• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting a nomination?

akajjred

Alright I'm interested in becoming a naval avaiator. I just started my junior year in high school. I know the best way to get a pilot slot is through the academies.
I plan to apply to both the Naval and Air Force Academies, as well as both ROTC programs.
My question is how do I get a nomination from my local congressman? I have tried e-mailing him, but I got no response, that was over 2 months ago. Should I keep sending more e-mails, go to his office? I have no idea about how to go about doing this so I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
akajjred said:
Should I keep sending more e-mails, go to his office? I have no idea about how to go about doing this so I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Id call his office and request an application. Thats what i did and they sent me one the next business day. Youll fill it out, send transcripts, yada yada. If youre lucky, youll be called in for an interview with reps from all the academies. Youll mostly get grilled by the USNA rep and the others will watch. Wear something nice (shirt, tie, slippers?). If youre lucky, youll be selected as the top 10 from the region and go to a banquet or something like that. But remember, only one will have a seat at the academy. I recommend applying to both your senators too. I got my nomination from my congressman but I got very lucky i guess. Also, this was 4 yrs ago.

BTW, I turned down my appointment to USNA for a 4 yrs scholarship. I dont regret it one day. The time of my life :)

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Some of it depends on the congressman, for example, mine did all the Academy interviews at once, in late January of my senior year. Call their office (and the senators, too), ask for an application and how their process works.

Good Luck! USNA was the best decision I could have made.

Phantom Hawk

You can try looking for the info on his website too. A lot of congressman put that information on there, that's how I got a hold of mine.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Fezz CB said:
... call his office and request an application. ...

Bad information. You should submit a request for nomination via letter. Examples and format are contained in the USNA catalog. Also check website
https://congressionalnomsandappts.usna.edu. As a minimum, subit a request to: 1) Your Congressman 2) Both of your Senators and 3) Vice President. There are other nominations available for special circumstances, such as if either of your parents are now on Active Duty or are retired from any branch of the military services. Others are available as well.

Before you request a nomination you need to be "Pre qualified" by USNA admissions. Check the Academy website at www.usna.edu for the ten step admissions process. Also while you are there, check the Class of 2009 profile, will give you an indication of the competition and while you are there you can submit a request for information/catalog. Think that request can be done on-line. You should submit that request for information,catalog as soon as possible, other steps occur down the line.

Do not forget the Coast Guard and Merchant Marine Academy.

If I can answer specific questions, PM me.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
The Chief is right...

The official nomination letter format should still be in the catalogue... It was when I applied.

Also, about having a better chance going air out of an academy.... heh... not true. I was lucky as all hell to get an NFO slot out of USNA... Aviation billtes have also gotten alot more competitive out of the academies.. especially USNA and USAFA b/c of corrective eye surgery, which means more people are qualified for the same amount of slots.

Don't let that discourage you tho. Most of my classmates that wanted an aviation slot (and were qualified) got one.

Good luck.

BTW... if you want to be a pilot, don't discount NFO... being a backseater isnt bad at all... you still get to fly.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Check your congresspeoples' websites and see what they want. Plain and simple. Two of my congressmen wanted me to write to them to ask for an application, while the third had the application online for me to print, fill out, and send in. If you live in a big state, the senator's can be real tough... here in NY, there are on average 600 applications/ academy I was told by one office and that the top 25 get interviewed. Oddly enough, I was interviewed by 1 senator, the other declined, and I got my nomination from my Representative who had the smallest interview board of only 2 people, but something like 20+ applicants I believe. Also remember to apply to the Vice President, it can't hurt, plus it shows the academy that you have initiative -- that's huge.

usunkmybship

I just mailed a letter to my senators and congresswoman's office requesting an application and got them within 2 weeks. None of them required an interview to make things more simple.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
congresspeoples'

Wha??

Start at the end of your junior year. Don't be a pest, but be persistent. Talk to people who just did the process so you're ready for the interviews. Be informed about the academies you are asking for anomination to. Also work on ROTC at the same time. The more opportunities the better your chances.

Take your time on your applications. Essay should be well written, etc.

Good luck.

r/
G

USMMA 85 -> Navy NFO

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Schnuggapup said:

Then how do you pluralize and put in the posessive, a non (or multi)- gendered word for congressman/woman? At the time, it seemed like the best word, I realize now it probably doesn't exist, but either way, I suppose that it got the point across.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
[Threadjack]

DanMav1156 said:
Then how do you pluralize and put in the posessive, a non (or multi)- gendered word for congressman/woman? At the time, it seemed like the best word, I realize now it probably doesn't exist, but either way, I suppose that it got the point across.

I don't use that non-genderized crap. Way too PC for me.

It's Congressman to me whether it's a he or a she.

r/
G

[/Threadjack]

Please resume excellent discussion about nomination process.