• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FYI: USMC Captain Recognition Bonus (MarAdmin 611/08)

7562Driver

pilot
Testing The Waters?

Does anyone think that this might be an initial "sucker" offer to see how many might jump on it? Maybe along the lines that if only a few take the offer they might come up with a bigger number later?

Clux4

Banned
No, I do not think they are going to increase it. What they might do is to turn around and implement a stop-loss. Standby
I am sure there is someone at HQMC that did the math and came up with $4K. Why not $5K?
Takers, anyone?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
All of my non-pilot Captains are taking it. They seem pretty happy about it, too.

Personally, I lost more in taxes on my bonus than this one is worth. Kind of like the chopper bonus from a few years ago. What was it? 7K?

Seems about right.

Smiles, of course.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, and everyone's forgotten about the 42 (I counted) vehicle ORM package required for everyone. VA's going to shit themselves when they start cutting me disability checks for carpal tunnel.

What is this? I am just curious.

Clux4

Banned
Let us see,
What activities are you likely to participate in during you leave. Please circle all that apply?
Do you skydive?
Do you rock climb?
Do you ride motorcycles?
Does you car have tires?
Do the horns work?
Do you have a windshield?
Are you single?
Are you going to be involved in sexual activities?
Do you consumer alcohol

* Trust me, the list goes on

Ok, so when I add the numbers that correlate to these DANGEROUS activities, the Marine is found to be UNSAFE. He will need additional counseling from his NCOIC and OIC. At the counseling, we will talk about ways of mitigating the above dangers. Marine will then sign off on agreed upon course of action. By signing this, he is pledging to abide to everything that was discoursed.

Who comes up with this sh!t?
By the way, 1stSgt’s are demanding this shit like the Monday before the 96.

This is the future of our Corps!

phrogpilot73

The grunts require a 5 paragraph order + vehicle inspections + above checklists. It was about 10 pages of crap when I left active duty, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was more now. Oh, and officers only didn't have to do the 5 paragraph order. We had to do all the other shit too, we can't be trusted to keep our vehicle in order!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is too bad when I was at the grunts the safety stupidity hadnt infected them as it had the wing. That and organic soy milk in the DFACs in Iraq has doomed our beloved Corps.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Damn... and I thought the Corps had its house the most in order of all of us!

The ORM stuff gets me a little pissed off on the Navy side of the house, too. Good concept, starting to get taken to the extreme though.

Take a military full of type A personalities, then be sure to hold their hand and either A. prohibit most of the type A activities or B. make sure there is a pile of bullshit to sling before they can participate in said activities with their CYA premium paid up.

Then, send them off to war.

BRILLIANT!

phrogpilot73

The big problem is that we as a society have started to value life to such an extreme, that a tragic incident which should be viewed as just that - tragic, is now thought to be able to be legislated/ruled out of existence. People forget that sometimes, shit happens.

Perfect example - my roommate from the Naval Academy would have had to ORM the shit out of his climbing Mt. Ranier, and the drive to and from. Didn't prevent some drunk assholes from deciding they were tired of shooting at street signs, and blowing his brains out while he was innocently driving back from successfully climbing Mt. Ranier.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The 42 pages comes from the 2MAW vehicular information package, ORM packages, vehicle inspections, liberty pledges, etc, etc that we have to fill out prior to any form of liberty/leave being taken. Even if I do not own any on-road, off-road or hover-capable motorcycles, ATVs, etc, I am still required to fill out the damned paperwork. Ah, bureaucracy!

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The consensus among some of us in the 'critical' control group MOS's is that it's at best an insult.

That's really the crux of the issue as I see it. It's insulting. The powers that be deem it acceptable to try and buy another year of our life for little more than a single, after-taxes paycheck, while certain "critical" enlisted MOSs are seeing re-enlistment bonuses upwards of $50k for 4 years, which, by the way can be tax-free if the Marine re-ups in a tax free zone, something that doesn't apply to any aviation bonuses. So really, how "critical" are we?

Personally, if you are in an aviation MOS, I think you'd be a fool to take this. Ground guys who don't get flight pay or anything, perhaps, but no way unless you're in a tax-free zone.

I'm really curious to see what the overall response will be. Even if it's outright rejection by the Captains (and I kinda hope it is), the Corps will probably just end the cutoff date for the offer and keep it open-ended, thinking people needed more time or some other deluded COA.

It's funny, because in the end, you could retain people far easier by fixing the recurring complaints rather than attempting outright bribery.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The bonus for one of the first term Sgts that work for me was $82k. Add on the $10k kicker for extending with a deployable unit, and this guy would have reached the cap of 90 grand. That's $90, TAX FREE, as we were in Afghanistan at the time. He turned it down, much to my sheer, utter dismay. The money, which could very well be life changing if managed/utilized properly, aside, I really wanted this guy to stay because he really was a rockstar. (I also prodded him daily to submit a MECEP package.) He simply had enough, though. Enough of the deployments, barracks inspections, ORM, intrusive leadership from LtCols, Cols, and Generals, vehicle inspections before every weekend, etc, etc, etc. It was simply too much for him, and it's proved too much for a lot of my friends on the officer side, as well.

As a side note: The above situation is one example of where I think we tend to let our Marines down. Not everyone is cut out to be a Marine for 30 years, no matter how far they've walked on water. A certain amount of toeing the party line is part of my job, but if after that they still opt to get out, then am I absolved of all responsibility to them? I say not just no, but fuck no. One thing that I've stressed to my Marines is that they are MY Marines, and I take care of my people. I extend that to after they have left my charge, as well.

I can't think straight. I'm too damn tired. One week, and it's block leave...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let us see,
What activities are you likely to participate in during you leave. Please circle all that apply?

By the way, 1stSgt’s are demanding this shit like the Monday before the 96.

The grunts require a 5 paragraph order + vehicle inspections + above checklists. It was about 10 pages of crap when I left active duty, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was more now. Oh, and officers only didn't have to do the 5 paragraph order. We had to do all the other shit too, we can't be trusted to keep our vehicle in order!

I really wish you all were joking, but obviously you all are not.

When did this all start? Who or what was the origin of all of this? And has any of the complaints of all of this making it up the Commandant and other leadership?

I can honestly say that nothing the Navy did came even close to the extreme of what you all are doing right now. The standard 'don't drive 36 hours home' lecture was what we got from the XO in my last squadron. There was no ORM'ing your leave or weekends, not even close.

Maybe someone ought to write a "Nobody asked me, but.....' Proceedings article.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I'm really curious to see what the overall response will be. Even if it's outright rejection by the Captains (and I kinda hope it is), the Corps will probably just end the cutoff date for the offer and keep it open-ended, thinking people needed more time or some other deluded COA.

It looks like the majority of the o-3's in our squadron will be taking the bonus. I'm still torn. Insulting, yes. But to not take it as an act of defiance...?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
It looks like the majority of the o-3's in our squadron will be taking the bonus. I'm still torn. Insulting, yes. But to not take it as an act of defiance...?

Why are you even thinking of taking this bonus as a pilot? It makes no sense. You will delay getting a $20K bonus for a year to get $4K now. Barring some serious investing brilliance, you're never going to make it up.

The only reason to take it is if you are already getting out anyway (for sure) and have either extended to deploy or are willing to stay for ONLY 1 more year to get $4k.

If you're a 75XX you shouldn't take it. Wait for the aviation bonus.

For non-pilots....it makes sense (or as much sense as it will ever make) to take it.