• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FYI: Rosetta Stone now available on Marinenet

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Finally catching up to AKO, we now have free rosetta stone courses available to Marines.

Available languages:
Arabic
Chinese
English (Britain)
English (USA)
French
German
Hebrew
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Portuguese
Russian
Spanish (Latin America)
Spanish (Spain)

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I just tried the Rosetta Stone demo disk once and it was phenomenal. The fact that it is free for you guys amazing, don't let that go to waste. Hopefully the Navy follows the Marines lead on this one.

skidz

adrenaline junky
It's been free for army personnel for a while. About time the Marines got it.

Yankee Uniform Tango
They should make a Rosetta Stone for Marineese.

"Yut yut devildog, oorah - Semper Fi, good to go!"

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Anybody ever use Rosetta Stone? If so how does it work?

It is VERY effective for learning basic conversational language. It isn't good to learn academic or advanced reading/writing of the language (granted my use of it was limited to a month or so).

It uses pictures to associate the word to an object and then an action with multiple objects etc, getting more and more complicated until you learn basic sentences and conversation.

This way instead of rote memorization of translating definitions, you simply associate the word itself to an image. This is more natural (ie: the way we learn our primary language as a baby).

There are more advanced features to learn more advanced parts of the language (audio exercises with vocal practice via microphone and writing exercises etc) but the main premise is word and image association instead of translation/memorization.

It is VERY expensive (on the order of like a couple hundred depending on languages/levels).

lmnop

I used it for Italian and Arabic. Like Otto said, it uses alot of word-picture association and quizzing. There are also audio-written word associations and speaking where your tone and inflection are matched against that of a native speaker. Obviously, the results aren't going to be as good as with an immersion experience, but still a good tool.

I got an AKO/JKO account with the hopes of being able to access their Rosetta, but no dice. Hopefully the Navy will follow suit soon and make it available on NKO.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
+1 to Otto, it's the most effective self-education, I think, it mimics the interactivity of the classroom environment very well. I've found that I'm much slower to pick up reading non-roman alphabets (Chinese and arabic), and am looking for an introduction to their character system to supplement the rosetta stone system, but it works great for speaking/listening.

Link? Is it available to the public?
Um, no, that would sort of undercut Rosetta Stone's sales, wouldn't it?

Having used Rosetta Stone before, the military version is a bit different, the press releases say it's targeted toward a condensed timeframe or something like that.

Rubiks06

pilot
The Navy does have language course available online under NKO. Is it Rosetta? I am not sure...but it is free and every little bit helps i guess. The nice thing being that there are certain languages that if you take a proficiency test you can get an extra hundred bucks a month in your pay check. Might be worth it.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The Navy does have language course available online under NKO. Is it Rosetta? I am not sure...but it is free and every little bit helps i guess. The nice thing being that there are certain languages that if you take a proficiency test you can get an extra hundred bucks a month in your pay check. Might be worth it.

At least for the Marines, officers are only eligible for the bonus if actively using that language in their current assignment. Prior enlisted keep their designation as an interpreter and can draw DLPT pay regardless of whether their current billet uses it.

Don't know if it's similar on the Navy side.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Do Hebrew. Israeli chicks are hot. :D

They really are. I had an Israeli chick in one of my classes in college. Former Army Sgt. She had a body that would make J Lo jealous. I barely passed that class...spent too much time drooling over her.