• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 IDC DCO Boards

cwicker2

Thumbs down for me too (second time). I will have to talk to the wife and kids ... but I will likely give it another try in March.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
Greetings all,

Unfortunately, the U.S. Navy (via NRD Chicago) has given me a final 'heave ho', and scuttled any future attempts at commissioning after seven attempts. Four, actually, if you don't count the two times I never got a 'look' because my recruiter never submitted my package or submitted it late and (yes) lied about it (and got pissed when I discovered via Millington that's what he'd done); or the one time it was returned by the board because it was summarily ruled [in error] that I had exceeded some perceived age limit (I was ultimately found by CNRC to remain eligible for commissioning, but was still never selected.)

So - after having just given Navy Recruiting the last six (6) years of my life, I'm given no choice but to give up. That's actually a full enlistment. And yet, quitting just feels like quitting. Intellectually, I know I'm not, but that doesn't change how I feel. On the path to achieving a commission: I lost the weight, waived the pension, improved my professional standing in a field that the Navy is critically undermanned in (IP/IW), increased my security clearance, and survived withering interviews with senior officers and Admirals, coming away with recommendations that any candidate would probably kill for (figuratively speaking).

And yet, I am led to believe that I failed because I waited too long to make this last run at it. But even with my prior service time, plus the six I just put in, and the ten years I had left, I could have made nineteen years, and probably could have coasted to twenty (which is some folks big line in the sand - If you can't 'make 20', you don't stand a chance). While I can't complain too much about the folks at Navy Recruiting Command (NRC) since some literally stuck their necks out for me, apparently, nobody at Navy Recruiting Districts Chicago (or Richmond) were willing or able to 'do the math'.

And on a singular note - I was truly unimpressed with NRD Chicago's OPO (Officer Program Officer), LT Carly Meyer as she opined (while telling me that this cruise was over) that it was obvious to her that I had 'very important friends'. I can only presume she was referring to the five (5) Admirals, and countless Captains, Commanders and others who threw their significant support my way; Apparently, I was somehow not worthy of that support, but it was more likely that we were all probably golfing buddies or drinking buddies, or I was just some contractor they were greasing the skids for (not that she had the courage to say so). Frankly, I couldn't possibly have worked with all these people in the time I've been a defense contractor, and my prior service was Air Force. I guess that hadn't occurred to the LT.

This was one of my longest standing personal goals, dating back to my days as an enlisted airman. Subsequently, it is a disappointment of equal proportion. Quite recently, a Navy JAG from HQ, who I met while working at the Pentagon, has told me flat out that I've ample evidence to PROVE age bias on the part of the Navy Recruiting. So sure, I could go to the Navy Inspector General or request a Congressional investigation, make a stink, and maybe land a commission. Many have simply said if the goal was to get a commission, why does it matter how I land it? All true, I suppose. But honestly, those wouldn't be the bars I set out to earn. And in doing that, I'd be viewed a 'spoiler', probably with the shortest military career on record.

Still, I owe much thanks to the following individuals for their support and unwavering advocacy to my accession efforts:

VADM David G. Simpson, Vice-director, DISA
VADM Dirk J. Debbink, Chief of Naval Reserves (CNR) for Chief of Naval Operations (CNO)
RADM Hank Bond, J6 Director, Cyberspace Ops at North American Aerospace Defense Command & NORTHCOM
RADM Robin Graf (Ret.), Deputy Commander, Navy Recruiting Command
RADM Carlton 'Bud' Jewett (Ret.), Principal, Booz Allen Hamilton
CAPT Robert Carey, Deputy DoD CIO, Office of the Secretary of Defense
CAPT Reece Morgan, Director of Defense-wide Information Assurance Program, DoD CIO, Office of the Secretary of Defense
CAPT Joel Rothschild (Ret.), Director, Communications and Information Systems, NR C3F Joint Forces Maritime Component Commander
CAPT Joseph B. Spegele, J6 Deputy Director of Intelligence for North American Aerospace Defense Command & NORTHCOM (now N6 , 5th Fleet)
CAPT Norberto Nobrega, Chief of Staff, NRC HQ N-zero-zero
CDR Robert Sullivan (Ret.), Executive Officer (XO), Great Lakes Naval Station
CDR Mark Oldfield, Naval Network Warfare Command NETOPS Special Projects
CDR Sean Heritage, United States Cyber Command
CDR Darrell Nealy, Deputy Chief Information Officer, 3rd Fleet C4I
CDR Julie A. Schroeder, BUPERS-315, Community Manager
LCDR Colby Morgan, CNRC N3, Director, General Officer Accessions

'Fair winds and following seas' to current selectees, and future aspirants.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. I thought you would have made it by now.
This is part of the reason why I am enlisting. Stopping the "clock" as well as just wanting to serve.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
Jason,

Honestly, going back into the enlisted ranks as a E-3/4 at my age would have been even worse (for me) than becoming a junior officer at my age. But thank you for the sentiment. Good luck!

