• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting into SELRES

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's what I got from the other thread. My question above was related to becoming a SELRES and then applying for FTS...more along the lines of, do you get your retirement at 20 a la FTS or do you have to wait until 59 once you've had the SELRES stink on you.

Ahh, gotcha. No, you get your money at 20 years if you're retiring as a FTS. Nobody cares if you were a SELRES at some point, just total years of service equalling 20.

phrogpilot73

My question above was related to becoming a SELRES and then applying for FTS...more along the lines of, do you get your retirement at 20 a la FTS or do you have to wait until 59 once you've had the SELRES stink on you.
You get the retirement at 60 if you retire as a SELRES. If you apply and get picked up for FTS (AR in the USMC case), then you will receive your retirement at 20. If you do, say 1 year as SELRES and amass 180 points, when they convert it back to AD/FTS type retirment, they'll adjust your PEBD to reflect that you weren't AD for that whole time. That's what happened to a couple of our AR guys when they went from SMCR to AR. Does that make sense?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I think they adjust your Active Service Entry Date (ASED) and not your Pay Entry Base Date (PEBD). Your PEBD should never change.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Bringing this one back from the dead:

I'm looking for the process to affiliate as either FTS or SELRES at the VTs down here. I'll have about 13 months left on my ticket before I can pull chocks, which leaves BUPERS plenty of time to do me a real solid. Is there a way to make a smooth transition from active to the reserves, either as an FTS bubba or SELRES affiliate, or would I be boned into another set of orders, or can I stall, drop my letter and ride these out/transfer early?

If you go the SELRES route, what's your 'career progression' like?

This is all way early, and I'm sure I'll have more time to pick reservists brains once I start actually remembering peoples names in the squadron, but NPC's Reservist/FTS/SELRES website is as useless as tits on a warthog. Every link to an instruction takes me to a dead web page...awesome!

FTS, the way timing is working with he boards right now you might be able apply near the end of the first shore tour. The windows for time to end of winging commitment has been widened so people can apply.

If you get picked up your transition date to 1317 will vary but it's been happening that the remaining time to MSR is waived by the AC detailer. That way the FTS detailer can put you where you need to go.

As for actually being able to apply, it depends on that eligibility matrix. Waivers are possible but not too common from why I've heard.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
FTS, the way timing is working with he boards right now you might be able apply near the end of the first shore tour. The windows for time to end of winging commitment has been widened so people can apply.

If you get picked up your transition date to 1317 will vary but it's been happening that the remaining time to MSR is waived by the AC detailer. That way the FTS detailer can put you where you need to go.

As for actually being able to apply, it depends on that eligibility matrix. Waivers are possible but not too common from why I've heard.

If I do get picked up by the board, where do I end up going? Straight to a VR, stay at the VTs, or something worked out between the detailer and I?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
If I do get picked up by the board, where do I end up going? Straight to a VR, stay at the VTs, or something worked out between the detailer and I?

Depends on what the board picks you for. They won't pick you something you don't put in as a choice.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
Ahh ok, I was looking through the other thread because I thought that was covered but not having much luck. Thanks again.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

When you apply, you put which community(ies) you're applying for in your letter. It's changed since I was selected, so now you just put community and not the actual "sub-community." Part of that is because a lot of the RESFORON squadrons went away and/or merged (this mostly affected us helo guys).

So on your letter, you'll put "VP," "TRACOM," "VR," etc, in order of preference. For TRACOM, that could be either VT(p) locations, but you won't know that until later. At least that's how it was. Here's the catch, though...

Operational units get first pick. I'm sure VFA picks first, then HELO or VP (not sure which), then TRACOM or VR (not sure which order). So if you put TRACOM or VR ONLY, it's possible your AC eligibility slot may have already been filled for your YG by someone who said they wanted VP. If you've already dropped your letter, this isn't as big a deal. But here's the other part of the equation...if you haven't been rushing the unit (or Wing in the case of the TRACOM) before you go to the board, you're wrong. While it is a board, I'm convinced that often times the "right" person is picked for a particular unit. For squadrons like the helo or VP units, you're probably going to have an idea on where you're going when selected. For VR or TRACOM, it will be worked out later, unless you get a By Name request from the unit to the detailer. BTW, as a FTS JO, your detailer is the same as mine. It's just one guy, so it's a small world.

One last thought...don't completely discard VP as an option. If VP is like the rest of the Reserve units, AC VP probably does not equal Reserve VP. That's certainly the case on the helo side. But if you don't ever want to sit inside a P-3 again, that's cool too. Just understand it can limit your options.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
Thanks, Make Vapes had a post that outlined that in the other thread that I found pretty much right after I posted the question here, but that covers it in detail.

So I rush the wing, and hopefully don't get told to go FTS-VT Corpus. Hmm....

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Thanks, Make Vapes had a post that outlined that in the other thread that I found pretty much right after I posted the question here, but that covers it in detail.

So I rush the wing, and hopefully don't get told to go FTS-VT Corpus. Hmm....

Uh, sort of, but not exactly. It'll all make a lot more sense once you've been back in an integrated unit (active + reserve) and around reservists for a while.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Uh, sort of, but not exactly. It'll all make a lot more sense once you've been back in an integrated unit (active + reserve) and around reservists for a while.

I figured you'd pop up and clarify the TRACOM side. There were a bunch of TRACOM selectees in my group, but I never really heard how it worked for them.