• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY-19 Aviation Bonus - active duty

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The one thing that's weird to me is it says it's for people with obligations ending after FY19 from initial commitment. Shouldn't it say earlier than FY19?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Anyone know anyone in Millington - when the FY 20 bonus message coming out? Says December, but I assume if it didn't come out today it won't be until after the new year.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So do people just not want to go to FTS HSC? I can understand the lower number for HSM, but I'm surprised HSC is higher.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was under the impression that HSC's officer manning has generally been an issue.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
As a former 85 guy I know a lot of people who were running for the hills. The navy destroyed that squadron back in ‘15 and it never really recovered.

I’ve been gone for a year and a half, and I’m glad I retired rather than trying to go FTS HSC. The career track just isn’t good in that community. My opinion of course.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I’d call it two factors affecting HSC FTS right now.

When 84 went away, it took avenues to make O-5 off the board. Rare is the occasion that a pilot goes to SCORE and makes O-5. Not to mention the abysmal O-5 1317 promotion rates over the last few years. As a data point, my last two years in the Navy, 85 had about a dozen FTS guys up for O-5 and one (maybe two) made it.

The other factor is that the ‘Navy helo SOF community’ is continually fighting for relevance and to stay alive with Big Navy. For as much good 85 provides, it’s an easy line item to get rid of in a budget. Even after everything from 2015/16, from what I’ve heard through the grapevine, the Navy is looking to cut 85 again, or at least it’s discussed.

Both of those factors are creating a ton of uncertainty in guys looking to switch from active duty, and guys that have been in the HSC FTS community are growing weary of the uncertainty and choosing other paths.

For me personally, having been through two stand ups and a shutdown, all of the above played in my decision to seek other avenues, and ultimately to get out the Navy. A lot of my peers switched to VR, decided to go the NOSC route, got out, or went regular SELRES. As with anything, it took the Navy a few years to catch on that HSC FTS dude’s are starting to bail.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What I find interesting though is a lot (but not all) of what you two are describing is hindsight stuff. Stuff you become more familiar with after becoming a FTS and learning the system. Also much of it isn't specific to HSC. For someone ending their initial obligation and doing one more flying tour, a lot of that doesn't really matter as much. But...

I get that this locks you in into another tour, which is where the pain significantly increases (or can). That wasn't something I had to worry about when I took my bonus.

I was under the impression that HSC's officer manning has generally been an issue.

Don't think of this as a "HSC" thing and think of it more as a "FTS" thing. The FTS community doesn't really care where you came from after your DH tour unless it hinders its ability to hand-jam you into whatever billet FTS wants you to be in, all the while making business rules "flexible" to fit FTS-needs, in favor of FTS. See also: NOSC selection.

I was very lucky to have the career I did, but I'm still bitter about the games the community played throughout the process...and I didn't even care about O-5.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
What I find interesting though is a lot (but not all) of what you two are describing is hindsight stuff. Stuff you become more familiar with after becoming a FTS and learning the system. Also much of it isn't specific to HSC. For someone ending their initial obligation and doing one more flying tour, a lot of that doesn't really matter as much. But...

I get that this locks you in into another tour, which is where the pain significantly increases (or can). That wasn't something I had to worry about when I took my bonus.

Don't think of this as a "HSC" thing and think of it more as a "FTS" thing. The FTS community doesn't really care where you came from after your DH tour unless it hinders its ability to hand-jam you into whatever billet FTS wants you to be in, all the while making business rules "flexible" to fit FTS-needs, in favor of FTS. See also: NOSC selection.

I was very lucky to have the career I did, but I'm still bitter about the games the community played throughout the process...and I didn't even care about O-5.

The reason it’s impacting HSC FTS is because 85 needs guys to fly so they keep them in the squadron to the extent of getting looked at on their first O-5 look while still in the squadron.

The perfect catch-22 is when you have HSC going to a board without a high water EP, or an EP but still in an ops squadron and not on a staff, etc. Over the last few years the boards have selected dudes in the staffs, and that’s been predominately all communities other than HSC.

Like you said, all the Navy sees and cares about is ‘FTS’, especially at the O-5 and higher level.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Per the PERS-43 Helo brief, this FY20 DH selection was 100% after Don't Pick me and Decliners for VFA 1310, HM, HSC, HSM, VAQ 1310, VRC, MPRF 1310, OP-T. Basically everyone except VQ(T) because they're the greatest pilots in the world.

I would expect max bonuses for all 1310s if you're in the forecasting business. May the odds forever be in your favor. By the way, this is the "API Redux" that PERS has been forecasting for a while. Probably looks like a T-Plateau vs a T-Notch.