• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting In

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't apply for NROTC. I may have mentioned it during the interview, but it's not necessary to apply for it, too.
Well, we all know that you are so exceptional that it would not have mattered to the board.;)

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I have only been a BGO for two years now so I can't say for sure. But from talking to the other guys in my region, it has been SOP for a while. It is more likely your BGO simply failed to ask.

On the NROTC Board I was on, Applicants to NROTC got docked points (or didn't get extra points) if they applied to more than one program (to include the academy, AFROTC, AROTC, BDCP, etc). It was explained that due to the different programs, we should "reward" those with dedication to one particular program.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
On the NROTC Board I was on, Applicants to NROTC got docked points (or didn't get extra points) if they applied to more than one program (to include the academy, AFROTC, AROTC, BDCP, etc). It was explained that due to the different programs, we should "reward" those with dedication to one particular program.

It seems that applying to more than one commissioning source would show a stronger desire to become an officer rather than a lack of dedication.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
It seems that applying to more than one commissioning source would show a stronger desire to become an officer rather than a lack of dedication.

Correct, but the NROTC program is a very different program than the USNA. Dedication to the PROGRAM was the points that we addressed in the application. We'd rather take an individual that WANTED NROTC rather than "I'll take whatever gets me to be an officer."

See my sticky in the NROTC posting for more info

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Correct, but the NROTC program is a very different program than the USNA. Dedication to the PROGRAM was the points that we addressed in the application. We'd rather take an individual that WANTED NROTC rather than "I'll take whatever gets me to be an officer."
That is retarded. So, being committed to NROTC is more important than being committed to becoming a Naval Officer.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
That is retarded. So, being committed to NROTC is more important than being committed to becoming a Naval Officer.

Agreed. At my NROTC interview, I was asked what else I was considering and I told him USNA and if I can't get either USNA or NROTC I'd already been looking at the requirements for College Program NROTC and OCS and what I needed to do for either of those. The interviewer then specifically told me he was glad to hear that since I wasn't just scholarship hunting and that I actually wanted to be a Naval Officer.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor

Hey, It's dedication to the NROTC program they were interested in. It wasn't worth that many points...relax.