• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Yup. She's still moored to Kollmeyer street, with the LSD 22 moored to stbd and the other vessel (which I can't think of off the top of my head) moored to port.

I had one of the late watches at King Hall one night and I decided to go check the steam gauges in the basement. I turned off my flashlight and made my way back in the dark. It creeped me the fvck out but I wasn't bored for a while. :)

BrickNole

pilot
With regards to the cover sheet....

In between subj: and encl: is a Ref: section. i put the 1420.1 obviousy for ref. (a) but i can't find the NAVADMIN number. the sample cover letter says (b) NAVADMIN XXX/XX. where do i find the applicable NAVADMIN? trying to cross all my T's and dot my I's before sending it up. -Chris

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor

In between subj: and encl: is a Ref: section. i put the 1420.1 obviousy for ref. (a) but i can't find the NAVADMIN number. the sample cover letter says (b) NAVADMIN XXX/XX. where do i find the applicable NAVADMIN? trying to cross all my T's and dot my I's before sending it up. -Chris

Find the one that has to do with the year you are applying for.

http://www.npc.navy.mil/ReferenceLibrary/Messages/

FY09_hopeful

FIRST-TIME in '09

Hello all & thanks to the mods/developers who created this blog site!

AT3(AW) here, I'm a first-time applicant, but keen on the 'ins & outs' of STA-21. I took the SATs at NAVSTA NORFOLK's Navy College Office in February and got a 1330 (Math:680 Reading:650).
I've got a good deal of college credit because I've used T.A. to it's full potential while serving as a blue shirt. I also passed 3 CLEPS.
I've completed both of my boards (within the command and external). Got all 10s for marks. I really feel confident about my package.
These are my LOR's: 1 O-7, 1 O-6 (my C.O), 1 O-5 (my XO), 1 O-4 (asst. dept. head), 1 O-3 (former divo), 1 CWO4, and 1 CMC. That's a grand total of seven, but I may elect to omit one because I feel it's weak. This may sound crazy, but it's no lie: I met an Admiral at the Commissary and he agreed to endorse my package!! I've met with him at his office once, but tomorrow afternoon is our final interview.
Everyone is being really helpful, the ESO is completely onboard with me and the CCC is invaluable, but always keep in mind that, in the end, it's YOUR PACKAGE. I'm curious to hear from all of you with experience. What are my chances of first-year selection.

Feel free to email/call the STA-21 p.o.c. found on the website PNSC_STA21@navy.mil / (850) 452-9563
He's a civillian named Mike Parose and he informed me that the NAVADMIN will be out shortly. check for NAVADMINs at http://www.npc.navy.mil/ReferenceLibrary/Messages/

FMRAM

AT3(AW) here, I'm a first-time applicant, but keen on the 'ins & outs' of STA-21. I took the SATs at NAVSTA NORFOLK's Navy College Office in February and got a 1330 (Math:680 Reading:650).
I've got a good deal of college credit because I've used T.A. to it's full potential while serving as a blue shirt. I also passed 3 CLEPS.
I've completed both of my boards (within the command and external). Got all 10s for marks. I really feel confident about my package.
These are my LOR's: 1 O-7, 1 O-6 (my C.O), 1 O-5 (my XO), 1 O-4 (asst. dept. head), 1 O-3 (former divo), 1 CWO4, and 1 CMC. That's a grand total of seven, but I may elect to omit one because I feel it's weak. This may sound crazy, but it's no lie: I met an Admiral at the Commissary and he agreed to endorse my package!! I've met with him at his office once, but tomorrow afternoon is our final interview.
Everyone is being really helpful, the ESO is completely onboard with me and the CCC is invaluable, but always keep in mind that, in the end, it's YOUR PACKAGE. I'm curious to hear from all of you with experience. What are my chances of first-year selection.

[/URL][/COLOR]

I'd say your chances are pretty good. Keep strokin.

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
Hi All,

I was selected last year for FY08 Pilot option and I'm about to finish up here in Newport this week. I was breezing over some of the stuff and I wanted to add a suggestion for consideration to enhanse your package, and something that I'm not seeing a lot of nods towards. I wanted to add something, an element that I think some of you are forgetting about, or not considering which is a reason that I strongly feel helped me get selected last year.

I will suggest this to all this year's applicant. Think about the whole "Well Rounded Sailor" mentality. You can be “shit-hot” and the Sailor of the year, but what have you contributed back to the community? Think about this for a second.

