• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 18 IWC DCO BOARD

Bmore84

Hello, I was curious about competitiveness on background. I am prior enlisted CT (E-6 with SW pin) 8 years in. Deployments to Africa, Iraq, Afghanistan. Forward deployed destroyer three years and a carrier for two. I worked at a major agency and was selected for team leader in special projects. 3.8 GPA Intelligence Analysis minor: pol-sci & Asian studies from a good school. Selected for a intelligence operations job at another agency, it's in holding because of the hiring freeze but I have a contract with them for fed employment. I also previously started and managed a successful small business negotiating large contracts for major corporations. I do not have a masters, which is a concern area, but I am hoping Navy, intelligence, and management experience win out over a graduate degree.

Thanks and good luck to all. Also does anyone have any idea what the board covers?

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Hello, I was curious about competitiveness on background... I do not have a masters, which is a concern area, but I am hoping Navy, intelligence, and management experience win out over a graduate degree...

Good luck trying to get accepted. Boards have put out that they want masters degrees. Exceptional applicants who have only a bachelors might have a chance.

Latest word on the street is 'maybe', but you had better be the bee's-knees... You could end up being the 'token' non-graduate degree pick-up.

Like I said on Reddit, your chances of selection are exactly 0% if you don't apply.

Bmore84

I hear you and thank you for the feedback. I would be content with being a "token non-grad." I loved being in the Navy, the only reason I got out was to pursue a degree from an actual university. I was deployed for nearly 9 years. My shore tour was with a tactical unit in Afghan, Iraq, and Africa. Before getting out, I was being pushed for air crew or to goto another tactical unit. I would not have had the opportunity to get my degree had I stayed in.

Last edited:

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Like I said on Reddit, your chances of selection are exactly 0% if you don't apply.

To all the lurkers on the fence...

I hear/see a number of folks who try to 'gauge their chances' before going through with the application process. I say if you want it, find out what programs you qualify for, which shouldn't take more than 30 mins (I'm being generous), and then start the process. Especially for a DCO, it's not like your life changes dramatically by virtue of applying...

Bmore84

What can I expect as far as the board is concerned. Are there specific areas I should brush up on before the board or is it more along the lines of a corporate interview? Thank you again for your time.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
What can I expect as far as the board is concerned. Are there specific areas I should brush up on before the board or is it more along the lines of a corporate interview? Thank you again for your time.
Meh, it's not really something you can cram for. I think the best comparison would be a mix of a college admissions interview + technical interview. Just be ready to talk about your resume, yourself, and your reasons for wanting to be an officer in the IWC. There's no one-fit right answer (only you know your story and why it's awesome), so be true to yourself and act accordingly.

Bmore84

Meh, it's not really something you can cram for. I think the best comparison would be a mix of a college admissions interview + technical interview. Just be ready to talk about your resume, yourself, and your reasons for wanting to be an officer in the IWC. There's no one-fit right answer (only you know your story and why it's awesome), so be true to yourself and act accordingly.
Thanks for the information. I am trying to get up to speed on community changes since I got. I think aside from that, the best thing I can do is just try to accurately represent myself with confidence. Looking forward to the opportunity and I'll reply with my thoughts after the board. Thank you all again for the information.

jagM3

I'm prior enlisted with significant experience and lacked a masters degree and was not selected for 3 consecutive boards but otherwise had a strong package. What did I do to eventually get selected? Being prior enlisted, I still had 12 months of GI Bill benefits left, and I used my GI Bill to get an MBA from a top-tier school in 12 months and was selected on the very next board after conferring my masters, it was as easy as that and the Navy wanted that box checked, so I checked it. When I was selected, I never met another reserve office in my cohort (or in later selections) that did not have a masters degree (except for one dude who was a SEAL with a Navy Cross, but that is certainly the exception to the norm--no one could compete with this guy). Knew many other prior enlisted guys with solid experience who lacked a masters degree and were not selected. Not saying don't apply, but if you are prior enlisted and have a great package but think your management experience will be enough to make up for a masters degree, it likely won't given the incredible strength of applicants and recent selectees. There are Deputy Assistant Secretaries of Defense (DASDs), senior VPs from Goldman Sachs, international relations professors from Yale, 1811 federal agents who Supervisory Special Agents and ASACs, etc. that are applying to this program who you are competing with who for some ungodly reason all want to be Navy reserve ensigns -- will your management experience be able to compete with that when there are so few who are selected? The program is only getting more competitive, and I think you will be hard pressed to see a token pick of a candidate who only a bachelors degree. Best of luck.

