• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

General Aviation Maintenance Costs?

yak52driver

Contributor
Can you get an A&P without going to a brick and mortar school? Are there ways a naval aviator could work towards it?

I've heard of people with a/c maintenance experience or an apprenticeship that is documented testing out without going to a formal school, but you still have to have the background and be approved by the FAA to take the test. Normally you'll spend two years in a regular school to get it.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even though one of my personal goals is to own a cool private aircraft, I'm reminded of the saying,"A boat is a hole in the water you fill with money, a plane is a hole in the sky, a seaplane is both."

It's the 3F rule. If it flies, floats, or f_cks, it's cheaper to rent.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Can you get an A&P without going to a brick and mortar school? Are there ways a naval aviator could work towards it?
As for Naval Aviator I don't know any that have walked in and taken the test, but many enlisted use their experience and time served to go take the test. Most people I work with take a 1 week cram course then take the test. As yak52driver stated you have to have FAA approval along with time and experience doing the work. I’d have to have a letter from the director of maintenance stating I’ve been doing aircraft work for so many years if I wanted to go take the test. I’m actually considering the cram course; I understand the test covers stuff I’ve never worked with on military aircraft.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Some old dude at an airshow said I should work toward my A&P as a pilot, getting maintainers to sign stuff off. I told him that the stuff I'm allowed to touch won't qualify me for much. I don't think "preflighting" and "putting in covers" writeoffs will save much time.

yak52driver

Contributor
Some old dude at an airshow said I should work toward my A&P as a pilot, getting maintainers to sign stuff off. I told him that the stuff I'm allowed to touch won't qualify me for much. I don't think "preflighting" and "putting in covers" writeoffs will save much time.

Here's a link to the FAA's minimum requirements for getting an A&P, there's more detail at the web site.

http://www.faa.gov/mechanics/become/experience/

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
Let me preface this by saying I've never rebuilt an airplane engine. My experience is limited to auto and motorcycle engines.

That being said, where in the hell does all of this expense come from??!? I just can't see parts for a mill based upon 1950's reciprocating engine technology being that expensive. I guess what I'm getting at is this...is there a legitimate reason that these overhauls are so expensive (is there something I'm overlooking?), or is it simply a case of stamping the word 'AVIATION' on the product/service and tripling the price? :D

And I assume you can not rebuild your own engine without an A&P cert, correct?

Reciprocating aircraft engines have much lower tolerance for error and usage wear than their boat/automobile counterparts. By not allowing parts to wear beyond their usable limit, the risk of the engine failing in flight are reduced substantially. If the engine quits on your car, you pull off the side of the road, and if the engine quits on your boat, you float until someone pulls you ashore. If the engine quits on your aircraft, your life is in peril, and there's a good chance that your aircraft will be substantially damaged at the very least. That's why aircraft engines are different. The materials are better, the tolerances are lower, and the manufacturers and maintainers must be able to stand by their product and also prove that they are not liable for damages if or when they occur.

If you're looking for a cheaper (not cheap) way into ownership, you can consider experimental aircraft. If you build it yourself, then you can perform your own maintenance as necessary after it is declared safe and legal for flight. If you are the owner but not necessarily the original builder, you only need to have a "condition inspection" performed by any licensed A&P each year, rather than the full annual inspection performed by an A&P inspector that is required on certified aircraft. This can save a lot of money each year, but you still need to consider the costs of a hangar, fuel, and insurance combined with the original purchasing price. Your loan payment is only the beginning of what it costs to own one.