• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

gain weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

klostman

the happy dance!
Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding gaining weight, the healthy way? Most people are concerned about losing it, I would like to gain 10-15lbs. I'm in great shape, currently 5'9" 150-151lbs. Maybe being on a that damn college budget and living off of corn chex is why I'm having trouble gaining it. Should I just try to eat a lot when I can? I try to eat the 5-6 medium size meals a day but that is tough with a busy schedule and expensive, at least from my observations. I'm trying to stay away from supplemements. I wonder if I'm actually burning more than I'm taking in because I've slowly been losing weight. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

michaels601

Simba Barracuda.
not an expert, but chowing down before you go to bed is supposed to help put on weight. GNC guy suggested cottage cheese when i was trying to add some meat (i'm a lanky f*cker). but, far as i know, it's got to go hand in hand with lots and lots of weights. get used to spending lots of time in the gym (which is tough to do... i also live in the financially decrepit and not-enough-hours-in-the-day world of college).

i didn't have time to work on it, so i never got to see if it works, but now i'm kind of glad. pull ups are killing me on the PFT, and i can't imagine how much more fun it would be if i was lifting an extra fifteen pounds. i'm personally concentrating on turning what i've got into straight muscle, staying skinny and getting stronger, but i think pretty soon i'm probably going to have no choice but to add mass. not sure how i'm gonna handle that, since i already eat more per week than my paycheck can handle.

klostman

the happy dance!
I guess I should give a little more background. I do lift, have for the last 5 years. Pullups, or the PFT for that matter, are not a problem. I guess my question is, anyone who has lifted or worked out for a while, how do you gain good lean muscle mass or good weight in general? I have the workout down, just need some ideas how to gain good weight as far as food is concerned.

perchul

I'd like to think I'm your man. I've lifted pretty consistently for 7 years with a few long breaks inbetween...and I'm a firm believer good weight is the only weight. I see alot of guys in our position of over analyzing the nutrition stuff...yeah don't start swalling down Mcyd's but as a college student one time I also know that budget and food don't always go hand and hand.

One thing you didn't say how much weight your looking to gain, but I can tell you one thing don't plan to put on good lbs any faster then .5 a week and thats hard. Now you are pretty light even by my standards...at my peak I was 5'6 @ 143 and 3.8%. I know the nutrition on the back of weight gainer has you thinking bad news but I would finish up your last tub of protein and substitute gainer. Figure out how many calories a day your taking in now and up it by 15 - 20 % using the gainer. I can't tell you exactly what to do because our bodies are all different. If your sleeping less then 8 hours try to find room in your schedule to up it to 8 or 9 this will increase your strength most likely to because your body can do more recovery. If your not lifting legs you need to really do that, I've been told by IFBB pros that it will up your testosterone output allowing you to pack on more muscle which + weight ...(I don't know how they know, they're all juiceheads.) Anything else PM me

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
klostman,

How old are you? How much do you weigh?

Probably a youngster....us old geezers have to worry about keeping weight off. Years ago when I was playing football and still very active, I and my roommate would drive to the 39c hamburger stand buy a dozen burgers each ..........for one meal. Man, these days if I even smell a McDs meal, my butt starts to swell. Even bigger.

Anyway, to more directly answer your question....don't concern yourself so much with gaining weight...instead focus on gaining lean body tissue. I suspect that is what you want anyway.

This is what I suggest: focus your lifting routines on core lifts and power lifting....BP, decline press, squats, hip sled, lunges, power cleans, deadlifts, etc.....lifts which utilize large muscle groups. The set/rep pattern you should utilize is 3-4 sets with 6-9 repetitions at about 70% or so of your 1RM. The last few reps should be tough to complete. Lifting in general will give you certain, specific results dependent upon your set/rep pattern and your level of exertion.

Regarding protein....in most cases excess protein either gets flushed down the toilet or is stored as fat. Normal folks use about .8 - 1.6 grams/Kg of body weight. About the size of a hamburger pattie. However, if you spend any time exercising, whether it be lifting or running, your body can use the extra protein. Lifters generally can use from 2.2 - 4.0 grams/Kg of body weight, depending on how often and how intense their workouts are. So, to shorten this up a bit, protein powders do work, but, use them according to your level of exertion.

If you have a gym nearby ask them if their instructors are certified by either NSCA or ACSM. If they say "huh?" you would be wise to continue your search. They can likely more directly and instantly answer your questions.

If you want more details, feel free to PM me. I would be glad to help. I do this for a living, been at it for 20+ years or so, got a few extra initials after my name, blah blah blah.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Little Debbie's Swiss Cake rolls were the key to my weight gain, (Little Debbie is such a calorie whore) I haven't ate a single one in almost a year (when I got news of my pro-rec). At 270 calories for every two cakes, If you want to gain weight thats the way to go (That and a nice Chinese Buffet) mmmmmmmm......sushi

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First off, stop lifting weights or any cardio exercise immediately! Second, drink lots of beer, and not that light beer stuff....I mean real beer. Should have no problem packing on the pounds.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
guinness.jpg

malecold

Unlike you, my problem is that I gain weight much too quickly and then have a hard time slimmig down (I'm 5'8", 185 lbs.). One thing that I noticed helped me get considerably thicker and stronger after lifting traditional weights for years was to incorporate power-lifting into a program, if you haven't done so already. Dead-lifts, cleans, and clean and jerks seemed to add a new element to my strength and got me a lot wider/thicker. However, if you do decide to try something new, remember to always retain good form and start with lighter weights because I've seen way too many back injuries from people power-lifting the wrong way. Good luck, hope this helps.

klostman

the happy dance!
Steve Wilkins said:
First off, stop lifting weights or any cardio exercise immediately! Second, drink lots of beer, and not that light beer stuff....I mean real beer. Should have no problem packing on the pounds.

So that means michelob ultra light is out of the question?

bigsur009

waiting not so patiently for OCS...
no, michelob ultra doesn't count because it doesn't really qualify as beer. not even a girl should drink that watery crap.

klostman

the happy dance!
bigsur009 said:
no, michelob ultra doesn't count because it doesn't really qualify as beer. not even a girl should drink that watery crap.

I love the commercials they have, showing ripped people working out and then drinking a michelob afterwards, praising its LOW carb content and great taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.