• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Get your numbers right sailor!

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I understand the photo is a must and Ive had mine in for several years now. I'm just wondering why the board really needs to see a picture. When the word came down I really wanted to send in a picture of Tom Cruise from TG. Wonder how that wouldve gone down.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I am afraid the reply to the "explanation" would include "WITH ALL DUE RESPECT" to said flag.... that just won't work. I think the "explanation" would involve reitteration of our oath of office... shut your cakehole-esque lame-assery (is that a word?) is what I would expect, although I have an "open" mind and would love to experience the revelation of genuine understanding. Front-line warfighters would believe in this CRAP? Push it forward?
Most good senior officers have no qualms about explaining the logic of their policies or orders, given that it's the right time/place and done tactfully. It's when the explanation turns into an argument that it turns into shut your cakehole and do it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
We used to have photos in our jackets starting w/ LT. If you wanted to get promoted, you needed an updated one for each promotion board --

It was supposedly needed to check things like ... sideburns ... mustaches ... hair length ... ribbons ... :)

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
...I'm a minority by Navy standards, but I think (and truly hope) that everything I've received in the Navy, both for good and for bad, has been because of my merit or lack thereof. Things like this make me doubt my abilities, because I have no way of knowing if I've truly accomplished something, or if it was just handed to me.

Make some observations about how things work with other "minorities by Navy standards" over the next few years and see what conclusions you come up with. That may help you find your answer.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Ive gotten a few "interesting" emails inside the pentagon soliciting award nominees for this group from a certain YN1... requesting a photo as well. Wonder what "meter" they use to qualify nominees? I think we've handily crossed over the line of goodness on the supersonic pendulum of PC. I particularly like the "all, to include" parts, doesn't all mean all? Or are we trying to point something out here? Are we supposed to be colorblind?

"The BIG Meritorious Service Award is to be awarded to a military member and Department of Defense civilian employee who has significantly contributed to the oversea contingency operations through outstanding support to the mission of their organization and meeting one or more of the following criterion:
a. Demonstrating support for inclusion and promotion of DoD personnel to include women and minorities within the Armed Forces or federal civilian work force.
b. Promoting the tenets of civil/human rights, race relations, equal opportunity, affirmative action, human relations and public service programs.
c. Creating opportunities that support and contribute to the mentorship or development, and advancement or retention of all personnel to include women and minorities in government service consistent with merit principles.
d. Eliminating barriers that hinder equal opportunity or promoting programs and activities that advocate equal opportunity for all including women and minorities.
e. Creating opportunities that contribute to the fair selection, promotion and retention of all personnel including women and minorities for consideration in senior grade level positions and critically staffed and operational occupations.
f. Displaying exceptional character that distinguishes the individual as an outstanding leader, role model, or mentor in promoting the development or advancement of DoD personnel including women and minorities in the military or federal civilian work force.
g. Increasing significantly the participation of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in federal programs and enhancing the capacity building and infrastructure development of these institutions.
h. Increasing significantly the opportunities for Historically Black Colleges and Universities to participate in and benefit from DoD programs involving contracts and grants, student and faculty employment, Research and Development, and the Reserve Officer Training Corps.
i. Making personal sacrifices by his/her actions that result in significant contributions toward the development or advancement of all DoD personnel including women and minorities.
j. Distinguishing herself/himself as a leader and mentor of youth including female and minority youth, promoting their participation in science, technology, engineering and mathematical educational programs and technical career fields. "

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... doesn't all mean all?...
Doesn't 'is' mean 'is' ... ???

Like guys who came before you -- you can vote w/ your feet. Sometimes that seems to be the only thing that is capable of breaking through the bureaucratic ceiling of stupidity that separates the tip of the spear from the 'front office'. Here's to hoping the airlines are lookin' up in a year or two ...

I weep for the future of Naval Aviation ... and the Navy.

kurtzweep.jpg

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Blacks In Government (BIG), the organization who is sponsoring that particular award, is a non-profit organization, not a gov't entity, with a specific charter to provide:
... a national response to the need for African Americans in public service to organize around issues of mutual concern and use their collective strength to confront workplace and community issues. BIG's goals are to promote EQUITY in all aspects of American life, EXCELLENCE in public service, and OPPORTUNITY for all Americans.
The military has the option of not participating (putting people in for awards), but much of the military lags in the number of women/minorities - especially represented in the higher ranks. Whether this is due to opportunities, recruiting, etc., I'll leave to the HR folks, but being involved with groups like BIG and NNOA are seen as a chance to increase minorities in the militaries ranks. And there is always some Congressman holding the purse strings asking why we have so few women/minorities. Just a fact of life.