• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

General Question About Fraternization

kjsupply05

Supply Candidate for OCS
Hey Everyone,

I've searched this forum and couldn't find anything specific about the Fraternization Policy between enlisted and officer friendships. I have a long time friend that is a Navy Petty Officer Second Class (E-5) and I am soon going to be an Officer after OCS/etc.

Does anyone have insight on the policies related to this? Can we still have an open friendship even though he is enlisted and I am an officer? -- My plan was for us to be roommates (if based together at the same location), but I wanted to know insight before I ask about that.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Everyone,

I've searched this forum and couldn't find anything specific about the Fraternization Policy between enlisted and officer friendships. I have a long time friend that is a Navy Petty Officer Second Class (E-5) and I am soon going to be an Officer after OCS/etc.

Does anyone have insight on the policies related to this? Can we still have an open friendship even though he is enlisted and I am an officer? -- My plan was for us to be roommates (if based together at the same location), but I wanted to know insight before I ask about that.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

Friends, sure. Don't be hanging out in his workspace during the work day, stuff like that. Meet up for a beer on the weekends, out in town, in civvies. But be aware that it could become a problem, especially if your friend should wind up in the same chain of command as you, or otherwise in a position where your friendship could be seen as unprofessional or detrimental to morale. "Favoritism or the appearance of favoritism" is the usual catchphrase.

Roommates, no.

kjsupply05

Supply Candidate for OCS
Friends, sure. Don't be hanging out in his workspace during the work day, stuff like that. Meet up for a beer on the weekends, out in town, in civvies. But be aware that it could become a problem, especially if your friend should wind up in the same chain of command as you, or otherwise in a position where your friendship could be seen as unprofessional or detrimental to morale. "Favoritism or the appearance of favoritism" is the usual catchphrase.

Roommates, no.

Thanks for the help clarifying that. So, from my understanding, as long as he is in a different chain of command - then it isn't an issue so much. He is also a completely different speciality. -- Mainly just interested in being friends after work hours and in civvies like you said.

kjsupply05

Supply Candidate for OCS
I definitely understand. I just figured I would check since we have known each other so long, I thought it would be nice to have a place off base that we shared. - But, that's why I figured I would ask input way ahead of time.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
To echo what others have said, no one expects you to disown friends from before you were in just because they're enlisted. There are tons of prior enlisted officers who balance that.

The roommates thing, that's a bad idea.

exNavyOffRec

To echo what others have said, no one expects you to disown friends from before you were in just because they're enlisted.

unless you have a dick for a CO, a CPO friend of mine picked up LDO, his CO saw him out in town with people the CO knew were CPO's, the next workday he was brought in and it was explained to him he is now and officer and not to fraternize with enlisted and then had to sign some letter acknowledging such.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
As Mentioned above, it's all in the eyes of the beholder...

This could go very badly for you if someone wants to interpret the rules strictly. A reasonable person possibly wouldn't, but not all chains of command are reasonable.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
unless you have a dick for a CO, a CPO friend of mine picked up LDO, his CO saw him out in town with people the CO knew were CPO's, the next workday he was brought in and it was explained to him he is now and officer and not to fraternize with enlisted and then had to sign some letter acknowledging such.

Did he get an LOI? If so, that's a dick move. Everywhere I've been, I've seen LDOs/Warrants given massive amounts of leeway when it comes to fraternization due to the fact that most of them are prior Chiefs and will naturally want to do Chief things since it's a brotherhood and stuff.

To tack onto the OP with my own personal anecdotes: I have two very close friends, one is a Coastie E3 and the other a Navy ET2. I've known both since long before I joined the Navy. We go out, hang out, and have a good time, but the minute we put uniforms on, they render the proper customs and courtesies as due a commissioned officer from NCOs. But when we're out in town, in civies, it's all first names and good times.

Another thing, don't let the idea of fraternization scare you away from getting to know the junior Sailors of your command and hanging out with them at work. There's a lot of good lessons you can learn from hanging out on the smoke deck or eating chow with them on the mess decks. Also, you showing personal interest in them is a huge motivator as they will believe and know that somebody in their chain of command really cares about their well-being.

exNavyOffRec

Did he get an LOI? If so, that's a dick move. Everywhere I've been, I've seen LDOs/Warrants given massive amounts of leeway when it comes to fraternization due to the fact that most of them are prior Chiefs and will naturally want to do Chief things since it's a brotherhood and stuff.

To tack onto the OP with my own personal anecdotes: I have two very close friends, one is a Coastie E3 and the other a Navy ET2. I've known both since long before I joined the Navy. We go out, hang out, and have a good time, but the minute we put uniforms on, they render the proper customs and courtesies as due a commissioned officer from NCOs. But when we're out in town, in civies, it's all first names and good times.

Another thing, don't let the idea of fraternization scare you away from getting to know the junior Sailors of your command and hanging out with them at work. There's a lot of good lessons you can learn from hanging out on the smoke deck or eating chow with them on the mess decks. Also, you showing personal interest in them is a huge motivator as they will believe and know that somebody in their chain of command really cares about their well-being.

I think it was an LOI, yes, dick move by a dick CO, kind of sucks because he went through some tough times, but in the end he ended up retiring at an O-4.

One thing I found out in all my years is that guys you think are dicks can end up being really cool, and guys you think are pretty cool can end up being dicks.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
I think it was an LOI, yes, dick move by a dick CO, kind of sucks because he went through some tough times, but in the end he ended up retiring at an O-4.

One thing I found out in all my years is that guys you think are dicks can end up being really cool, and guys you think are pretty cool can end up being dicks.

There are three types of people in this world ....