Bmore84

Thank you for all the advice and congratulations on making it through. The defacto MA/MS requirement is a little disappointing. My current employer plans on sending me to get a Masters eventually, but deploying to remote areas is our bread and butter. I don't foresee myself being in a position to obtain a Masters within the near future. I am hoping I have the opportunity to knock one out before I fall outside the age requirement. Thank you again for the advice and congratulations on sticking with it and seeing it through!

USNAVY

Speaking of Master's I just wanted to ask what my chances might be. I have started my Masters with 4 classes completed GPA: 3.875 and I am currently in the process of being officially accepted into my Masters program at FSU. I am prior enlisted OS with 4.0 Evals, Honor Graduate and Achievement Medals, and references from O-6s / 0-5s and one Dr. I have strong leadership as I lead sailors, substitute teached, and was an Advisor at FSU. Now I am a Defense Contractor for the Navy. Secret Clearance, TS eligible. Do I have a shot? Thoughts??

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Speaking of Master's I just wanted to ask what my chances might be. I have started my Masters with 4 classes completed GPA: 3.875 and I am currently in the process of being officially accepted into my Masters program at FSU. I am prior enlisted OS with 4.0 Evals, Honor Graduate and Achievement Medals, and references from O-6s / 0-5s and one Dr. I have strong leadership as I lead sailors, substitute teached, and was an Advisor at FSU. Now I am a Defense Contractor for the Navy. Secret Clearance, TS eligible. Do I have a shot? Thoughts??

I wouldn't say "slim", but I will say a notch above it. For every one of you, there's probably dozens more applying to this board. Prior enlisted, Defense Contractor, references from senior officers, yatta yatta. The difference is that some of them are either prior/reserve IWC enlisted who have the experience needed, have masters degrees, and/or in civilian jobs that line up with the community they're applying for.

Not having a master's puts you at a very competitive disadvantage.

sqlfunkateer

Just curious...do you see a variance on the masters degree stuff in between applicants for IP/1825 vs Intel? I would expect a higher emphasis on the formal education for the latter, that would make more sense just given my (admittedly ignorant) perception of the roles/communities. 15 years in civilian IT has certainly jaded me on the inexperienced masters degree kid (vs the capable/experienced guy with an non-IT bachelors, or none at all).

Still, I'm looking into starting a MS IT Mgmt soon, once I pass (or don't pass) CISSP certification...accelerated to complete within 1 year so I'd be "in progress" this year, but completed before the boards FY19 in case of nonselect...

FormerRecruitingGuru

Just curious...do you see a variance on the masters degree stuff in between applicants for IP/1825 vs Intel? I would expect a higher emphasis on the formal education for the latter, that would make more sense just given my (admittedly ignorant) perception of the roles/communities. 15 years in civilian IT has certainly jaded me on the inexperienced masters degree kid (vs the capable/experienced guy with an non-IT bachelors, or none at all).

Still, I'm looking into starting a MS IT Mgmt soon, once I pass (or don't pass) CISSP certification...accelerated to complete within 1 year so I'd be "in progress" this year, but completed before the boards FY19 in case of nonselect...

The masters degree is across all IWC designators. Better yet, across ALL reserve commission programs.

USNAVY

Thanks for the info my buddy is currently reserve intel I have been getting a lot of info from him. I understand it is very tough without a masters but at least I have classes under my belt with a good GPA. From what I've gathered they board really looks for masters with good GPA, excellent leadership and the overall applicant...? I applied to Supply before and one of the guys I interviewed with said i have a small edge because i am at least working on my masters and flat out told me I am going to be an Officer because of my leadership experience / potential. The question is when, not if i will get selected I guess. I understand intel is a different beast than supply

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Thanks for the info my buddy is currently reserve intel I have been getting a lot of info from him. I understand it is very tough without a masters but at least I have classes under my belt with a good GPA. From what I've gathered they board really looks for masters with good GPA, excellent leadership and the overall applicant...? I applied to Supply before and one of the guys I interviewed with said i have a small edge because i am at least working on my masters and flat out told me I am going to be an Officer because of my leadership experience / potential. The question is when, not if i will get selected I guess. I understand intel is a different beast than supply

You're proving my point. The standards for DCO programs have changed over the years and even substantially over the past 3-4 years. What might have been considered competitive years back might not be now. I talk to reserve officers and many of them joined/we're accepted with only a bachelors degree. When I show them what NRC is looking for now, they're astonished. Many times with the saying "oh yeah no way could I join nowadays".