems to be loosing its place. What is highschool history teaching these days?

Redux

What really blows my mind is that current generation Americans don't appreciate what happened. Not just in Gettysburg but in the country.

Unfortunately kids in school today are NOT taught US History or geography to any degree anyway. My HS senior son is a math/calculus/trig guru but I doubt he can find either France or Alabama on a map or define any causes or dates of WW2. Sadly, that's no shit. :(

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I do not know if TBS still sends students down there for their Field trip.
Was a great way to finish TBS considering the events/training that had transpired.
Offcourse the party afterwards was also great.
I agree - the day at Gettysburg and then the crazy night over at Cpl. Seamus's house was my best memory of TBS.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did the Boat School trip to Gettysburg with Prof Symonds' class back in the day. Still the best way to see the place - with a guide who really knows his shit.

But I gotta agree that Antietam is a better trip for the "experience". Gettysburg has so damn many monuments, attractions, etc, that it's kind of tough to put yourself in the moment (so much so, they had to film the movie about 10 miles down the road). Antietam/Sharpsburg is very well-preserved, both in town and in the field, and doesn't have that Disney's Civil War feel about it.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Went in 7th grade and haven't been back...

But I would love to go back for a few days. I agree with phrogpilot73; the Civil War is fascinating and definitely the crossroads of our nation. I grew up in the Commonwealth of Virginia where battlefields are a dime a dozen and I always felt I understood the "War of Northern Aggression" better than more recent wars, because you see traces of it everywhere. Beside the ubiquitous Confederate battle flag carried by numerous rednecks, every Virginian knows something about Robert E. Lee (yes, I have a cousin who is named Robert Lee XXXX...and there are plenty running around the South).

I highly recommend Michael Shaara's Pulitzer Prize-winning "The Killer Angels" to anyone, but especially to anyone visiting Gettysburg. It is one of those books that I pick up when I go to a used book store, just so I have an extra copy or two on hand to give to friends. I should probably pull it out and read it again, and maybe pick up his son's books, as well.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
But I would love to go back for a few days. I agree with phrogpilot73; the Civil War is fascinating and definitely the crossroads of our nation. I grew up in the Commonwealth of Virginia where battlefields are a dime a dozen and I always felt I understood the "War of Northern Aggression" better than more recent wars, because you see traces of it everywhere. Beside the ubiquitous Confederate battle flag carried by numerous rednecks, every Virginian knows something about Robert E. Lee (yes, I have a cousin who is named Robert Lee XXXX...and there are plenty running around the South).

I highly recommend Michael Shaara's Pulitzer Prize-winning "The Killer Angels" to anyone, but especially to anyone visiting Gettysburg. It is one of those books that I pick up when I go to a used book store, just so I have an extra copy or two on hand to give to friends. I should probably pull it out and read it again, and maybe pick up his son's books, as well.

His son Jeff is no slouch either....
He wrote "The Last Full Measure" which is basically the epilogue of KA's...starting with Spotsylvania and ending at Appomatox...
He also has done an excellant primer on the various battlefields and what you should see when you visit.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Unfortunately kids in school today are NOT taught US History or geography to any degree anyway. My HS senior son is a math/calculus/trig guru but I doubt he can find either France or Alabama on a map or define any causes or dates of WW2. Sadly, that's no shit. :(
This must vary highly state to state. NY reinforces history and English moreso than science and math; it requires four years of the former two to graduate HS, but only two years of the latter two.

I took a trip to Gettysburg in 8th grade, led by an extremely passionate (and very good) history teacher. Unfortunately, at 13 years old I was too young to fully appreciate it at the time.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
His son Jeff is no slouch either....
He wrote "The Last Full Measure" which is basically the epilogue of KA's...starting with Spotsylvania and ending at Appomatox...
He also has done an excellant primer on the various battlefields and what you should see when you visit.

+1 His son's also moved on to other conflicts, and is currently covering the European theatre in World War II. I highly recommend any of his novels.

In my junior year of HS, our history class was scheduled to take a trip to Gettysburg. I was one of three who cleared their schedule to go. No one else had an interest in it.

exhelodrvr

pilot
I did the Boat School trip to Gettysburg with Prof Symonds' class back in the day. Still the best way to see the place - with a guide who really knows his shit.

USNA History club trip; took my kids there when we were back for a reunion a few years ago.

Shaara's books are excellent.