• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2012 IDC Boards

Hector Torres

htorrespr
Welcome to the forums Hector. I am from the DC area.

I am really hoping to get in this time around. Some changes I made to my package include.
LOR from VP of my company
LOR from Sr Director
LOR from my manager
I also interviewed with a 2 star Admiral (who also wrote a note to the board), 2 Captains, and 1 LCDR (all in the IW community) and receieved outstanding recommendations.
Added a few more IT Certifications (MCITP, MCTS, RHCSA - Already hold MCP, MCSA)
Volunteered as the IT Director for a local hockey organization I play hockey at.

In addition, I worked for the goverenment for a number of years. I was a prior service IT2 in the Navy for 5 years, and I have a lot of experience in the IT realm, both as an engineer and as a leader.

If I am not selected, I will wait until next March and re-apply. The only thing I can do to make my package if that becomes the case is to start on my masters degree. I believe this is the only thing holding me back.

Thanks JasonB,

That's awesome! You look like an awesome candidate! Good luck and please keep us updated.

navgovie

IW Officer
well - finally an ensign in the us navy! the system does work!! just stick through with it and good luck guys! hit me up if you have any other questions, as for me, im off on a new adventure!
Indeed, the system does work (albeit, VERY slowly). After a year and half, I finally took my oath this past weekend. I am definitely looking forward to what the future may hold!

Good luck to those still in the process. As Joel said, persistence is the key. If at first you dont succeed (like me!) try, try again!

Hector Torres

htorrespr
Indeed, the system does work (albeit, VERY slowly). After a year and half, I finally took my oath this past weekend. I am definitely looking forward to what the future may hold!

Good luck to those still in the process. As Joel said, persistence is the key. If at first you dont succeed (like me!) try, try again!

Thank you and congratulations ENS! :) I will do what I can to improve my packet if I am not selected...not giving up!

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
Prior service (USAF); <4 years. Honorable Discharge.
-- (as far as I know, <4 just means I won't get O-1E)...
B.Sc. Network Technologies (GPA 3.26) (2007)
M.Sc. Computer, Information Systems and Network Security (GPA 3.87) (2008)
Numerous LORs from Academia (Professors) and Industry (Directors/Managers), Including 1x Ret. USN O-8.
15+ years in IT/Security industry, with progressive responsibilities/leadership. Last 2+ in DOD contracting.
-- [13 months as Regional (Midwest) IAO for USN Ech-II command. (2010)]
Certs: CISSP, CHFI, CEH, ITILv3; CNSSI 4011, 4013
Fully cleared SSBI in JPAS.
5x Officer interviews (all 10s), 4 from the IDC community.
Granted age waiver from community manager.

Getting ready to apply again (1815/1825). Probably missed spring due date, may have to wait for Sept. Not holding my breath for 5 slots and 200+ candidates, but can't give up now. Next package will be #6? Losing count.

Numerous LORs from Academia (Professors) and Industry (Directors/Managers), Including 1x Ret. USN O-8.
15+ years in IT/Security industry, with progressive responsibilities/leadership. Last 2+ in DOD contracting.

Getting ready to apply again (1815/1825). Probably missed spring due date, may have to wait for Sept. Not holding my breath for 5 slots and 200+ candidates, but can't give up now. Next package will be #6? Losing count.

Thats one hell of a package. Im suprised you havent been picked up.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME

Thats one hell of a package. Im suprised you havent been picked up.

Thanks. Apparently the boards are not so easily impressed, nor would I expect them to be. I started out building my package when I still only had my B.Sc. in '07. Finally applied with the M.Sc., CISSP, the 4011 and 4013, and a boatload of work history. Have added the CEH and CHFI over the last two years, and became a defense contractor (e.g. package improvement) in '09. Regrettably, I got a late start on returning to service (age), hence the waiver. And one of my officer interviews was from a former community manager (who also facilitated the age waiver for me). But based upon my experience with the board(s), the waiver does not appear to be the 'great equalizer' I had anticipated it would be. And that's *if* age is even the hurdle I'm fighting. And of course, there's the retirement issue (I'll have to waive retirement to get picked up at this point).

Of course, one never really knows for sure. NRD recruiters tell me my package is spot on, and my motivation statements have been strong, but that most fellow applicants are equally as strong and few if any required the age waiver. So I'll just keep plugging away at it until someone figures out I'm not going away. Or I'm the last man standing.

