• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2012 IDC Boards

exNavyOffRec

I finally had a long talk with my recruiter on Friday. I think I got dumped. As I mentioned a few posts back, my original plan was to join the IDC on the enlisted side. Now my recruiter is saying that is probably my only bet at getting into the Navy at all. Her reasoning is it will stop the clock on me, age-wise, and let me do things like pursue a graduate degree without such a rush. Then once I'm in on the enlisted side I could pursue a commission from the inside. She had been very optimistic and such a hard charger, I had expected her to have a gameplan for the September boards, but instead all but said she was done with me.

It's disappointing of course, since if I decide not to take her advice I need to find another recruiter. But I can also see where she's coming from. There is a definite shift in her attitude. She had quite a few applicants in for this board. I met most of them and I can say they were all qualified. Not one got picked up though. So she's basically worked hard for 6 months with zero return, plus she's feeling just as dismayed and confused by the selections as everyone else. Not to mention I don't think the recruiters get any more guidance than we do, so she doesn't know how to groom the upcoming candidates she's going to find next.
I hate to give up without trying for at least one more board, but it looks like it will be like starting from scratch again, if I can even find another officer recruiter who's willing to work with me.

Blah. I have some thinking to do.

How old are you? What are your stats? I can tell you if she only worked on IDC people for 6 months she needs to prioritize better, as a recruiter we need to see what designators are going to give us the best shot of getting people in, not saying she shouldn't work with people like you but she should but all her eggs in one basket.

Devil Duck

You've been in for over a year now, right?
Chris, I actually left in the fall, made it home just long enough to unpack before being recalled. This time on 400 day orders. This once counts as a mobilization. Last one was a volunteer ADT for 139 days. At least I get to spend a second consecutive summer & Ramadan in the ME.

NavyHusky

How old are you? What are your stats? I can tell you if she only worked on IDC people for 6 months she needs to prioritize better, as a recruiter we need to see what designators are going to give us the best shot of getting people in, not saying she shouldn't work with people like you but she should but all her eggs in one basket.

37, 14 years in IT at a big research university, most of them as the senior systems admin for the research administration. Big focus on security and counterintrusion. But my degree was in audio engineering and my undergrad GPA wasn't great. I wasn't planning on doing all this way back when I was in college. Recent, non-degree work has been 4.0. But my old GPA plus lack of graduate degree are definite problems we were hoping to overcome with experience, job performance, and leadership experience.

I trust my recruiter, and so does the Navy. She keeps getting promoted. My only experience with her has been with the IDC, so I have no idea if her other applicants in other communities are getting picked up. But I know nobody going for IDC did.

My confidence in her is one of the reasons this is making me think, since I trust she's probably right.

cdb26

Chris, I actually left in the fall, made it home just long enough to unpack before being recalled. This time on 400 day orders. This once counts as a mobilization. Last one was a volunteer ADT for 139 days. At least I get to spend a second consecutive summer & Ramadan in the ME.
Ha, very nice...you back in Bahrain or elsewhere? I'm over there rather frequently if you want to meet up for a drink or something...I understand from my recruiter that training would more or less begin even before I report to Newport for DCOIC. Is this true? He said that I would need to get in touch with my likely billet (Molesworth) through VTC to begin the process. Any additional info would definitely be helpful in this regard. Thanks!

exNavyOffRec

37, 14 years in IT at a big research university, most of them as the senior systems admin for the research administration. Big focus on security and counterintrusion. But my degree was in audio engineering and my undergrad GPA wasn't great. I wasn't planning on doing all this way back when I was in college. Recent, non-degree work has been 4.0. But my old GPA plus lack of graduate degree are definite problems we were hoping to overcome with experience, job performance, and leadership experience.

I trust my recruiter, and so does the Navy. She keeps getting promoted. My only experience with her has been with the IDC, so I have no idea if her other applicants in other communities are getting picked up. But I know nobody going for IDC did.

My confidence in her is one of the reasons this is making me think, since I trust she's probably right.

Experience can be a plus, from what you have said it sounds as if she knew the shortcomings of your application and new ways to try and overcome them so that is reassuring, keep plugging away.

PapaK

One of my friends in the AF just commented to me that the AF is making some deep cuts. I've heard of similar cuts in the Navy. Is there any speculation on how this will affect us in September?

exNavyOffRec

One of my friends in the AF just commented to me that the AF is making some deep cuts. I've heard of similar cuts in the Navy. Is there any speculation on how this will affect us in September?

If you look at the cuts they aren't really that deep for the USN, they fall in line with the decom of the cruisers, as a matter of fact the enlisted recruiting goal is going up and overall the number of officer billets going away for OCS programs is only about 50.

Becks

Becks
Well, waiting for my pre-screening/surgery (wrist surgery 4 years ago) report to come back from MEPS so that we can schedule an appointment. It was already wavered once by the Army so hopefully it should be soon.
Additionally I know I already have a security clearance investigation (TS/SCI) in process for a DoD job in Washington and I was told you cannot have two active at the same time in OPM and my personnel rep from the NRD sent me my signature pages to complete. Anyone know how this will be handled with the Navy? Can the DoD one be transferred to Navy once its done?

Becks

Becks
As an update and for general info for anyone else who may be in this situation, I have an answer regarding my previous question. If you have a civilian DoD clearance in process or complete through OPM you will still submit your SF86 through the Navy but it will come back as not needing an investigation and you will be granted that clearance for the Navy. Nice and simple.

Devil Duck

You receive your commissioning documents the day you commission. It's basically a packet of papers, many of which you sign. I never received a select letter. Seems rather uneven, I know more folks you did not receive them than did. It took me a out six weeks from the time I commissioned to be in DEERS to be able to get an ID card.

Patience is a virtue; nothing moves quickly.

AVG

I'm IP. I just got a call from my NavRec. I will be sworn in Thursday. WOW! I have a smile from ear to ear. What an experience this has been. :cool: