• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY15 STA-21 Applicants

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
This wait is killing me! What's worse is the E6 exam is this Thursday which will be another result that I have to worry about. I'm glad a forum like this was created. The lessons learned from past participants have aided me in the production of my package. Anyways, below are my stats. Good luck to everyone.

YN2(SW/AW)
First application
Applying: Core
TIS: 4 YRS
BS in Business Management; 3.67 GPA
(2 classes away from AAS (67 credits) and completed Calc 1)
ACT: 21 English; 23 Math
Evals (Old to new): EP, EP, EP, EP, NOB, EP
Awards: 1 NAM, 1 MOVSM, 1 FLOC, 1 GCM, SOQ
Internal Board: Chair O6 (HRO), Members O6 (NFO), O5 (SWO), O5 (SWO) (perfect scores)
External Board: Chair O6 (SWO), O5 (SWO), o4 (SWO) (perfect scores)
LOR: VADM (SWO), BG (INF), CAPT (NFO, last CO), CAPT (SEAL), CMC
PFA: Outstanding, Outstanding, Outstanding
Prior Leadership: Prior JEA and CSADD president for over 600 junior Sailors and Marines

Those are some bad ass stats YN2!!! Good luck with your application!!!

RJdeepsea

Hey everyone. I checked out this forum enough while I was putting my application together. I figure it's finally time to speak up.

ND2 (DSW/SW/EXW)
First application
SNA/CORE
TIS: 3 1/2 years
9credit hours through NCPACE
ACT: 36 English, 32 Math
Evals (Old to New): NOB, NOB, MP, EP (#1), P
Awards: 1 COM, 1 GCM
Internal: 04 (EOD), 04 (EOD), 03 (EOD). All 10's.
External: 06 (SWO), 05 (Aviator), 05 (Aviator), 04 (SWO), 04 (Aviator)
LOR: 4-star (PACFLT), 03 (EOD)
PFA: All outstanding
Misc: Diving supervisor designation letters, LOA (06-SUPSALV), LOA (volunteer stuff)

Good luck to everybody. Can't stand this wait.

James_j7

FY15 STA-21 CORE Applicant
It has been a quite forum this year which could indicate less applicants. However, with these great stats being posted, the standards for packages now are blowing by previous standards through the roof. Stats like these makes it incredibly difficult for the board to choose canidates im sure. Yet i received an email stating the following below:

The board was held and completed on 9/12/14. Selection NAVADMIN should be published by mid- October.

It seems the board convined much earlier then usual for such a competitive season. wonder if the NAVADMIN will be posted earlier as well.

James_j7

Someone on facebook posted that the Application Status Tab is closing for certain people while others are remaining open. This happened a few times in previous forums and alot of people were selected in various FY who status' were available for them at the release of the selection result (not for everyone but a great deal were picked up). Curious to know what others have to say about this.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Someone on facebook posted that the Application Status Tab is closing for certain people while others are remaining open. This happened a few times in previous forums and alot of people were selected in various FY who status' were available for them at the release of the selection result (not for everyone but a great deal were picked up). Curious to know what others have to say about this.

James,

Mine still shows all of my documents. What does yours look like? I know I'm not being selected so surely this isn't a precursor. They only take one CEC per year and PR1 Chan (Alternate FY-14) has reapplied. Anyone showing 0's in their application status?

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
James,

Mine still shows all of my documents. What does yours look like? I know I'm not being selected so surely this isn't a precursor. They only take one CEC per year and PR1 Chan (Alternate FY-14) has reapplied. Anyone showing 0's in their application status?

Don't assume that you will not be selected because the alternate is re-applying. I was the only SWO(IP) alternate in FY-13 and made som very dramatic improvements for my FY-14 application and was selected as an alternate AGAIN!! I got beat out by a guy who wasn't on the list the previous year.

James_j7

James,

Mine still shows all of my documents. and i agree with A_longo, there is no guarantee that ALT get selected. Every board member selection cycle is different and starts application reviews with a new perspective. Based off previous Precepts, board members are automatically going to select those who have shown the highest traits in Academic Potential and Leadership Potential. ALT may give a small fraction of an edge over competing applicants who are clearly close, but are not predetermined winners. And to add some rest to your concern, 2 quotas last year from SWO/ED were eliminated. They are still projecting 50 selectees so those two quotas can end up anywhere on the list (except Nuke. Rumor has it that it is still 35 :( )

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Guys....this guy is a monster. Speaks 4 languages, finished his associates, and is done with Calc 3....if he doesn't get selected then the Navy has got some major flaws. I not only expect this sailor to be selected. I WANT him to be selected. He is the best fit for this quota (barring anyone who speaks 5 languages and is more beast mode than he is... haha).

