• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
also keep in mind that what you put in your application has no bearing to what you do after you get selected. I said on my application I was going to complete a Nuclear Engineering degree I am now doing chemistry, and the college I am attending wasn't even on my top 5 or the one I said I would attend in my personal statement. This is an exciting time for you all applying this year. I would put the majority of your worry into getting college credit and LOR's.

BOCOD

The list of majors in the instruction is just an example of majors. You can get one that is not on the list. Read the instruction and it says you can get one in whatever you want. They do want you to go for a technical one though.

k_smittay

The list of majors in the instruction is just an example of majors. You can get one that is not on the list. Read the instruction and it says you can get one in whatever you want. They do want you to go for a technical one though.

They want you to go for whatever you can successfully complete and not waste time and money.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
They want you to go for whatever you can successfully complete and not waste time and money.

I guess finally the Navy does something that makes sense. I really never cared about what type of degree I got as long as it applies to my goals and can be used in the civilian world someday even though I don’t plan to get out of the Navy. After trying to give my CO some BS about trying to change my major to some Engineering degree he told me that it wasn’t needed to fly aircraft. Anyways just some random BS for what ever reason.

SuccessStory

FY08 STA-21 SNFO SELECT
If you are near NNPTC do NOT use their CCC. He is an idiot and doesnt know anything. They have an officer programs coordinator and he is a retard as well. He tried telling me that I didn't have to do everything the STA-21 instruction said because "we are a remote command so we don't have to do that." I asked where that was written down and he said it wasn't. I asked him to set me up with an interview with the pilots at the command, and he didn't even know we had pilots at the command. He wanted me to fill out the pages for the officer interviews. I basically told him he was not going to touch my package and that I would do it so it would be done corectly (I did get selected this year). So my advice is to remember that it is your package, not theirs. Stay involved and bug the CCC or whoever set up your interviews and other things.
Just wanted to clear up one little thing. What your CCC said did hold some truth. I too was selected this year and I didn't submit a second set of interviews due to being at a remote location. I was in Raleigh, NC recruiting and even had to borrow officers from the reserve center to even do my first board.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
Just wanted to inform all of you that LT David Boisselle is putting on a STA-21 Career day on the 20th and 22 of Feb in Norfolk and Oceana. I am not sure about this guy but he seems alright. If anyone’s interested please feel free to contact him:

david.boisselle@jfcom.mil
(757) 836-7935

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Just wanted to inform all of you that LT David Boisselle is putting on a STA-21 Career day on the 20th and 22 of Feb in Norfolk and Oceana. I am not sure about this guy but he seems alright. If anyone’s interested please feel free to contact him:

david.boisselle@jfcom.mil
(757) 836-7935

Thanks for the info, I emailed him to get the details. Hopefully I will be able get the day off and make the drive down to VA. I will let everybody know what he says: location, time, etc. I am sure this will be a very useful event for those of us working on a package.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
Thanks for the info, I emailed him to get the details. Hopefully I will be able get the day off and make the drive down to VA. I will let everybody know what he says: location, time, etc. I am sure this will be a very useful event for those of us working on a package.

I have heard bad things about that guy but who knows, it was only one person. I wont be able to make it to the event so I hope that one of you guys can make it and post the info on the site.

Thanks!

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
LT comes to a lot of commands every year and basically all he goes over is the slideshow found at the link I provided. Those of you that are very motivated and if you found this site you are, already know this stuff and have probaly went through on your countless hours on the STA site. Good Luck this year, and get your LORs, coursework, and interview prepping done.

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/FY-08_Fleet_Brief_files/frame.htm

BOCOD

Just wanted to clear up one little thing. What your CCC said did hold some truth. I too was selected this year and I didn't submit a second set of interviews due to being at a remote location. I was in Raleigh, NC recruiting and even had to borrow officers from the reserve center to even do my first board.

We are not at a remote command, that is why it pissed me off. There are many commands here on the base and in the area. He is just an idiot. If you ask anyone at the command they will say the same thing. Where is it written that says you don't have to follow the instruction? I couldn't find it, so I don't believe a word he says. He even said it wasn't written down.

Doc White

FY09 Pilot Selectee
LOR's

I had a question about Letters of Recommendation. I have heard from one CCC that I need to get as many as possible. Another CCC told me to get 4 or 5 good ones, that way I don't overload my package with too much information. If anyone know for sure what is best, I need some guidance. Thanks.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I had a question about Letters of Recommendation. I have heard from one CCC that I need to get as many as possible. Another CCC told me to get 4 or 5 good ones, that way I don't overload my package with too much information. If anyone know for sure what is best, I need some guidance. Thanks.
I had a previous board member tell me that you can't put too many things in your package. That being said though I would not include any letters from people that don't personally know you. Most board members will see right through that as an attempt to fluff your package up.

Doc White

FY09 Pilot Selectee
That makes more sense. I see how quality content coupled with a high number of letters would be the best route. Thanks for the input.

StillAlive

I've spent several hours on this site reading through most of the ECP threads and have a question that I see has been brought up on this specific thread. I have an LOR coming from my past CO (they had a change of command in January) and I will, of course, have one from my present CO [mind you both are 0-6s]. My Dept Head (O-6) said that he would happily give me one, too. So with LORs from three captains, is that just insufficient? Honestly, I am not asking opinions from anyone, moreso somone that has seen it the selection process. Additionally, what weight does an O-4 LOR have (Div. Head)? Anyone's input who has seen success w/ LORs would be greatly appreciated.