• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY18 O-5 results

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Results for O-5 are out. Congrats to all the selects!

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/ALNAVS/ALN2017/ALN17042.txt

Board statistics are here:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/activedutyofficer/05line/Documents/FY18 AO5L STATS.pdf

What I find interesting on that there were 3 pilots selected Below Zone; that is fairly unprecedented. This is the change we (Royal we) were looking for with the masking of zones in the board, and I am glad to see that these 3 are being rewarded for their hard work. I hope we see a similar occurrence with the O-4 board.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Interesting. Congratulations to those selected!

A seemingly large number of 1310s below zone this year at 439, compared to 301 in zone, (1320 is even more of a difference, at 163 vs 109). Does that mean next year could be a 1310 O-5 "bloodbath", or do that many people really choose to get out within a year of their O-5 board?

BigRed389

None
Interesting. Congratulations to those selected!

A seemingly large number of 1310s below zone this year at 439, compared to 301 in zone, (1320 is even more of a difference, at 163 vs 109). Does that mean next year could be a 1310 O-5 "bloodbath", or do that many people really choose to get out within a year of their O-5 board?

If I'm not mistaken, below zone is always larger than IZ because it usually spans 2 YG's/BZ looks.

Reactions: IKE

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's possible I may just be missing it on the website, but does anyone have a link to the Reserve side?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
If I'm not mistaken, below zone is always larger than IZ because it usually spans 2 YG's/BZ looks.
d3884573777c80bff020544f01f6dc15e9a6840e196ae07f754decc979a8a635.jpg

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I may be mistaken, but I think you can divine who the BZ selects were by finding numbers 0476-0481 in the list, since BZs would have lower precedence than IZs/AZs.

Also, I wonder if the three BZ aviators got their DH high-water FITREPs before the ALNAV popped.

Edit: I did this. Unsurprisingly, none of the BZ 1310s appeared on the CMD screen results.

Last edited:

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I may be mistaken, but I think you can divine who the BZ selects were by finding numbers 0476-0481 in the list, since BZs would have lower precedence than IZs/AZs.

Also, I wonder if the three BZ aviators got their DH high-water FITREPs before the ALNAV popped.

Edit: I did this. Unsurprisingly, none of the BZ 1310s appeared on the CMD screen results.

I am interested in your analysis. Could you PM me the 0476-0481?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

I'm missing something here. Wouldn't a BZ O-5 screen (or even an IZ one) come well before that person was up for a CMD screen board?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's possible I may just be missing it on the website, but does anyone have a link to the Reserve side?

By the release process tracker, the Reserve O-5 results aren't out yet. I would think they would be out in about 2-3 weeks.

Farva01

BKR
pilot

I'm missing something here. Wouldn't a BZ O-5 screen (or even an IZ one) come well before that person was up for a CMD screen board?

The O-5 board starts a month before the command board and the command board doesn't look at below zone. Since the command board is an admin board the results are out way sooner. Technically you could screen for command and not pick up O-5 (I have seen it happen).
I don't know if the below zone is good news exactly. They just jumped up into a year group that had already had one look at command. I am sure their records are solid, but if they don't pick up command next year will they have a second look?
The masking of zones was to help out the above zone peeps.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the masking of zones was going to help the AZ folks, it was destined to help a few BZ folks too then. This is good though; You can say that a true superstar could actually be recognized with an Early Promote. That has been a major complaint in the past, so we now have a (small) demonstration of change. Within existing law, I think this is about all we can do to recognize a true rockstar.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The O-5 board starts a month before the command board and the command board doesn't look at below zone. Since the command board is an admin board the results are out way sooner. Technically you could screen for command and not pick up O-5 (I have seen it happen).
I don't know if the below zone is good news exactly. They just jumped up into a year group that had already had one look at command. I am sure their records are solid, but if they don't pick up command next year will they have a second look?
The masking of zones was to help out the above zone peeps.

Yeah, was gonna ask, is the command screen before the O-5 board.......because a lot of these folks already screened months ago.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot

I bounced the list off of the VFA bubba list and found one of them. I'm pretty sure he is DH complete and off to another high visibility job. I am not surprised he picked it up BZ.

What I don't like is NPC math. If you are going to include the selects from AZ / BZ in the total, then you should also include the eligible in that calculation.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Follow-on question: how many months buffer is usually built-in by the PERS wizards between the end of a CO tour and the URL O-6 board?

Early O-5 + on-time CMD screen could be bad if you don't get that last CO FITREP and/or start a joint tour before your first CAPT look.