This package was about putting my name on the board. It was a trial. I do not expect to be selected, although it would be nice. I think this website serves as a good measuring stick for sailors to gauge where they stand from an academic and professional standpoint. All of the additional resources we provide are wonderful, but everything is found in the Fleet Briefs. They FLAT-OUT tell you what they are looking for. So if you're on here looking for gouge please reference that great piece of literature first. https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/fleet_brief.asp

If anyone would like to know the academic achievements of a prior selectee, shoot me a PM and I'll break down their stats. I have access to EVERYONE's training records. I can give you a good idea of where they were when they got selected.

Good luck to everyone! I hope to read some familiar names from this forum. Semper Fortis!

James_j7

Prior to me applying towards STA-21, I had a friend place his package in back in FY10 (when the Quotas were higher). The sailor had all EP’s, 2 LORs from a 3 Star and 1 star, All outstanding on Interviews, and was the commands JSOY. If that doesn’t scream pick me up in 2009, I don’t know what does. When the results came out, he wasn’t selected. So he eventually completed his degree and was picked up via OCS two years later. Seeing something like that made me hold back on my application into the program (which I do regret) until recently. It wasn’t until I started to read through these forums and talk to others who were picked up that I got the idea that every board is different. If you look at the Fleet brief, it is exactly the same from FY12-FY14. The only changes are the stats. Even the SAT average is 1200 all the way up to the FY09 fleet hot wash. Just like any other selection board in the navy, some boards may measure stats, some may look harder into whole person concept, and some sort through other methods to find the right officer to welcome into their mess/wardroom.
Don’t lose hope bro, unless all you really wanted was to give face to the board and nothing more – and that’s cool too. I would really like to see everyone of us make it because just to submitting a package is already a proven means for acceptance as we all can attest.
BTW: I do believe your counterpart has some awesome stats though BZ!

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
All you can do it try man. I think they reject a lot of sailors because they may be "too close" to completion. I think they want to know they're getting what they select you for. One of the accession officers is my mentor and he assured me that more is not always better. He told me to put my effort into conveying a message through my personal statement. I spent two weeks straight on it. There are so many variables to this board we can not even begin to predict what they select based upon. What we can do, is notice patterns and attempt to recreate those in chance of getting selected. Putting this package together was a learning experience. The cut off for CEC is 42 years old. I'm 25. I WILL be selected. I am in no hurry...you can't complete an Electrical Engineering degree at sea or on shore duty. Something has to give! I have not lost hope. I am just a realist. I wish all of us the best for this year and next year. May we make the list!

exNavyOffRec

The cut off for CEC is 42 years old. I'm 25. I WILL be selected. I am in no hurry...you can't complete an Electrical Engineering degree at sea or on shore duty. Something has to give! I have not lost hope. I am just a realist. I wish all of us the best for this year and next year. May we make the list!

I don't know if they haven't adjusted the brief yet but CEC has a max age of 35 now per the community manager, waivers are possible on a case by case basis, but for CEC they often don't do waivers.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Sounds like I've got ten years then...plenty of time. What are my chances of getting out and being selected for commission once I finish my degree?

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Sounds like I've got ten years then...plenty of time. What are my chances of getting out and being selected for commission once I finish my degree?
No one can tell you the chances you have, especially if you haven't even finished your degree. As many wise men have said on this site before, the chances are zero if you don't apply. That said, you are already applying and so your chances are greater than zero.

As a CEC officer myself (on the reserve side) I will say that we are one of the smaller communities in the Navy. A quick count on the Naval Register showed that there are less than 2500 CEC officers. Period. That includes AD and SELRES. To give you a bit of perspective on this, on AD alone, there are more than 2500 URL O1s alone. We are a small community where everyone gets to at least know of just about everyone else. To make matters worse, with the gutting of the Seabees there are less billets available for CEC officers. Yes, NAVFAC and PW billets haven't drastically changed, but it is getting more competitive.

exNavyOffRec

No one can tell you the chances you have, especially if you haven't even finished your degree. As many wise men have said on this site before, the chances are zero if you don't apply. That said, you are already applying and so your chances are greater than zero.

As a CEC officer myself (on the reserve side) I will say that we are one of the smaller communities in the Navy. A quick count on the Naval Register showed that there are less than 2500 CEC officers. Period. That includes AD and SELRES. To give you a bit of perspective on this, on AD alone, there are more than 2500 URL O1s alone. We are a small community where everyone gets to at least know of just about everyone else. To make matters worse, with the gutting of the Seabees there are less billets available for CEC officers. Yes, NAVFAC and PW billets haven't drastically changed, but it is getting more competitive.

well said.

to the OP what she has said might have you consider other designators.