• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 18 IWC DCO BOARD

USNAVY

I gave it my best and that's all I can do. I think next time I am going to make IP my first choice and interview with IP Officers

khestergk

My biggest fear is the prospect of IT requirements, I've work in RF and Telecom and a sure fit for IP. However, it appears they seem to want CISSP and other certs that have no bearing on my background or experience.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
My biggest fear is the prospect of IT requirements, I've work in RF and Telecom and a sure fit for IP. However, it appears they seem to want CISSP and other certs that have no bearing on my background or experience.
They want CISSP, STEM degrees and other useless garbage for DCO IP because the DCO IP applicant pool is comprised of people who have this stuff. They have to "rack and stack" people somehow and this is the easiest way for them to do it.

Please keep in mind that the CISSP, STEM degrees, et al. are completely useless to your success as a ReServe IP.

I can tell you that your RF/Telecom background will make you significantly more useful that any other IP because a vast majority of ReServe IP's have zero comms experience or background. RF/Comms is the number one area where ReServe IP's lack in knowledge and practical experience, and is the area that will help you when you are MOB'd as an IP.

Recommend you tweak your resume to highlight your RF/Telecom experience as much as possible because, in reality as a Reservist, you will be doing zero cyber related work, but will be relied on to know and understand comms.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
They want CISSP, STEM degrees and other useless garbage for DCO IP because the DCO IP applicant pool is comprised of people who have this stuff. They have to "rack and stack" people somehow and this is the easiest way for them to do it.

Please keep in mind that the CISSP, STEM degrees, et al. are completely useless to your success as a ReServe IP.

I can tell you that your RF/Telecom background will make you significantly more useful that any other IP because a vast majority of ReServe IP's have zero comms experience or background. RF/Comms is the number one area where ReServe IP's lack in knowledge and practical experience, and is the area that will help you when you are MOB'd as an IP.

Recommend you tweak your resume to highlight your RF/Telecom experience as much as possible because, in reality as a Reservist, you will be doing zero cyber related work, but will be relied on to know and understand comms.
Thanks for coming in to post this. How much overlap is there between Cryptologic Warfare Officer and Information Professional? The Navy COOL page list similar Certs for both but it seems that experience in the reserves differs depending on with whom you speak.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Thanks for coming in to post this. How much overlap is there between Cryptologic Warfare Officer and Information Professional? The Navy COOL page list similar Certs for both but it seems that experience in the reserves differs depending on with whom you speak.
Unfortunately, the only way the Navy and DoD have to quantify your skill or experience level is through certifications: http://www.cbtdirect.com/online-training/it-training/dod.asp

From a Navy and DoD perspective, if I have a CISSP, then I am "qualified" to be an Information Assurance System Architect Engineer. I've met people who have zero work experience (CISSP requires only stated work experience, and does not verify work experience) but who have the "certification" and are in those roles. Ask me how effective they are?

IP's are IT & comms and CW's are SIGINT. However, with the emergence of "cyber", both are fighting for skin and relevance in that game. In some Reserve units there is overlap of CW and IP "work" but it boils down to how competent you are in a given area. I know an IP that can run circles around any CW with respect to cyber fires, so, this individual worked in cyber fires when that area is traditionally a CW role.

In my general observations everyone and their freaking brother is trying to sell and to get themselves on this "cyber warrior" bandwagon. It's the new, hot thing.

For the IP's and CW's that I have know that mobilized, the CW's did IO Planning or Counter IED, and IP's did comms in Bahrain, Djibouti, or the sand box.

For "business as usual" (i.e., drill weekends), it's a grab bag of sitting around doing absolutely nothing, to working on nothing but "Readiness", to actually doing work. It all depends on your unit. But, for your first 3 years you will be focusing on getting qualified in your designator.

Also keep in mind that CNRFC only cares about mobilization readiness (are you qualified, do you have your GMT done, is your medical up to date). Peacetime, contributory support (helping the active duty folks) is not the goal of the Reserve force.

And, realistically, there is not much you can do over a weekend to help out the active duty command that your Reserve unit supports. Some are better than others and have real work to do, but they are rare.

The only real way to support and to get linked in with the active duty folks is to FLEX drill (i.e., drilling during the weekday).

Last edited:

sqlfunkateer

Question for the recruiters...(I have a local OR but he's been slammed lately and I'm trying to limit my attempts to be the "squeaky wheel")...when do I need to have all my forms, interviews, medical, etc together for submission this year?

As I recall the deadline was mid-late August, just want to independently confirm how much time I have. Would be really frustrating to have bureaucratic delays up and down the chain scuppering my effort this year, but then, it is government...

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Question for the recruiters...(I have a local OR but he's been slammed lately and I'm trying to limit my attempts to be the "squeaky wheel")...when do I need to have all my forms, interviews, medical, etc together for submission this year?

As I recall the deadline was mid-late August, just want to independently confirm how much time I have. Would be really frustrating to have bureaucratic delays up and down the chain scuppering my effort this year, but then, it is government...

That deadline date is off, way off. The "I don't want to be the squeaky wheel" excuse is bogus. Get in touch with your OR, even if he happens to be busy.

sqlfunkateer

Technically he's off this week (holiday) and yet I'm still emailing him repeatedly, so, yeah, I'm being persistently annoying, but was just going for a little independent verification. He didn't seem too concerned about the deadline but I had thought he said it was August...and I'm out for two weeks starting next week for a road trip, so I was getting nervous and wanted a little redundant confirmation from you folks.

--EDIT Huh, minutes later he just replied. If he happens to be lurking here....thanks!

USNAVY

Package submitted...I ended up with two 9s (both outstanding) for my interview scores and i found out that the OIC in my region did not give out confidence levels higher than the one she gave me. Here we go...

exNavyOffRec

Package submitted...I ended up with two 9s (both outstanding) for my interview scores and i found out that the OIC in my region did not give out confidence levels higher than the one she gave me. Here we go...

That is why some NRD's get several picks and others none, for years NRD Richmond would get several people picked a year.

exNavyOffRec

What exactly does that mean? If you don't mind answering. Is this a bad thing?
It just means that NRD Richmond had candidates that fit the profile better than other NRD's, no one NRD gets a specific number of billets so everyone is competing against each other, that is why generally you need 10's to be competitive at the board.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
It just means that NRD Richmond had candidates that fit the profile better than other NRD's, no one NRD gets a specific number of billets so everyone is competing against each other, that is why generally you need 10's to be competitive at the board.
And good luck getting all 10's out of NRD Washington, D.C. You might as well move to a location in another NRD.