• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP)

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Link

short term ...
(1) FIXED WING PILOTS:
(A) 7509 (AV-8B) $10,000 PER ANNUM
(B) 7523 (F/A-18) $ 7,500 PER ANNUM
(C) 7543 (EA-6B) $ 5,000 PER ANNUM
(D) 7556/7 (KC-130) $10,000 PER ANNUM

(2) ROTARY WING/TILT ROTOR PILOTS:
(A) 7532 (MV-22) $10,000 PER ANNUM
(B) 7562 (CH-46) $ 5,000 PER ANNUM
(C) 7563 (UH-1) $10,000 PER ANNUM
(D) 7564/6 (CH-53) $ 7,500 PER ANNUM
(E) 7565 (AH-1) $10,000 PER ANNUM

(3) NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICERS: $ 2,500 PER ANNUM

long term ...
(1) FIXED WING PILOTS:
(A) 7509 (AV-8B) $20,000 PER ANNUM
(B) 7523 (F/A-18) $15,000 PER ANNUM
(C) 7543 (EA-6B) $10,000 PER ANNUM
(D) 7556/7 (KC-130) $20,000 PER ANNUM

(2) ROTARY WING/TILT ROTOR PILOTS:
(A) 7532 (MV-22) $20,000 PER ANNUM
(B) 7562 (CH-46) $10,000 PER ANNUM
(C) 7563 (UH-1) $20,000 PER ANNUM
(D) 7564/6 (CH-53) $15,000 PER ANNUM
(E) 7565 (AH-1) $20,000 PER ANNUM

(3) NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICERS: $ 5,000 PER ANNUM

S/F

submarinerssbn

if i already have 9 years of active duty service and am going to become a pilot or nfo would those be eligable to me as well later,

could you break down what the long term short term means?

and is it the same for navy and marine(99% sure it is just thought i'd ask)?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Hmm, or you could click the link and find out:

BASIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS. TO RECEIVE ACP, OFFICERS MUST
MEET THE FOLLOWING NON-WAIVERABLE CRITERIA DURING THE EFFECTIVE
DATES OF THE FY09 ACP PROGRAM (1 OCT 08 - 15 SEP 09):
B. BE A CAPTAIN OR MAJOR. CAPTAINS WHO HAVE PREVIOUSLY FAILED
TO SELECT FOR PROMOTION TO MAJOR ARE NOT ELIGIBLE.
E. HAVE NO MORE THAN 13 YEARS OF COMMISSIONED SERVICE (YCS) AT
THE TIME OF APPLICATION FOR LONG TERM CONTRACTS; HAVE NO MORE THAN
11 YCS AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION FOR SHORT TERM CONTRACTS.
SHORT-TERM CONTRACT. THIS OPTION IS ONLY AVAILABLE FOR
MARINES WITH 24 MONTHS OR MORE TO COMPLETE 13 YCS...
CONTRACT LENGTH WILL BE FOR THE NUMBER OF MONTHS AN
OFFICER HAS TO COMPLETE 13 YCS (MINIMUM 24 MONTHS).
LONG-TERM CONTRACT. THIS OPTION IS AVAILABLE FOR
CAPTAINS AND MAJORS WITH 36 MONTHS OR MORE TO COMPLETE 16 YCS...
CONTRACT LENGTH WILL BE FOR THE NUMBER OF MONTHS AN
OFFICER HAS TO COMPLETE 16 YCS (MINIMUM 36 MONTHS).

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
They are based upon years of commissioned service, not total service. Once you're done with your initial contract you should be eligible. The contracts are based on the amount of time to reach 16 years of commissioned service--if it's greater than 3 years, it'll be the long term contract; if less, a short term contract. I suppose you could also be at 10 YCS and just do a 3 year, but that's not done too often. I'm still amazed that some of the rotary/tilt-rotor bonuses beat the fixed-wing bonuses. That NEVER used to happen.

submarinerssbn

so the obligation i have to sign upon getting my wings will put me out past the eligability because i will have to already obligate for 8(nfo) or 9(pilot) right? that would put me past 16 years. but what your saying is that it is commisioned service and not active duty service correct, so after my first obligation for nfo or pilot then for the next 6 or 7 years i am eligable for those.

sorry if i am screwing this all up....

submarinerssbn

does anyone have one of these charts that has the growler on there(kinda jumping the gun but that is the platform i am shooting for, and i understand that this is a usmc thread but others from the navy side might view it and have a table, but i will do a search)

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
does anyone have one of these charts that has the growler on there(kinda jumping the gun but that is the platform i am shooting for, and i understand that this is a usmc thread but others from the navy side might view it and have a table, but i will do a search)

cart-before-horse-2.jpg

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Since the growler isn't in service yet, how do you expect the Navy to be offering bonuses to retain growler pilots?

And didn't I already link to the Navy version of this thread?

RIF

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
For those Marines who have served during peacetime, what did the bonus look like then? I'm sure there is still a need to retain pilots in certain airframes with a bonus but I just can't imagine it being as high as now ... thoughts?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The Navy does not do the bonus by airframe, it is the same for all pilots and NFO's (used to be different levels for NFO and pilot, I think they are the same now).

And fc2spyguy is right.......:eek:

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As I remember from before 2001, the helicopter bonuses were about half ($10-12000), but the fixed wing bonuses were consistently much higher ($18-20000). For awhile the 46 bonus was $7K. I originally signed on for that (what a retard), but was eventually able to switch to the V-22 bonus after transitioning.

Back then, it was purely based on the platforms that were more competitive with the airlines. Now the bonus is purely to keep guys in low-density MOSs (e.g. V-22) or highest OPTEMPO MOSs (e.g. UH/AH) in--keeping them from calling it quits.

tlord82

pilot
Anybody know the reason for the difference in Hornet vs Harrier pay? Are the Harriers just deploying more or are guys jumping ship at the cyclic rate for other reasons?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
As I remember from before 2001, the helicopter bonuses were about half ($10-12000), but the fixed wing bonuses were consistently much higher ($18-20000). For awhile the 46 bonus was $7K. I originally signed on for that (what a retard), but was eventually able to switch to the V-22 bonus after transitioning.

Back then, it was purely based on the platforms that were more competitive with the airlines. Now the bonus is purely to keep guys in low-density MOSs (e.g. V-22) or highest OPTEMPO MOSs (e.g. UH/AH) in--keeping them from calling it quits.

Interesting ... I didn't think of the airline factor but it makes complete sense. Thanks...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Anybody know the reason for the difference in Hornet vs Harrier pay? Are the Harriers just deploying more or are guys jumping ship at the cyclic rate for other reasons?

It's because we're better pilots and they love us more.:D

It's all about numbers. The smartest guy I ever talked to about the bonus was actually a grunt. He did his post NPS payback tour at HQMC as an analyst and could talk in great detail about how they determine the money figures and why some platforms got more than others. He could also explain to any (rational) grunt why pilots get bonuses and grunts don't (normally).

You have to leave emotion out of it. It's a business decision based on cost to train, experience levels needed in the fleet, and personnel demands. It has nothing to do with fair/unfair, skill, or respect.

People who use those terms don't understand the cost/benefit analysis process.

HQMC needs X number of asses in seats at various stages of the career path. If one community runs short, they will pay bonuses short of what it would take to replace them. If another community is fat, they are willing to piss them off and some of them will leave. If they underestimate that effect, their bonus will rise the next time around.

It's all about the money. The Man could give a rats ass about any of us.