• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting In

liquidforcedude

Hey guys, Im in highschool and looking at colleges, I figured this would be a good place to see what It takes to get in, to hear from people who made it.... What does it take? Like straight A's and loads of extra curricular activities? Or can As and Bs get you in?

MrSaturn

Contributor
go to the usna.edu site and they will get you started with the process.

Its long its complicated and you should start now. Plus you can use the search function to find other people who asked the same question you just did.

Good Luck!

snake020

Contributor
I was on this subject with someone else yesterday and will share this point - don't be intimidated by the nomination requirement. You don't have to know a congressman personally, and there are other nomination avenues you can pursue should you not be able to get that particular one.

As for what the academies are looking for, if you are well rounded academically and do participate in extracurricular activities and sports, it'll most likely show you're the well rounded type of person they're looking for.

liquidforcedude

Yeah sorry I forgot to search, I feel like an idiot, im usually the one calling out othere people for not searching (other forums).... Ive got A's and B's so far this year, (I dont really try, but Im going to start really applying myself from this semester out) and wrestling and soccer are my only extracurricular activities this year but Ill be in math honnors society and student government next year.... But all we are fed now at school is basically your not getting into any major college unless uve got a 5.0 gpa and extracurricular activites and community service hours for miles....

MrSaturn

Contributor
Just apply and if you get turned down... oh well, you dont need a 5.0 gpa... plus there are many other ways to become an officer if you dont get accepted.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am a Blue and Gold Officer. BGOs are the guys that are supposed to answer questions like yours and help you through the application process. When you fill out the basic stuff on the USNA admissions web site you will be assigned a BGO. On that site you will also see the profile of the last class admitted. Almost everyone played varsity sports. Your GPA is important but your SAT or ACT scores are very important. Get good grades in math and science. There are specific course requirements for admissions. Make sure you take all the required courses. Seek out leadership opportunities in sports, Boy Scouts church or high school organizations. If you have not taken the PSAT take it now. The PSAT is required for application to summer seminar. I highly recommend Summer Seminar. Good luck.

Bumper365

Ok I'm a sophomore in high school right now, and I am pursuing to become a Naval Aviator. I'm wanting to get accepted into the Naval Academy. What are some thing I should do right now to improve my chances of getting in?

UMichfly

pilot
None
I would suggest scrolling up the thread you just posted in as well as reading through some of the information on this site. There are a lot of people here who've been in the same spot you are. Basically you'll find that hard work in school, team sports, and extracurriculars like Boy Scouts etc. are the way to go (yes, I'm stealing this straight from Wink's post and taking credit for it).

Make sure you let your Blue and Gold Officer as well as anyone you see in a flight suit know that you already have a callsign "Buffett". That will definitely help your chances. :D

Ufoz8mycow

Awesome.
Do your best in everything - academics, athletics, extra curriculars.

Befriend a Blue and Gold officer to help you with the process.

Dont kill any hookers on random trips to Tijuana.

Be 100% sure that this is the life you want.

I applied to the Naval Academy out of high school, got my nomination and got in, but ended up going to a regular college instead because I didnt feel like I was ready for it. But if I can get a nomination... Anybody can.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
Just a suggestion to those applying to the Academy. Make sure you apply for a NROTC scholarship as well. Both programs will get you commissioned and will get you to the same place. This way if you don't get into the Academy, you still might qualify for a ROTC scholarship at a civilian school. Basically, have a back up plan and don't rule any of your options out, especially since you are starting to think far ahead now.

As a side note, I wanted to go the Academy, got two nominations and was accepted. I had a small medical problem that kept me out, but that problem wasn't an issue for NROTC. I ended up going to Purdue University on a ROTC scholarship and graduating from there. Just remember, there are plenty of paths to a commission so examine them all to find the best fit for you.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just a suggestion to those applying to the Academy. Make sure you apply for a NROTC scholarship as well. Both programs will get you commissioned and will get you to the same place. This way if you don't get into the Academy, you still might qualify for a ROTC scholarship at a civilian school.
Excellent point. Let me add some insider info from a guy that conducts USNA candidate interviews. The BGO is REQUIRED to ask the candidate if he is applying for NROTC as well as the Academy and note the answer on the interview form for the board to review. Now you have to ask yourself, why would they require a BGO to ask that question and report the answer? I have never been accused of being the sharpest tool in the shed, but I can only figure it is because the admissions board thinks the answer to that question is important. And if that is the case, how can a negative answer possible help your application?

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Excellent point. Let me add some insider info from a guy that conducts USNA candidate interviews. The BGO is REQUIRED to ask the candidate if he is applying for NROTC as well as the Academy and note the answer on the interview form for the board to review. Now you have to ask yourself, why would they require a BGO to ask that question and report the answer? I have never been accused of being the sharpest tool in the shed, but I can only figure it is because the admissions board thinks the answer to that question is important. And if that is the case, how can a negative answer possible help your application?

I didn't apply for NROTC. I may have mentioned it during the interview, but it's not necessary to apply for it, too.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Is this a new requirement? When I was interviewed by my BGO (Winter 2003), he never asked me anything about NROTC.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Varsity sports, team captain and good grades mean a lot. Attending Summer Seminar is a plus. Also if you get an offer to come visit for an overnight stay at the academy. All good signs.

Class president and other student government roles do not carry much weight.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is this a new requirement? When I was interviewed by my BGO (Winter 2003), he never asked me anything about NROTC.
I have only been a BGO for two years now so I can't say for sure. But from talking to the other guys in my region, it has been SOP for a while. It is more likely your BGO simply failed to ask.