• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY12 STA-21 Applicants

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
Anyone know of people that have been selected with a Promotable Eval? My command lost more than half our e-5's this last year and the navadmin message kinda screwed me, aside from my own personal hiccup. My eval expressly states this as per my XO and clearly states I have my DH highest recommendation for STA-21 in the write up. Another thing that is killing me right now is that since March we have busted down 4 of the 7 EP e-5's.

I was having a conversation last night with a fellow Ensigns last night along the lines of our selection to STA-21, and he was saying that most of us that got picked up STA 21 had a few of things in common:

1.) The interview boards (in-command and out-command) gave us high marks on the interview sheets.

2.) Letters of recommendation were solid.

3.) Personal statements were well written.

pilot_hopeful20

I was having a conversation last night with a fellow Ensigns last night along the lines of our selection to STA-21, and he was saying that most of us that got picked up STA 21 had a few of things in common:

1.) The interview boards (in-command and out-command) gave us high marks on the interview sheets.

2.) Letters of recommendation were solid.

3.) Personal statements were well written.

What about college?? i feel i have a good shot at it but i have only one class through NCPACE.

PRICE311USN

(NAC/AW)
Haven't been on in a while. Good to see the conversations keeping steady. T-15 days ladies and gents until postmark! Anybody wanna start a calendar pool on the results date. I will put 100 (pennies) in the pot for the the Navy's Birthday.

-CP

ktm412

From Last year's debrief powerpoint, any LOR's from civilians, enlisted personnel, and politicians weren't worth submitting. They want LOR's from O's that physically see you work on a regular basis, get someone with a star or two and you are golden provided the rest of your package is strong. My biggest recommendation is that you get a special prt done for your package, you want to have at least an excellent in your package and STA-21 can be a good motivator to push you over that threshold.

Not neccessarily golden with LOR from stars. Last year I had LORs from two RDML and my packaged was endorsed by my CO who is a 4 star ADM. I was an alternate. I have the same thing going into this year plus alot more college credit. Fingers crossed I get it this year!

ktm412

Second time applying...my package:

IT2(NAC/AW)
Alternate FY11 for IW option
TIS: 8yrs 11 months
Evals: EP, MP, MP, EP, EP
ACT: 24 Composite
School: 87 credits 3.9 GPA
PRT: Outstanding low, Outstanding Low, Medically waved
Awards: 3 Air Medals, 2 JSAM, FLOC
LORs: 2 RDML, 1 Army COL, 1 CDR
Other Documents: Acceptance letters to University of Arizona and Ohio State University, Security + Certified
CO Endorsement: Package endorsed by 4 star Admiral

What do yall think?

mcaaron222

AE1 Pilot applicant here,
What happens between selection and NSI and what not? I've scoured for a decent timeline and I haven't found anything to explain the gap. The reason I ask is because I have orders, and will be in a "C" school when the results come out. From my interpetation of the .1B, the captain can only hold me in abeyance if the date of orders are on or AFTER my application submission, so I HAVE to transfer from my current command. If selected, I don't know if I will continue to check in to my ultimate activity, or if they'll hold me at the schoolhouse until things materialize.. Thoughts?

ktm412

AE1 Pilot applicant here,
What happens between selection and NSI and what not? I've scoured for a decent timeline and I haven't found anything to explain the gap. The reason I ask is because I have orders, and will be in a "C" school when the results come out. From my interpetation of the .1B, the captain can only hold me in abeyance if the date of orders are on or AFTER my application submission, so I HAVE to transfer from my current command. If selected, I don't know if I will continue to check in to my ultimate activity, or if they'll hold me at the schoolhouse until things materialize.. Thoughts?

I'm in the same situation and am curious as well. I will PCS in September and report to C school in late October.

bigbazukabob

You guys have an awesome forum here for commissioning programs. Best I've found in the business... My background followed by my question:

Background: I am putting in my first STA-21 package for FY12. I have 7 years in AD as an E-6 in the submarining community. I am 25 turning 26 in July this year. I am applying to CORE primary with no alternates. My personal statement has expressed that I intend to strive for Nuclear Submarine or Pilot communities in my senior year of school. I have 67 college credit hours done towards by BS.

Question: With those numbers, or in general, I expect I'll need a waiver to complete by 29 for Pilot. As it stands right now, I don't need a waiver as I'm 25/26 to the board. I was not anticipating my waiver submittal with my initial package. I should be able to submit this waiver if and when selected for STA-21. Is this a bad assumption?

QUESTION SPECIFICALLY: Do I need to submit an age waiver with the package based on my anticipated grad date or can I submit one when I'm turning 27?

I have searched for this answer everywhere. STA-21 Instructions are fuzzy. Forums don't hit the nail on the head. Please help...​

bigbazukabob

Let me clarify this: My Chain of Command is confused on this - I should be able to submit my Age Waiver if and when I need it, while I'm in school and therefore do NOT need to submit it with the STA-21 Package.

If I do need a waiver,the next question is where is that form? The actual Waiver itself.

OC/EMC

Let me clarify this: My Chain of Command is confused on this - I should be able to submit my Age Waiver if and when I need it, while I'm in school and therefore do NOT need to submit it with the STA-21 Package.

If I do need a waiver,the next question is where is that form? The actual Waiver itself.

My understanding: Since you currently do not need an age waiver for Core, regardless of what community you hope to enter, then one need not be submitted. You are applying for the core option. That is all that matters for your STA-21 application. Let your ROTC help you with any age waivers once you are in the program. Heck, you may end up going NFO or CEC and the age waiver will be pointless at that point.

bigbazukabob

I agree with you 100% OC/EMC... It's trying to prove that to my Chain of Command as I don't have that in writing. My CO is happy to sign this but won't until I prove him I don't need a waiver. Documentation on this stinks!

TheCzar

FY13 Pilot Applicant (2nd time)
New to the forum but have been reading them for a while now. Just completed my external board today. In the mail we go!!!

haubby

None
Contributor
Waivers are automatic provided you can graduate by the specified age. Just put a little blurb in your command endorsement stating that you will require one and you're golden.