-- John

I understand, thankfully I get to keep E5 and just have to keep applying while already in. If I dont get in via the DC route, then I will have other programs open to me as well.

navgovie

IW Officer
Jason,

Honestly, going back into the enlisted ranks as a E-3/4 at my age would have been even worse (for me) than becoming a junior officer at my age. But thank you for the sentiment. Good luck!

-- John

John,

That is very disheartening to hear. I've been on this board for a while, and shortly after my first non-select and was thinking of calling it quits until I ran into your post in the "Advice for DCO nonselects" thread. Your posts caught my eye as we have a similar background. As I read them and realized you were on your third (or possibly 4th!) attempt to get through the board I realized how foolish I was to consider giving up so early, and how truly competitive this selection process is. It gave me the perspective to know you have to be in this for the long haul, and to keep trying no matter the result.

Ultimately I was able to make it past the boarding process and commissioned in February of 2012, thanks in no small part to your postings, and the postings of others on this forum. I know it's not much of a consolation, but your posts did help me out, and likely others as well.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors, whatever they may be.

Very Respectfully,

NG

P.S. This is likely a very long shot, but (assuming it is possible) have you tried submitting a package through another nearby NRD, and not NRD Chicago? I've heard that certain NRD's are more "cooperative" then others...just a thought!

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
NG,

Regrettably, I have. NRD Richmond was not much better. In fact, the DIRCOM screener for NRD Richmond I spoke with literally spent an hour on the phone trying to talk me out of even applying, largely because of my age, even trying to get me to consider a commission as an officer in the 'Sea Cadets' as an equally gratifying substitute. Seriously.

The reason I stuck it out with NRD Chicago was because NRD Richmond (closest to where I am presently) processes far more IDC candidates than Chicago does (NRD Chicago's mission is largely medical, not tech). Richmond's DIRCOM screened informed me that no matter how good you are, only the strongest percentage get advanced to Millington (to preserve *their* select rates). Also, I suspect candidates out of the National Capital Region (NCR) tend to look more alike than unalike (defense contractors or GS folks, most already with clearances, reducing those attributes which would easily set you apart elsewhere). So, it made more sense to go with Chicago, since there was a better chance of actually getting past a DIRCOM board there (fewer candidates, higher advance rate), and that was the goal since once you're past the DIRCOM board and your package is at Millington, all candidates go back to being 'on the same (level?) playing field', supposedly. But you have to get there, first (survival). In fact, I believe that decision was the only way in which I ever tried to 'play the game' to my advantage (unless you consider pursuing/obtaining interviews with O7s and O8s gaming the system). And even that didn't work.

I was told I'd be receiving a 'Field Rejection Letter' from the OPO at NRD Chicago. What I got was the standard 'We regret to inform you...' letter based upon my spring application (#7). When I responded, the OPO's XO informed me that the intention was the same. That being said, I could probably take a run at the spring board, since I'm still only 52 (now/then). But I would be forced to go to NRD Richmond to process, and with the budgetary carnival in Congress and the force draw down in our various theatres of action (Syria not withstanding), the odds get longer and longer. Regrettably, after seven passes, the Navy has made it abundantly clear they're not interested in me, no matter what my creds are or who endorses me. Time to put the 'Navy Wife' challenge coin I bought for her after the second round, in the trash. I was going to use it to tell her when I was selected.

Ultimately, I am incredibly pleased and honored that my earlier posts encouraged anyone to tough it out and get selected. I hope that you have an incredible experience as a Naval officer.

Be well, stay safe.

Reactions: RJS

exNavyOffRec

Richmond's DIRCOM screened informed me that no matter how good you are, only the strongest percentage get advanced to Millington (to preserve *their* select rates).

