• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting Re-measured

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Probably not.. I actually hit my head on shit in the E-2, but I do like the ability to put the seat far enough back that I don't feel hunched over the yoke.

For me, after a tour flying the C-2...the aircraft is so freaking boring :sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125 The COD life was the only thing that made up for it. Then again, I did 3 straight tours flying that POS.....couldn't pay me enough to do it again. Hopefully you enjoy it more than I did.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When did they change how they measure? I was just curious because when I got my anthro sheet back after API graduation they had listed my measurements from both when I checked in and when I got measured as a mid in Jan 2007. Some of the measurements were significantly different. My height, for example, was barely over 5'3" when they measured me recently, but they had me almost half an inch higher when they did me as a mid. The differences didn't affect me as an NFO (though if I was a pilot I would have been too small for 60Bs and E2/C2 based on sitting height and knee to butt length), but they did strike me as odd.

MasterBates

You used to sit in a chair and they pushed things against your knee, arm, foot, etc.

Took into account how your butt deflected and such when you sat.

New method, they use a big ass caliper and measure from the furthest protrustion of your ass to kneecap (for BKL)

Some things like sitting height and TTL are the same.. I measure 1 inch bigger on BKL and leg length measured same day old vs new.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Finally, being of average height provides an advantage!

But seriously, I've heard its a good idea to go on a 10 or 12 mile hike with a heavy pack a few hours before you're measured if you're dead set on meeting the reqs.

MasterBates

BIG. Very BIG.

And not in Anthro Norms for the T-45A or C

If I wasn't winged and doing well in the program, I would not have gotten the waiver.

Of course, if a certain dumb fucking flight surgeon had actually driven the 1/2 mile from his office to the hangar to see me in a jet before calling NOMI, I probably would not have NEEDED the waiver.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I was in the same boat as MB, it's also not just how tall you are, it's how BIG you are. I know guys taller than me, I'm 6'3", that fit but it's more because they are beanpoles.

If they'd actually do fit checks still instead of just going off the numbers I'd have fit a lot more aircraft than I technically do.

It's interesting that helos don't really care about body measurements, or at least that's how it looked to me too. I had a special made shoehorn to get me into the cockpit of the -57. :D

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The ejection-seat communities are the ones that really care about anthros, for obvious reasons. Helos and E2/C2, they just figure you can duck, and if you have to squeeze yourself a bit to get in or out of the plane, that's your problem. Some of the biggest MF'ers I've met in the Navy were E-2 guys or helo bubbas because of anthro problems. The ironic part is that they don't really seem to care about those big MF'ers flying ejection-seat equipped training planes, as the one I know have all been students or IP's in T-6's and T-45's.

Incidentally, E-2's are one of the few planes SNFO's can be disqual'ed for being too short. There's an informal 5'4" cutoff, lest you be too short to pull the CIC ditching hatch. I say informal because it's not an actual NOMI anthro measure, and you can get a fit-check if you want. Mrs Fester (5'1") and a similarly tiny female classmate from VT-10 got flown up to Norfolk, put in the back of an E-2 and had to pull and replace the hatch a dozen or so times.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The ironic part is that they don't really seem to care about those big MF'ers flying ejection-seat equipped training planes, as the one I know have all been students or IP's in T-6's and T-45's.

Actually, they do. That's why I couldn't go tailhook was I couldn't fit in the T-45, but I would fit fine in E2/C2s and F-18s.

MasterBates

It is FUCKING STUPID that our trainers restrict a large number of SNA's from fleet AC they fit in, but it'll never change.