• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY17 STA-21 Applicants

HDND

Dare Mighty Things
Unless I'm missing something crazy, it sounds like a standard (comprehensive) exam. I would imagine as long as you are up to date with your IMR, it should go by without incident.
Yep, just a standard (comprehensive) exam and should not take too long to get done as long as you do not need waivers. Waivers are easy to get but can take some time to get back.

Zachary Wagoner

FY-17 Nuclear Selectee
Well after this week we'll be half way through october. Anyone considered calling NPC yet to check the status? I think some people did last year. Or emailed at least.

HDND

Dare Mighty Things
Yes please let up know what they say :cool:. Also I am having trouble accessing message traffic so if anyone sees the results let us know. I will try to fix my account in the meantime.

HDND

Dare Mighty Things
So I wonder if we already have the type III uniforms if we will be required to purchase the blue type I uniforms for NSI or our ROTC unit. Does anyone have any info on this?

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
So I wonder if we already have the type III uniforms if we will be required to purchase the blue type I uniforms for NSI or our ROTC unit. Does anyone have any info on this?

NSI will differ from class to class. Remember it's only hosted once a year, so there is no set way for it to operate. This being true, your class officer and class chief will have a major influence in what they require you to buy. I will tell you this from my experience. None of us were required to purchase NWU. We were given free reign to buy the uniforms we needed with our allowances. We were not required to wear the NWU at all during NSI. Stitching all the gold name tapes on uniforms takes forever.

If selected, you should call your prospective ROTC and ask them if they wear the Type I.

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
I haven't emailed NPC. I might after tomorrow. Scared I'll jeapordize myself if I'm on the list for being impatient. Here is some good info on NSI if you guys haven't seen it.
http://www.ocs.navy.mil/nsi.html

Ha, they aren't going to remove you (if you're selected) because you sent them an email. The only person who is a designated POC for STA is the coordinator for the program in P-cola. However, if you email them I'm positive they will just reply with "results will be released sometime this month/NLT 31 OCT/as soon as possible. I'm sure they're waiting like everyone else is.

As far as the uniforms go, each selectee/alternate receives a congratulatory letter and welcome aboard package from NSI. Can't confirm, but I would imagine they may tell you what you need to purchase before you leave OR give you a point of contact (sponsor-type) to ask those types of questions.

Zachary Wagoner

FY-17 Nuclear Selectee
Ha, they aren't going to remove you (if you're selected) because you sent them an email. The only person who is a designated POC for STA is the coordinator for the program in P-cola. However, if you email them I'm positive they will just reply with "results will be released sometime this month/NLT 31 OCT/as soon as possible. I'm sure they're waiting like everyone else is.

As far as the uniforms go, each selectee/alternate receives a congratulatory letter and welcome aboard package from NSI. Can't confirm, but I would imagine they may tell you what you need to purchase before you leave OR give you a point of contact (sponsor-type) to ask those types of questions.
If you go to the link I posted, it says you can bring uniform items on the list you already have but do not purchase anything prior to getting there. It's about $2300 worth of clothing but you get an allowance, unless you are a chief.

DANG3R M0US3

Yep, just a standard (comprehensive) exam and should not take too long to get done as long as you do not need waivers. Waivers are easy to get but can take some time to get back.

I set up my physical today after completing the optometry, audiology, dental, and blood work portions and a question came up with the Corpsman. Will I need an EKG for SWO/ED? I have looked through the resources listed and can not find a definitive answer. Each one of the instructions seems to point to the others for specifics but none list what is actually needed. I understand getting an EKG if you will be a pilot (which one location specifically mentioned), but other options seem like they should not need it.

HDND

Dare Mighty Things
I set up my physical today after completing the optometry, audiology, dental, and blood work portions and a question came up with the Corpsman. Will I need an EKG for SWO/ED? I have looked through the resources listed and can not find a definitive answer. Each one of the instructions seems to point to the others for specifics but none list what is actually needed. I understand getting an EKG if you will be a pilot (which one location specifically mentioned), but other options seem like they should not need it.
This is because it is a commissioning physical so they want to make sure everyone is in tip top shape, is it excessive...yes. It should not be a problem though and only takes a few minutes.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT

No, that isn't what is in the letter at all. The letter is generic and states that you're still a "conditional selectee." It's a congratulatory letter.

Also: http://www.ocs.navy.mil/nsi_uniform.html

Read that. It states "If you do not already own uniforms listed on the NSI Uniform Issue list, do not purchase them prior to arrival. "

Don't guess on this stuff. Ask.

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
Don't guess on this stuff. Ask.

Not guessing. The uniform list annotates "NWU" on it. It doesn't specify type, which I was believed where his question was coming from. But yes, nothing should be purchase prior to NSI -- understood. Also, thanks for the info about not having to wear the NWU at NSI. That's a good tidbit of info, since it contradicts the site in saying that the UOD is typically NWU or Service Khakis.

The NSI link also give information for a lead RDC for any questions/concerns, which is what I was getting at re: a POC. Not having been selected previously, I can only go off what I actually know; what's in the instruction/web site and my own prior experiences in the Navy. Obviously, we all rely (gratefully) on prior selectees' experiences to fill in the blanks.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Not guessing. The uniform list annotates "NWU" on it. It doesn't specify type, which I was believed where his question was coming from. But yes, nothing should be purchase prior to NSI -- understood. Also, thanks for the info about not having to wear the NWU at NSI. That's a good tidbit of info, since it contradicts the site in saying that the UOD is typically NWU or Service Khakis.

The NSI link also give information for a lead RDC for any questions/concerns, which is what I was getting at re: a POC. Not having been selected previously, I can only go off what I actually know; what's in the instruction/web site and my own prior experiences in the Navy. Obviously, we all rely (gratefully) on prior selectees' experiences to fill in the blanks.
Some of the information on the OTCN website is good, but most of it is outdated. We brought it up during exit reviews. But it looks like they haven't changed much. It's kind of sad how much attention STA 21 doesn't get. It feels like a collateral duty for the OTCN staff since they don't have year round NSI staff.

I wasn't trying to label you as a guesser. I was laying a blanket statement that you should all ask your ROTC and after that your NSI staff. Because we are transitioning NWU it's an awkward time to guess.

One uniform you should all have....PTU, and multiple sets. That was uniform of the day for the first 3 weeks. After that it was all khakis. Bring shirt stays! Haha