• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting the run down in time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
My current run time sucks ass. Its like 27 minutes (maybe 25:30-26:00 if I really push myself). Whats the most I can expect to take off in the next 3-4 weeks in time for applying for OCC 190? I can max pull-ups and my crunches should also be maxed or near maxed. Its the damn running. Blah...........

P.S. I have been doing Hal Higdon's Intermediate 5K program. I am on week 6 of the program (3rd week doing the program: It counts backwards from week 8).

Clux4

Banned
Long runs to build your base, short ones for speed. But since you are on a program which I think is geared towards achieving that, I suggest that you stick to it. Reducing your run time takes time. It is a gradual process.
Consult the many online webpages such as Runner's world for tips

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Yeah, I am going to stick to this system and hope for the best. I was just wondering what is realistic in terms of goals. I have never really been much of a runner so I don't know if it is plausible to be under 24 min. in time for the August Board. It seems realistic to me but I figured I would check around to get opinions.

Clux4

Banned
To be realistic I am not sure you will drop your time any more than 2 mins. in the next 4 weeks. Everything really depends on the body too. I mean you might drop as much as 3 mins.
Just be patient.

T-man

Well, I can speak from personal experience that it is possible to see fast results. But you run the risk of injury. Back in January, I was so out of shape I couldn't even hope to run 1 mile, let alone doe the 3 mile PFT. 3 months later I ran the PFT in 23.43. 2-3 weeks after that, I ran my 2nd PFT in 21.47. So, it can be done, just keep motivated, and when your PFT comes around, run your heart out.

As to the risk of injury... I am currently recovering from some pretty severe shin splints (it was almost a stress fracture), so all I can say to that effect is, be careful.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Well, guess I just gotta hope. From what I have heard packets have to be in by July 18th (can anybody verify this?). If that is the case that gives me closer to six weeks to get a good PFT down on the books. Fingers crossed.

T-man

E6286 said:
Well, guess I just gotta hope. From what I have heard packets have to be in by July 18th (can anybody verify this?). If that is the case that gives me closer to six weeks to get a good PFT down on the books. Fingers crossed.

That is the correct date according to everything I have read and heard.

pft

The date your package has to be in depends on whether or not you have waivers, etc? At least I was told mine needed to be done and in earlier due to that fact. July 01 is my package due date. As for the running you can drop a ton of time in only a few weeks. I don't know what program your following but my advice is run six days a week at least 2 miles a day and you'll see the body respond to the consistency relatively quickly. I used to go from a 21:30 3 mile to around a 15:30 in the course of an XC season.. about a 10 week period.

I would honestly ditch the intervals, you need to build your base mileage up. The intervals are for a far more advanced runner, and are probably where your going to hurt yourself or strain a muscle. Just a nice and easy few miles in its place would definately do you a lot better, you should also get a running partner if you can to pace/motivate you.

T-man

CP44 said:
My OSO told us we had till the 30th for the board on Aug 9th

Your OSO may have a few strings he can pull to get a package in that late - but the official date as told by everyone I've talked to, as well as everything I've read and researched say package submission is due 18 July. Honestly, if you want to improve your chances of selection, I wouldn't worry about the "due date" and get your package in asap, they tend to like that because it puts the ball in their court, and you don't piss anyone off by submitting at the last minute and making them do a bunch of rush work to get their sh*t done before the package actually gets reviewed (background checks, etc.).

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
add a sprint workout, and by sprint workout, i mean something that you would do on a track. what you're doing is how 'runners' do it, but you don't have the time. if you need one, pm me.

Status
Not open for further replies.