• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting a High Interest Rate

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I found this website today and am pretty interested in the oppurtunities it can present to both borrowers and lenders. www.prosper.com As a lender, you can bid on a loan % and amount. Based upon the risk, the higher your rate of return is. There seems to be a lot of people on there that will pay back their loans at an APR that blows the highest savings accounts out of the water. If you diversify properly, I think you can safely earn 15%+.

On the borrower side, you could potentially save $ by consolidating and having people bid down your interest rate.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I've known about this for awhile. It seems like a good idea for lenders as long as you are highly, highly diversified. I wouldn't put more than a few dollars in any one loan. If a borrower is desperate enough to take a 24% interest rate, they probably sucked at paying back earlier, more reasonable loans.

It does blow savings accounts out of the water, but I don't think your money is readily available.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I would add caution to some of the returns being discussed. In all "investments", your final return is directly related to the amount of actual risk you assume. High returns, though there are exceptions, are generally the result of exposing yourself to higher risk. http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/riskreturntradeoff.asp

Ironically, Prosper.com debunks this "economic law" in that their riskier loans actually have terrible returns on investment. The high interest rate loans, if their data is correct, are a gamble. Actually, blackjack probably has a better rate of return if you factor in the free drinks.

For reference, see Prosper.com's own figures of return on investment (ROI) after factoring in their (short term) historical default rates.
http://www.prosper.com/lend/performance.aspx

If you follow the link, and click on the link under the "Estimated ROI" section, Prosper.com says that the historical return has been somewhere around 6-7% annually for the better credit grade loans (AA, A). That is before taxes. The loans for borrowers with poor credit have had disasterous returns, due to the sky-high default rates.

Another caution unique to this type of business is that during tough economic times, higher risk borrowers have a much higher rate of default. This is evident in today's housing credit market. If the economy heads for a recession, these people will be the first to default.

My suggestion is to stick to what you know, invest for the long term, and expose yourself to risk when your expected return (over time) justifies it.

If this was such a good deal investment, the large professional money managers would be jumping all over it. They aren't, because better returns can be had elsewhere for less risk.

YMMV.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My suggestion is to stick to what you know, invest for the long term, and expose yourself to risk when your expected return (over time) justifies it.

If this was such a good deal investment, the large professional money managers would be jumping all over it. They aren't, because better returns can be had elsewhere for less risk.

Excellent advice......

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot

YMMV.

I'll second that. The best thing for any investor to do is just index. There's very little to no unique risk and the fees are much lower than a managed fund. It's THE way to go.

High returns are ALWAYS the result of taking big risks. That's why you get high returns.

BTW investopdia is a great website for people who want to learn more about finance and investing.