• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 22 IWC DCO Reserve Board

zamtz

Explain the latter. Are you not TS-eligible? Or simply are you inferring NOT currently having a TS hurt you?

The age could have been it. I would recommend discussing with your recruiter and/or Region OIC to troubleshoot and possibly fix.
Dude i’ve been selected, i’m postulating why this other stellar candidate wasn’t selected while I was

Morivelle

Im thinking age and/or clearance eligibility. Only guesses though.
I am 42, at the moment enlisted only with confidential clearance because I was born in another country. So if I have been selected I don't think age matters, maybe the investigation to get the TS has had a negative result or maybe there are other reasons that we cannot know.

GCJ8404

The board doesn't give feedback and some recruiters will not disclose anything from the appraisal sheets. In some cases it is just a little phrase that could do it. I remember seeing an appraisal where the applicant had 10's from each board member but then the OIC had a phrase that said "I have 90% confidence in this candidate to ........." that right there was enough to keep him from getting selected.

Age could have been a factor as well.
Guys thanks for all the positive feedback here. I think it was age (just over 50, but a young 50) even though I had an approved age waiver. Oh well. Good luck to everyone else.

exNavyOffRec

I am 42, at the moment enlisted only with confidential clearance because I was born in another country. So if I have been selected I don't think age matters, maybe the investigation to get the TS has had a negative result or maybe there are other reasons that we cannot know.
age matters more than you think, so much so that the only ones they would allow past the age limit were those in critical skills, since you are currently enlisted you have a 1 for 1 as far as TIS which means they aren't really seeing you as 42 but as 42 minus years already served.

bryanteagle6

Sorry - been playing catch up. Lots to comment on (like no Marine DI at ODS) but ill just leave a few thoughts to help.
All the names are on one list with all designators.

SEP Board Selection Stats
METOC - 0
CW - 6
IP - 5
INTEL - 54

The IWO community managers control "the numbers or dashboard" as was discussed earlier. Historically it was rare or impressive to get selected first try. Many people needed 2 or 3 (4 in my case) looks before getting selected. The community is not as "healthy" as it once was so I have seen more people getting selected first look now. I think they are accepting less packages per board now. We are seeing people trying to get out too early or not getting qualified within the guidelines so they will look for red flags for that in the board. They look at the whole person concept. I'm also seeing more and more people trying for IP and they still only take 3-8 each board.

Last edited:

MajorThom13

Sorry - been playing catch up. Lots to comment on (like no Marine DI at ODS) but ill just leave a few thoughts to help.
All the names are on one list with all designators.

SEP Board Selection Stats
METOC - 0
CW - 6
IP - 5
INTEL - 54

The IWO community managers control "the numbers or dashboard" as was discussed earlier. Historically it was rare or impressive to get selected first try. Many people needed 2 or 3 (4 in my case) looks before getting selected. The community is not as "healthy" as it once was so I have seen more people getting selected first look now. I think they are accepting less packages per board now. We are seeing people trying to get out too early or not getting qualified within the guidelines so they will look for red flags for that in the board. They look at the whole person concept. I'm also seeing more and more people trying for IP and they still only take 3-8 each board.
Oh wow, no wonder a lot of us didn't get selected for IP. 5 is way lower than what people originally thought with them having 17 slots open.
I wonder why they put more priority on Intel? Cyber / IP is supposed to be in high demand and the most critical, with them always saying they can't find enough people.
Wonder how many people they hired for things like Public Affairs, Human Resources, ...?

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
5 is way lower than what people originally thought with them having 17 slots open
Those 17 are in total. According to the quad slide, there are 22 accessions per year (12 NAVET / 10 DCO). If there are two boards per year, there are about five slots per board for DCO. Those numbers can change based on the current inventory and the NAVET accessions.

DeeSmith

From what I've seen, I feel like everyone involved in the officer accession process does their due diligence to process the civilians much quicker than the currently enlisted selectees. Is it just me? @FormerRecruitingGuru

bryanteagle6

There are just more INTEL jobs (billets) than IP/CW. There is a priority on pushing the force towards cyber but the coded billets need to be there and technically (im going to get hammered by my CW and IP brethren) any IWO can fill those roles. I would never want to do a CW/IP job but I could. The big issue is - they need people who are willing to MOB/fill IA.

Speculation and opinion time ----- Many times a way qualified IP officer is "too busy" to volunteer for a mob and/or it affects their civilian career too much. So they fill them with INTEL. This year is a little unique but just to remind this thread - The mission of the Navy Reserve is to be ready to MOB! So when you are applying for the Reserves - you can oversell your incredibly busy civilian job.

The time it takes to process enlisted vs civilians has to do with the NRC and recruiter's knowledge of the conditional release process and any bonus pay or anything that needs to be wrapped up before they can be commissioned.

zamtz

From what I've seen, I feel like everyone involved in the officer accession process does their due diligence to process the civilians much quicker than the currently enlisted selectees. Is it just me? @FormerRecruitingGuru
I’m prior enlisted and already have a billet assigned to me, was selected in the Sep 22 board so I’m not sure what you’re saying is entirely true

jmald10

I’m prior enlisted and already have a billet assigned to me, was selected in the Sep 22 board so I’m not sure what you’re saying is entirely true
Just wanted to thank everyone here for the great advice and encouragement and congratulate everyone who made it. I have also been notified I have been selected for 1835. I have gotten my Welcome Aboard Letter with my billet , on the same unit I am currently drilling with as an enlisted.
I was one of the lucky ones this time but stay focused and do not give up. See you out there somewhere in the fleet shipmates and future shipmates

jmald10

You are probably going to want out of this ASAP. I am surprised they let you even do that.
I was told by a LCDR from a different squadron that this is conflict of interest. The letter said that I am IAP status so I guess I will be picked up for a different billet once I get actually commissioned and ready to apply for billets. I don’t even know how to get out of this unit since they sent me the letter already with my very same CO and XO in it. I think it is because this location is the only Intel unit closed to my HOR.