• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GE's new jet engine

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
TheBubba said:
Re-engine the B-52... that's a good use for it. Would cut the number of engines from 8 to 4, maybe possibly 2? I can see that happening. Less fuel + longer range + less engines = better aircraft.

But alas, that would make sense, and we all know that if the military did anything that made sense, it's instantaneously mink out of existance and be replaced by something even more bizzare and inexplicable... (does anyone get the reference?)

You know that does make sense - re-engining the B-52 like that. I doubt we will ever not have B-52's in the inventory.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
jamnww said:
We got anyone on here who can discuss the possibility of converting this for application in engines that might someday replace the props / rotors on the MV-22 Osprey? Or maybe just helo engines in general...?

Pretty big for an Osprey. I'm not sure you'd want to point an engine like this right at the ground. It would have to be very high bypass. Even a turboshaft engine like the Osprey's, which has relatively negligible exhaust, uses a "coanda" system to prevent exhaust from directly hitting the ground, and it's still pretty warm.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
phrogdriver said:
Pretty big for an Osprey. I'm not sure you'd want to point an engine like this right at the ground. It would have to be very high bypass. Even a turboshaft engine like the Osprey's, which has relatively negligible exhaust, uses a "coanda" system to prevent exhaust from directly hitting the ground, and it's still pretty warm.

Thanks thats exactly the information I was looking for...

Pags

N/A
pilot
TheBubba said:
True as it may be, you also have to look at the technology... Yes, something that large is impractical in most military airframes (save USAF cargo planes). However, the technology used in the engine... i.e. the curved fan blades on the intake that make the engine more efficient, can be scaled down and use in smaller engines that may be practical for military aviation.

I think the real value in this engine isn't just its size or power, but also the technological advances it encompasses that can be scaled down for use on smaller aircraft.

-More of Bubba's $0.02

Nothing scales linearly. You can't just shrink an engine and hope it works the same when you make it smaller. I have no clue how well it would work if you shrunk it down to something the size of an S-3 engine, but it wouldn't work the same. And I doubt it would have the same benefits in an engine with a lower bypass.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't do an auto with a jet engine...

Helo guys confirm? I figure the way helos and Osprey work, one can lift more stuff with a running takeoff due to rotor aerodynamics (works a little like a wing), but with a constant amount of thrust pointed at the ground, you get no benefit from a running takeoff.

A windmilling jet engine gets you jack in the way of effective lift.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
The Osprey has a wing, too, so it would still benefit from forward airspeed. I don't think you'd get any benefit from ground effect in a hover with a jet, though you'd still get it close to the ground in forward flight.

Pointing jets at the ground has its limits, which is probably why it hasn't been done to this point. Witness the JSF, which uses a clutched turboshaft to drive a fan for vertical propulsion. Previous VTOL aircraft, like the Harrier, have extremely limited hover times and weights. There's just a lot of efficiency lost there.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
There's no way it doesn't...it's like a sideways -46 with wings when it's taking off, and those blades are huge. Since I'm no aeronautical engineer, I'm just gonna stick with the autorotation part, since the blade pitch can be manually changed from "shallow" for blade acceleration to "coarse" for that last bit of thrust prior to touchdown. Or however you guys do autos.

In other words, no idea.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Yes, the Osprey does get translational lift, like a helo. Obviously, the faster you go, the more the wing becomes a player. You are right that you couldn't auto a turboFAN engine, but I don't think that's really why it's not used. I think it has more to do with jet blast and thrust efficiency.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
The Osprey has a wing, too, so it would still benefit from forward airspeed. I don't think you'd get any benefit from ground effect in a hover with a jet, though you'd still get it close to the ground in forward flight.

Pointing jets at the ground has its limits, which is probably why it hasn't been done to this point. Witness the JSF, which uses a clutched turboshaft to drive a fan for vertical propulsion. Previous VTOL aircraft, like the Harrier, have extremely limited hover times and weights. There's just a lot of efficiency lost there.

With the Harrier you don't really get ground effect per se, but you get the benefit of the jet fountain deflecting off the ground. The Harrier has a Lift Improvent Device System (LIDS) that helps to 'capture' the fountain and provide ~1200# of lift in the hover. Jets do have their limits in hovering flight. Harriers are limited by weight and a max of 5 minutes of sustained engine bleed (bleed air powers the reactive control system (RCS) ducts that control movement in jetborne/semi-jetborne flight). FOD is also more of an issue with jets, which is why we don't do sustained hovering below 50'. Lower than that you have reingestion of exhaust gases and with it, FOD issues.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Here's your vertically mounted turbofan.

"Arrest the drift, cushion the landing...with pogo sticks!"

Attachments

• ECN-1606.jpg
    ECN-1606.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 28

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Pags said:
Nothing scales linearly. You can't just shrink an engine and hope it works the same when you make it smaller. I have no clue how well it would work if you shrunk it down to something the size of an S-3 engine, but it wouldn't work the same. And I doubt it would have the same benefits in an engine with a lower bypass.

Talking concepts... sure if you used curved blades in a smaller engine, you'd have to change a buch of the blade specs. The same with any number of things on GE's engine.

However, if you take the technological concept and scale it correctly, making any neccessary adjustments, you may end up with an engine that can be used in military aviation.

It may not work, it may work. But ya gotta try...

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
So the B-52 with 8 engines... does it have 8 throttles? What, are they all like mechanically linked in one ungodly assembly? I can only imagine EPs in that behemoth... "uhhh... throttle affected engine off... hrmmm"

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
So the B-52 with 8 engines... does it have 8 throttles?

B-52G%20Stratofortress%20center.JPG

Does that answer that?

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Check out this web site from GE to get the full view of what they are working on: http://ge.ecomagination.com/

While the -115B is a great engine, the GEnx is the wave of the future. You'll find both under transportation aircraft, but if you have time the rest of the site is worth checking out as well, a true preview of what is to come.