• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting my second chance at select SNA

Ryne

I got a call from my recruiter yesterday telling me that the boards denied my application to be a Naval Aviator. I'm a bit bummed, but ready to start studying again. I scored a 42 4/6/5 the first go round with about two and a half weeks of semi-intense studying. Looking at minimums and other people's scores I felt it was a good score. Well, it is as good score, just not competitive. My recruiter stated I needed to have 51+ 6+/6+/6+ to be competitive (after the fact I was denied). I'm prior service USMC (8 years) with a B.S. in Computer Science/Networking and Telecommunications. I know if it studied more intently on the OAR portion, that score will come up on its own, but what's the best way to study the AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR?

zboy

None
There are threads dedicated to the ASTB where people discuss the questions they saw. I found that to be extremely helpful, because a lot of the questions they saw appeared on my test, especially on the Aviation/Nautical portion.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
If you have the change to throw at it, invest in a throttle/joystick and flight simulator software. Mine has collected dust, and didn't get used in the months leading up to when I took the ASTB - but I messed with it a bunch in years past, and I'm 100% certain it made the AQR/PFAR/FOFAR easier for me.

Ryne

I've played flight sims regularly throughout my life with a throttle/joystick combo (the Saitek gx52, which is funny because that's what they had for my test) .. but who has honestly played a flight sim will rapid movements of both devices? Maybe I'm the only one who hasnt. I suppose I'll dust mine off and give it a shot.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I've played flight sims regularly throughout my life with a throttle/joystick combo (the Saitek gx52, which is funny because that's what they had for my test) .. but who has honestly played a flight sim will rapid movements of both devices? Maybe I'm the only one who hasnt. I suppose I'll dust mine off and give it a shot.

IMO, the rapidity of the movement is less important than the hand-eye coordination, as well as the mental and muscular exercise of being aware of the positions of each device.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I got a call from my recruiter yesterday telling me that the boards denied my application to be a Naval Aviator. I'm a bit bummed, but ready to start studying again. I scored a 42 4/6/5 the first go round with about two and a half weeks of semi-intense studying. Looking at minimums and other people's scores I felt it was a good score. Well, it is as good score, just not competitive. My recruiter stated I needed to have 51+ 6+/6+/6+ to be competitive (after the fact I was denied). I'm prior service USMC (8 years) with a B.S. in Computer Science/Networking and Telecommunications. I know if it studied more intently on the OAR portion, that score will come up on its own, but what's the best way to study the AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR?

To the OP there's tons of threads and study information on AWs related to the ASTB. Do some searching and move forward from there...