• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Geography over the centuries

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you like history, go back further and research meltwater pulse 1b.
Any VAQ bubbas should Google the Channeled Scablands and Glacial Lake Missoula if they haven't already. Interesting origin of some of the weird terrain you fly over on the VR-1351 and VR-1350.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Happened to catch this website which shows national boundaries over the last 5,000 years in 1 year increments - thought I would pass it along. As a history major, it is quite fascinating.

Things to note for context. First, it's only in about the 1600s that the modern concept of the nation-state existed. Before then, at least in the West, land was ultimately property of a lord, who got it from a string of liege lords, who ultimately got it from a monarch, who got it from God by virtue of being a monarch. So borders were actually borders of the lands nobles inherited through various and sundry marriages, inheritences, and so forth.

Before THAT, Rome was Rome. And so was the Byzantine Empire, which was never called that until some German came up with that alternate term for the Eastern Roman Empire centuries later. But in a lot of other places, there were really no fixed borders, just areas where different tribes lived at a given time until other tribes pushed them out or they moved. That's why the Hungarians ended up in Hungary after originating somewhere around the Urals. And the Celts ended up in Britain after originating somewhere around the Alps. And the Visigoths ended up founding a kingdom in Spain after originating somewhere in Ukraine or Romania. And how a Scandinavian tribe ended up founding what ultimately became the Tsardom of Russia.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any VAQ bubbas should Google the Channeled Scablands and Glacial Lake Missoula if they haven't already. Interesting origin of some of the weird terrain you fly over on the VR-1351 and VR-1350.
Nick Zentner, a geologist from CWU, has a phenomenal YouTube page with tons of cool content on PNW geology.

A few videos on the aforementioned topics:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
playing with the map it is interesting to see how quickly Alexander the Great just smashed through the Persian (Achaemenid) Empire.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
It’s a NASA video and they said it’s a NASA P-3. I was more asking about the NASA flying corps (?) they use. Do they hire former Navy pilots? Is it available as a military tour for active duty P-3/P-8? What’s the crew size & composition in the back of the P-3 operating the sensors?

Pags

N/A
pilot
It’s a NASA video and they said it’s a NASA P-3. I was more asking about the NASA flying corps (?) they use. Do they hire former Navy pilots? Is it available as a military tour for active duty P-3/P-8? What’s the crew size & composition in the back of the P-3 operating the sensors?
I think the pilots are GSs and would guess probably some CSS. A lot of them are former USN since they kind of had the P-3 qual on lockdown. I can't imagine it's an option for an ACDU tour. I'd guess that backend crew would largely be dictated by whatever sensors/projects they're flying that day, ie your could be HW, PhD who developed some sort of ice sensor that NASA has agreed to fly. I'd think you and your ice nerd crew would be in the back.

NOAA and CBP also have/had P-3s.