Thanks. Apparently the boards are not so easily impressed, nor would I expect them to be. I started out building my package when I still only had my B.Sc. in '07. Finally applied with the M.Sc., CISSP, the 4011 and 4013, and a boatload of work history. Have added the CEH and CHFI over the last two years, and became a defense contractor (e.g. package improvement) in '09. Regrettably, I got a late start on returning to service (age), hence the waiver. And one of my officer interviews was from a former community manager (who also facilitated the age waiver for me). But based upon my experience with the board(s), the waiver does not appear to be the 'great equalizer' I had anticipated it would be. And that's *if* age is even the hurdle I'm fighting. And of course, there's the retirement issue (I'll have to waive retirement to get picked up at this point).

Of course, one never really knows for sure. NRD recruiters tell me my package is spot on, and my motivation statements have been strong, but that most fellow applicants are equally as strong and few if any required the age waiver. So I'll just keep plugging away at it until someone figures out I'm not going away. Or I'm the last man standing.

I know what you mean. Ill keep applying until I am accepted. The board next month is my 3rd time at bat.

Hector Torres

htorrespr

JasonB beat me to it! That is one impressive packet, I can't believe you have not been picked up...makes me wonder where I stand w/out certs and a Masters :( ...like many, I will continue to improve my packet and try again, and again...good luck!

Gtitan

Talked with my recruiter yesterday, nothing new to report as expected. I doubt I will get picked up this time, so I'll just keep plugging.:)

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
Talked with my recruiter yesterday, nothing new to report as expected. I doubt I will get picked up this time, so I'll just keep plugging.:)

Why do you think you'll not get picked up? What do you think are your suspected/perceived issues or deficiencies?

Gtitan

Why do you think you'll not get picked up? What do you think are your suspected/perceived issues or deficiencies?
Oh turning 40 on Monday, no military experience, numbers look extremely limited, seems the experience of many herein is the first time is not good.:)

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
Oh turning 40 on Monday, no military experience, numbers look extremely limited, seems the experience of many herein is the first time is not good.:)

Well, for my own part, I'm currently 50 (which might explain the uphill battle I'm fighting), but I have also been at this for about 4 years now. Of course, you can't do anything about lacking prior service, and I don't know what the policies are for applicants who are not prior service. As for the numbers, they are driven by the fact that (to my knowledge), all branches are currently drawing down in most fields. I am also told that many active duty folks are moving to reserve duty rather than leaving altogether. This just leaves a few slots to be filled with new accessions.

Normally, I would say that if this is something you really want to do, you have to make your package as competitive as possible; address those things that you can (education, leadership, relevant skills, physical standards). However, I've done those things, and I'm still on the sidelines. I am fairly confident that while there is a pre-existing predisposition to favor younger men and women for officer slots (e.g. career longevity, concerns over mature personalities under command), that older candidates with competitive packages do get looked at. Maybe not as seriously as perhaps some younger candidates who lack a fully developed professional profile.

But if you don't place a bet, you certainly can't win.

Mr.Innocent

IP Officer USNR
Tick, tock, tick, tock. Man! March is moving slow.
Just waiting for the board.
I keep picturing a March Madness tree with all of our name on it and a Finals section with IP, IW, and Intel.

exNavyOffRec

Well, for my own part, I'm currently 50 (which might explain the uphill battle I'm fighting), but I have also been at this for about 4 years now. Of course, you can't do anything about lacking prior service, and I don't know what the policies are for applicants who are not prior service. As for the numbers, they are driven by the fact that (to my knowledge), all branches are currently drawing down in most fields. I am also told that many active duty folks are moving to reserve duty rather than leaving altogether. This just leaves a few slots to be filled with new accessions.

Normally, I would say that if this is something you really want to do, you have to make your package as competitive as possible; address those things that you can (education, leadership, relevant skills, physical standards). However, I've done those things, and I'm still on the sidelines. I am fairly confident that while there is a pre-existing predisposition to favor younger men and women for officer slots (e.g. career longevity, concerns over mature personalities under command), that older candidates with competitive packages do get looked at. Maybe not as seriously as perhaps some younger candidates who lack a fully developed professional profile.

But if you don't place a bet, you certainly can't win.
Those leaving active duty doesn't have much to do with it, there are different quotas for those with no military experience and those with military experience.