• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gas to raise 25cents/gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Flash said:
ANWR won't even come close to solving our problems. Here is a USGS assesment of how much we would actually get from ANWR:

The USGS estimates that the mean or expected value of the technically recoverable oil is 10.3 billion barrels from the ANWR Coastal Plain of the Alaska North Slope.

EIA projects peak production rates from 600,000 to 1.9 million barrels per day.... with peak production estimated to occur 20 - 30 years after the onset of production.

It is from this report:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/...discussion.html#anwr coastal plain assessment

We consume 20,743,000 barrels of oil per day as of Oct 2004. That is from this:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/petroleu.html#IntlConsumption

Here is how much oil reserves the OPEC countries have:

Of the world's 1.03 trillion barrels of proven reserves, 814 billion barrels are held by OPEC.

http://www.nigc.ir/eia/nonopec.asp

Long story short, we still need OPEC whether we drill in ANWAR or not. This kind of car is looking pretty good right now :icon_smil .

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/volvo-3cc.htm

Flash from the top rope.

Yeah Flash, I agree. One major thing we need is more refineries (US has half the refineries it had in the 70's) and less of those ridiculous regional blended gas that are produced in low quantities, driving price up.

Fly Navy said:
Can we invade Siberia?

I think China's got dibs on the invasion. Maybe if we could get Russia to start working it, then we could maybe get a pipeline going to the US. :D

Of course then Tom Clancy wouldn't shut up with the "I told you so..."

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Think about how bad the airlines have it! With oil north of $50/barrel things can't be good!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am far from an environmentalist (seen too many training areas fall to the rare and endangered Darwin should have killed it off long ago whatever) But I think the Pres missed an historic opportunity upon his re-election. As a Texas oil man he would have the credibility to stnd up and say "We will be fossil fuel self sufficient in 10 years" much like Kennedy did with going to the moon. The tech is out there and could be in place. Imagine if we invaded Iraq in hydrogen powered vehicles who produce water as a byproduct "Lcpl Benotz you look dehydrated suck my tanks tail pipe for a while" (Im kidding on this one)
If the President could do this we could
#1 tell the Saudis to go F@ck themselves and go back to herding goats
#2 Ensure even more than they already are that the Democrats would be irrelovent (He would win over every environmentalist leaving the Dems cross dressers and lesbians as a constituency
#3 Ensure the US owned all the technology to do this thus selling it to the world making huge bank for us.
#4 Revolutionize at least land based warfare by decreasing he logistic trail of vehicles.
#5 Eventually we will bleed the Earth dry of oil and it would be good to have a plan

I know some of this is not yet practical but with the political will and American ingenuity and know how it is not that far fetched.

Now Im going back to driving my SUV and hoping we get Iraq pumping more damn oil.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
I am far from an environmentalist (seen too many training areas fall to the rare and endangered Darwin should have killed it off long ago whatever) But I think the Pres missed an historic opportunity upon his re-election. As a Texas oil man he would have the credibility to stnd up and say "We will be fossil fuel self sufficient in 10 years" much like Kennedy did with going to the moon. The tech is out there and could be in place. Imagine if we invaded Iraq in hydrogen powered vehicles who produce water as a byproduct "Lcpl Benotz you look dehydrated suck my tanks tail pipe for a while" (Im kidding on this one)
If the President could do this we could
#1 tell the Saudis to go F@ck themselves and go back to herding goats
#2 Ensure even more than they already are that the Democrats would be irrelovent (He would win over every environmentalist leaving the Dems cross dressers and lesbians as a constituency
#3 Ensure the US owned all the technology to do this thus selling it to the world making huge bank for us.
#4 Revolutionize at least land based warfare by decreasing he logistic trail of vehicles.
#5 Eventually we will bleed the Earth dry of oil and it would be good to have a plan

I know some of this is not yet practical but with the political will and American ingenuity and know how it is not that far fetched.

Now Im going back to driving my SUV and hoping we get Iraq pumping more damn oil.
I agree with all the above, but people tend to look at hydrogen in the wrong way. Sure it's plentiful and can be made out of water, but electrolysis is an energy intensive process, and that power has to come from somewhere - probably burning fossil fuels. So, hydrogen powered stuff isn't the panacea that it's made out to be.

Good times,

Brett

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im not really up to speed on all the options nor do I think the above mentioned policy has to be linked to hydorgen maybe there is somehting better out there who knows it jsut doesnt seem like we are even trying right now. And besides the idea of bakrupt saudi princes driving hydorgen powered cabs make me laugh

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Brett327 said:
I agree with all the above, but people tend to look at hydrogen in the wrong way. Sure it's plentiful and can be made out of water, but electrolysis is an energy intensive process, and that power has to come from somewhere - probably burning fossil fuels. So, hydrogen powered stuff isn't the panacea that it's made out to be.

Yeah and I really don't want to carry around a tank of hydrogen around. Can you say Zippo?

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
Plus I think there's a reason the Pres already authorized funds to go into research on fuel cells based on extracting hydrogen from oil, rather than water. I'm waaaay outta my depth, but I'm starting to think there's some sort of world economic stability (or lack of it) that's dependent on an oil-centered energy system. Why else would our own government (namely the Pres and VP) be so seemingly obsessed with oil themselves?

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
What's more, the true potential of gasoline is being wasted. If all the potential energy stored in the bonds between the hydrogen and carbon atoms, were released then there would be enough energy liberated to blow your pistons through the cylinder heads and through the hood.

Even further, if pure oxygen were burned with gasoline instead of regular air, then not only would the reaction be more efficient, but the the only by products would be carbon dioxide and water vapor instead of the hodgepodge of gases released now.

snizo

Supply Officer
What's more, the true potential of gasoline is being wasted. If all the potential energy stored in the bonds between the hydrogen and carbon atoms, were released then there would be enough energy liberated to blow your pistons through the cylinder heads and through the hood.

doesn't that work for water too?

Status
Not open for further replies.