Think about doing some community service. I'll be honest, while I have great evals and work ethics, I was never Sailor of the year, and without regarding all the “Baby Nukes” up here that have literally been in a year and a half, although about 1/2 of the others who are here now either are or have been Sailor of the year. I got selected w/o having a single EP eval (but always had low 4's) , Junior Sailor of the Quarter, and an Aircrewman of the Year from 2003. Not overly impressive, but certainly commendable. This is where my volunteer time made me shine... I think my college and Instrument flying rating helped too, but I've digressed.

The board likes the “well rounded sailor” type. Someone who will continue to give back once commissioned. You still have a few months to get in some volunteer time, and a LOA or something recognizable from a company can go a long way.

I'll also say this but it goes without saying. Put EVERY QUAL you have in the package. While it might be something as mundane as a Break Rider Qual or whatever; put it in. Yes, It's fluff, but it's good fluff. If they don't need it, they can deal with it.

This is all just my suggestions, but I feel that it turned the tide for my package. Good luck to you all and I hope you all report to NSI next February! Just watch out for all the goose shit everywhere up here, It's pretty nasty!

STA21pilot

AT3(AW) here, I'm a first-time applicant, ...[/URL][/COLOR]

Whoa... I remember when I started a thread with an eerily similar thread to your screen name...

In like... '03 (my thread was 'FY05 Hopeful')

BrickNole

pilot
wow 53 guy....that would be one large package if every qual was put into the package. think about it, plane captain, brake rider, wing walker, GSE, APU engine qual, CDI, powerplants, airframes-----that's alot of paper. some people prob have 15-20 quals. i would recommend choosing the biggest quals like plane captain or engine turn because they include most of the other quals and will not take up an entire 1/5th of the package.

on another subject, what's the deal with submitting a SNA physical with your package? the labs expire in 3 months. i'm gonna get the paperwok done while i'm getting my yearly flight physical but would the board even care if you put it in your package?

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
wow 53 guy....that would be one large package if every qual was put into the package. think about it, plane captain, brake rider, wing walker, GSE, APU engine qual, CDI, powerplants, airframes-----that's alot of paper. some people prob have 15-20 quals. i would recommend choosing the biggest quals like plane captain or engine turn because they include most of the other quals and will not take up an entire 1/5th of the package.

on another subject, what's the deal with submitting a SNA physical with your package? the labs expire in 3 months. i'm gonna get the paperwok done while i'm getting my yearly flight physical but would the board even care if you put it in your package?

For the Quals just make a copy of your Page 4 and have it stamped certified. It should list all of them, and if it doesn't, you need to update your service record.

FMRAM

The purpose of submitting the SNA physical along with the package is to make sure that you are eligible for commissioning in all respects. By the way, you will also get one after you get accepted and once again before you get commissioned. Is it mandatory these days? It used to be "highly encouraged", but it wasn't mandatory.

k_smittay

what's the deal with submitting a SNA physical with your package?

You don't submit your physical with your package. When you get selected you have to fax/mail the forms to Pensacola and they forward everything to BUMED and NOMI.

Note to all - ensure you get you SNA done before you apply if at all possible, you would be hating life to get accepted for STA-21 just to be rejected a couple months later for your physicals.

SkywardET

Contrarian
The instruction actually has a minor contradiction in it with regards to physical exams.
OPNAVINST 1420 said:
(3) Although no physical exam is to accompany the STA-21
application, commanding officers should determine from the
individual’s medical record and interview whether the applicant
appears to be physically qualified, as a preliminary screening.
Most common disqualifying conditions for URL include: defective
color vision, eyesight uncorrectable to 20/20, excessive refractive
error, or applicant is out of height/weight body fat standards.
Any color vision deficiency is disqualifying for a
commission in the URL, but is not disqualifying for selection to
the CEC, SC, Special Duty Officer (Intelligence, Cryptology), or
NC Options. Applicants considering Pilot or NFO as their
primary option are encouraged to complete a Student Naval
Aviator physical prior to application to ensure they are
physically qualified for aviation duty. Upon selection to the
STA-21 Program, Bureau of Medicine and Surgery (BUMED) physical
examination instructions will be sent to the selectees and
alternates.

OPNAVINST 1420 said:
c. Medical Standards. Applicants must complete and submit
results of a SNA flight physical examination with cycloplegic
eye refraction.

haubby

None
Contributor
I think there was on guy here on AW last year who got selected with us but was NPQ'd and lost his place in the program. Just get your physical done for SNFO/SNA prior to sending everything off.