• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I know I am just the "wife" but this thread is thoroughly entertaining and does make the waiting less awful.

Airman V- If selected my husband will go to ODU. Can you tell me more to pass along to him? How much is the NROTC committment? Did you have to pay a lot out if pocket for books/tuition, etc? WHat do you like about ODU? I really appreciate it!!!

Tuition here is $236/credit hour (maybe more). 18 hours is about $4400. The Navy gives you $4000 for Fall, $4000 for Spring, and $2000 for Summer. After tuition, if you have anything left, you get a refund for books (with receipts of course). If you have anything left after books, you can apply it towards the next semester (except for the end of the FY, what you don't use you lose).

Some people make money, most lose a little. I pay around $500/semester out of pocket, but I'm an engineering major with expensive books and 18 hours/semester.

ODU is nice...big unit as stated above. We are required to attend a set number of "volunteer" events throughout each semester due to the size of the unit and the location (Navy Norfolk you know?) PT three times a week plus Drill on Thursdays = 1 day a week you don't have to get up at 5am.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
By the way, find all the free money you can while you are here. FAFSA is a good start, plus there are tons of scholarships you can apply for.

loweryab

So 302/09 is also taken up by something OTHER than STA-21 results. I'm feeling pretty good about 304/09. Yeah, that sounds good. :)

BOaB

So 302/09 is also taken up by something OTHER than STA-21 results. I'm feeling pretty good about 304/09. Yeah, that sounds good. :)

Reverse psychology? I like it.

By totally jynxing 304, you've opened up the door for 303.

Unless of course, I just ruined it...

JOGENA

SO WHAT DAY ARE YOU GUYS GUESSING THE RESULTS ARE GOING TO COME OUT? MY HUSBAND IS GOING CRAZY THINKING ABOUT IT!!!!!!:confused:

jwac85

FY-11 STA-21 Pilot Applicant
you guys and gals haven't been paying attention have you?

*I heard from an extremely reliable source that they canexed STA-21 this year to provide funding to reupholster all of the Admirals' offices with astroturf and a putting green*

CoKoBean

I pay around $500/semester out of pocket, but I'm an engineering major with expensive books and 18 hours/semester.
!!! My husband wants so badly to do Engineering, but thought it might not be feasible on a 3-year plan. Some schools, like the Citadel, have a specific 3-year Engineering track for STA-21 students. He just finished his Associate's. How were you able to do Engineering? Is it pretty easy to get all the classes you need in 3 years? Sometimes with very specific engineering degree plans, they will only offer one class every Fall (per say), so it is almost impossible to get your degree faster than a basic pre-planned out 4 year.

Advice? :confused:

smith1787

Future SNFO
*I heard from an extremely reliable source that they canexed STA-21 this year to provide funding to reupholster all of the Admirals' offices with astroturf and a putting green*

*i hope i at least get to practice my putting stroke for this ruining of my life and career*

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I pay around $500/semester out of pocket, but I'm an engineering major with expensive books and 18 hours/semester.
!!! My husband wants so badly to do Engineering, but thought it might not be feasible on a 3-year plan. Some schools, like the Citadel, have a specific 3-year Engineering track for STA-21 students. He just finished his Associate's. How were you able to do Engineering? Is it pretty easy to get all the classes you need in 3 years? Sometimes with very specific engineering degree plans, they will only offer one class every Fall (per say), so it is almost impossible to get your degree faster than a basic pre-planned out 4 year.

Advice? :confused:

I had zero college when I got picked up and I am doing it in three years. Things that helped me were:

1) Be prepared to take Calculus your first semester.
2) The Naval Science classes at NSI count towards a minor in Military Leadership. The only things you have to take at ODU are NS 401/402 and one more class of your choosing.
3) There are some classes offered during the summer, your advisor can help you with that.
4) No less than 18 hours a semester. Tough, but doable. I am married with one kid and still pull off a 3.3ish GPA.

Remember, traditional students usually do two semesters a year (Fall/Spring). Each is about 4 1/2 months, so 9 months a year total. Multiply that by 4 and it gives you 36 months. We aren't at that big of a disadvantage, we just have to go during the summer. It's a good time to knock out your Gen Ed stuff.

BOaB

I thought about it, but to what end? I don't really want to get my hopes up like I did for the 20th. It's pretty obvious that those guys aren't really in the loop at this stage in the game.

If we're waiting for a couple of Adms to get around to it, well, we'll know when they decide to get around to it....

smith1787

Future SNFO
what the phone call that says "hey are results coming out? no next month, *ok i'll continue ruining the f5 button thank you!*"

or the phone call that says "what do you mean they came out the 20th????????"