• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FYI: Rosetta Stone now available on Marinenet

Malice 1

pilot
My wife is trying to learn Italian. How unethical would I be if I just gave her my Marinenet logon info and let her use some free rosetta stone?

I haven't logged on in quite a while. Now that have a real MOS, Marinenet isn't going to have any "sensitive" information that she can't look at, right?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Just consider it her reclaiming some of the tax money stolen from her by the gov't over the years...

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
My wife is trying to learn Italian. How unethical would I be if I just gave her my Marinenet logon info and let her use some free rosetta stone?

I haven't logged on in quite a while. Now that have a real MOS, Marinenet isn't going to have any "sensitive" information that she can't look at, right?

She isn't allowed to make her own account? NKO allows dependent access. I guess its not much to brag about though since we don't have Rosetta.

Not sure if there are newer versions of it out there but the copy I have of Italian sucks IMHO. It teaches you completely unrelated material with no explanation of use or grammar. I've been teaching myself Italian for quite some time now hoping I will be able to put it to use someday. I think if you are looking for something free check out Live Mocha last I logged on there were still in beta so it was free and no advertising. Don't think that will last for long. I felt like they did what Rosetta stone attempts to claim their course does. Plus you can access it from the internet.

Things I've used in my endeavor of language (order of preference):

• Pimsleur (very expensive but I know I've seen .mp3's on bit torrent sites for basically every language package--bad I know, I got mine from ebay)
  • Live mocha
  • Barron's reference guides
  • Rosetta Stone
  • LingQ
Pimsleur will only take you so far but it easily gets you speaking actual conversational language and helps to reinforce your vocabulary. I make my own flashcards for vocab drills pulling from all sources.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

1. Unethical, yes. Take from that what you will, young Jedi.

2. Not unless "military postal procedures," "basic vehicle recognition," or "introduction to information security," are of great interest to Al-Qaeda.

Malice 1

pilot
1. Unethical, yes. Take from that what you will, young Jedi.

2. Not unless "military postal procedures," "basic vehicle recognition," or "introduction to information security," are of great interest to Al-Qaeda.

haha.....nice.

I'll check and see if she can make her own marinenet acct. It's a moot point, however. The likelyhood of her sitting down and actually working toward mastery of another language for no real reason is very slim.

unethical.....yes.

relevant....no.

KBayDog

AQ is likely to exploit our Global War on Error knowledges...only after, of course, they learn how to be Range Safety Officers in one easy computer lesson. I think we still have time to develop, release, and complete GWOE Module Six.

In any event, the MarAdmin announcing the release of Rosetta Stone was just posted.

sahrab

Ethical.... well you already know the answer. While MarineNet is freely available to your Dependents (your setup as their sponsor) some items, such as Rosetta are only available to Active Duty/Reserve Marines.
Well if she had your login/password it would be moot, no? (j/k) :icon_mi_1

Items that are Active Duty/Reserve specific are only available to those with that status.

sahrab

She isn't allowed to make her own account? NKO allows dependent access. I guess its not much to brag about though since we don't have Rosetta.
Yes Dependents have the ability to make their own accounts (their ActiveDuty/Reservist spouse is their sponsor)