Also, I suspect candidates out of the National Capital Region (NCR) tend to look more alike than unalike (defense contractors or GS folks, most already with clearances, reducing those attributes which would easily set you apart elsewhere).

I was told I'd be receiving a 'Field Rejection Letter' from the OPO at NRD Chicago.

This is a very grey area they are in, it sounds as if they are doing field rejection letters and while that is fine those are generally reserved for people that just meet minimums and have nothing else to make them stand out, many NRD's don't want to use those because of the past scrutiny (congressional inquires).

yes, NRD Richmond in the past has had a high percent of selects for not only reserve IDC but active IDC as well.

This means you were never sent to board

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
This is a very grey area they are in, it sounds as if they are doing field rejection letters and while that is fine those are generally reserved for people that just meet minimums and have nothing else to make them stand out, many NRD's don't want to use those because of the past scrutiny (congressional inquires).

yes, NRD Richmond in the past has had a high percent of selects for not only reserve IDC but active IDC as well.

This means you were never sent to board

NavyOffRec,

Understood. After receiving your post, I went back and checked. The letter I received was not the standard 'non-select' letter from Millington (which I presumed was from my Spring board application) on NRC letterhead, but it contained the exact same language. In fact, it did not come from Millington, it did come from NRD Chicago and was signed by the XO, CDR Nancy Fink. In hindsight, having not received one from the spring board, I suspect you may be correct that I was never submitted in the spring either.

When my recruiter stopped responding in June, I reached out to the Midwest Regional IDC OIC's office myself, and was able to get on the calendar for a DIRCOM board. However, when I finally was able to get my recruiter back on the phone before the DIRCOM board date, he informed me that I would not be being submitted to the fall board, and that he was *under instructions* not to discuss it with me and directed me to NRD Chicago's OPO. That was when I was verbally informed by the OPO that I was not going to be submitted for the fall board based upon NRD Chicago's assessment that I was just never going to get selected (of course, it's a little difficult to get selected if the NRD doesn't submit you). The OPO also said she'd gone to CNRC to get permission to issue me a FRJ based upon the presence of an age waiver (which does exist) and a medical waiver (which DOES NOT EXIST).

Background: As you know, NavyOffRec, I did have a mild heart attack just in advance of the Sept '12 board. Gee, I wonder why? I'd been doing the Navy PRT *6 days a week* for the preceding four years (when active/reserve only do it twice a year, officially). N3M (Navy Medical - Millington) has stated that my condition is not a show stopper if I'm in spec and can pass the PRT now (which I have done multiple times since completing my cardio rehab last year). But my recruiter has repeatedly avoided submitting me and my records to MEPS for eval, claiming I can do that after I am selected. So I have NEVER been deemed NPQ, nor issued any medical waiver.​

So - When a month passed and I never received anything, I pinged the OPO. A few days later was when I received this 'non-select' letter from NRD Chicago. When I questioned the XO on this, that was when I was informed that this letter was the FRJ.

I know I wasn't submitted to the Sept. board because I was told I would not be. It would not surprise me if I had not been submitted to the Spring board either. I could call Millington to find out, but there hardly seems a point to it. No? Even if I could prove they'd lied (yet, again), NRC's IG has already demonstrated that they won't act on it since they didn't the last time this kind of behavior was reported supported by 3+ months of hard, navy.mil sourced e-mail evidence.

Last edited:

lost_in_asia

Would anyone else who was selected at the Sept board care to share where they are in the process of commissioning? I'm still waiting on my physical results.

IntelNinja

I get to make up my own? Hmm...
I had been physically qualified prior to the Sept. Board and hold a current clearance, so after selection, I signed and sent back my "Ready Reserve Transfer Request Service Agreement" (NAVPERS 1200/1) for my assignment to the ONI unit out here and was placed on the next scroll to go to SECDEF, which coincided with the Gov't Shutdown and subsequent recent NCMI email outage.

I'm just waiting to hear when the scroll comes back and the FINSEL can be sent and COMDOCS drafted up.

So, my status: on scroll, not yet received back.
Still to do: FINSEL, COMDOCS, Oath of Office, INDOC.

uabmedic

My recruiter haphazardly mentioned last week that the next Intel/IW board was in May '13. Everything else I have seen and read has indicated March. I know they normally do them in March and September; however, I read on another forum that the government shutdown has affected some board schedules. Can anyone definitively confirm the next board date(s)?

-JS